still unable to edit site and not receiving an answer to last problem posted hours ag

Status
Not open for further replies.

mermade

Reaction score
still unable to edit site and not receiving an answer to last problem posted hours ago. i need help as am obviously computer illiterate. still says O objects in file

Last edited:

vishal

-::-X10 Guru-::-
Community Support
Reaction score
Re: still unable to edit site and not receiving an answer to last problem posted hour

Can you access your c panel

mermade

Reaction score
Re: still unable to edit site and not receiving an answer to last problem posted hour

no i dont think so but that's also because i don't know which bit the cpanel is. i did not set the site up and have no idea what's what. usually i click on the deskltop icon "x10hosting web server" and a window opens (https://mermadeit.x10hosting.com:2078/) with all relevant info and i can go from there. but now it simply says it is empty saying 0 objects. (the site is up though) i get no further.someone else asked what program was used to create the site, but i don't know this. surely there's a record of it i can find if directeear with me and . It's been two days now

Zubair

Community Leader
Community Support
Reaction score

Access your cpanel at http://chopin.x10hosting.com:2082

After login Click on File Manager, There you can upload your website and edit it..

If having more problem post back

mermade

Reaction score

yes thanks,now i can see my files, but it all looks very different to what i am used to, and am not sure how to open them/work on them . before i dragged one to the desk top edited and dragged back. i tried this now but it didn't work.

Zubair

Community Leader
Community Support
Reaction score

Select the file which you want to edit and then click on code editor on TOP of cpanel..
There you can edit files..

mermade

Reaction score

i select a file , click on code editor, screen says it's loading, but then stays the same

Zubair

Community Leader
Community Support
Reaction score

i select a file , click on code editor, screen says it's loading, but then stays the same

What is the extension of file which you are trying to edit.. e.g .html .php .aspx .css ???

Try downloading this file and edit it.. Then Upload the file again

mermade

Reaction score

it's .shtm, i can download it but not alter it

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score

The link you had on your desktop would be web disk. Not sure why that currently fail, but it could be a firewall/router thing, have you recently made any changes in how you connect to Internet or installed any firewall?

As for not being able to edit the files in the file manager, can you please check what it says in the column perms when you list the files in the file manager?

mermade

Reaction score

made no changes to the computer
sorry, what is the column perms, is it connected to "change permissions"?

mermade

Reaction score

no, made no changes. the only thing was the account had been suspended for inactivity, then i unsuspended it, and while the site went up the editing stuff didn't work.
sorry but what is a "column perms" is it connected to the "change permissions" i have on the file mamager?

mermade

Reaction score

oh,,,, i get it, the column "perms". well just the number "0644"

Zubair

Community Leader
Community Support
Reaction score

oh,,,, i get it, the column "perms". well just the number "0644"

Your permissions are correct...

mermade

Reaction score

so what now

Zubair

Community Leader
Community Support
Reaction score

it's .shtm, i can download it but not alter it

What error you got when try to upload it again to your account??

mermade

Reaction score

no. i downloaded it then clicked on it but the cursor didn't edit it, nothing changed. do i have to move it somewhere else for this to be possible?

Zubair

Community Leader
Community Support
Reaction score

no. i downloaded it then clicked on it but the cursor didn't edit it, nothing changed. do i have to move it somewhere else for this to be possible?

Which Operating system you are using??
Which tool you are using to edit the file??

Did you try moving this file to any other location??

mermade

Reaction score

remember i'm illiterate. what's an example of an operating system so i can tell you what mine is.
i simply tried to drag it to the desk top but that didn't work. don't know what you mean by tool. before i just had to click into it

Zubair

Community Leader
Community Support
Reaction score

remember i'm illiterate. what's an example of an operating system so i can tell you what mine is.
i simply tried to drag it to the desk top but that didn't work. don't know what you mean by tool. before i just had to click into it

You need a software to edit these pages..

Like notepad or notepad++
These are used for coding only..

If you want easy graphical editing then Use Adobe Dreamweaver

Status
Not open for further replies.