Would you support it?

• Yes!

Votes: 11 68.8%
  • No

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters

LHVWB

Reaction score
I already don't support IE6 for things that I make. Although supporting IE 7 is a good idea. Some of my schools computers still actually use IE6 instead of IE7, they are so ancient. :/

dyreplus

Reaction score
My mother has to use IE6 because of some program/site that she uses for work. It doesn't support IE7 ... I'm sure there are others like it out there. -_- People need to get with the times, really.....

Alejandro

Staff
Staff member
Community Support
Reaction score
Completely support it! And I speak as a developer because I don't use IE6, so I really don't care what everyone experiences, but it really is a pain to have to special code for IE6, specially when you only have Vista or Windows 7.

I think MS should figure out some forced update, just like in Windows Live Messenger, adding a function to change the version like in IE 8 BETA (the "Emulate IE 7" option).

olliepop

Reaction score
IE6 causes so many problems for users of my sites. Screw ie6.
+rep

The Real Rebel

Reaction score
IE6 is the worst thing known to man, me too, speaking as a developer never code with IE at all, I codse with FF because if you code something on IE (watchin IE make little edits) Something will go wrong for certain with other browsers, TBH IE all together is crap, as ive said before (I,E = Intermmitent Exploder) xD

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
To be honest Stop IE would be a good target if MS continue refusing to make it more compliant. But this is a good start anyway.

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
Aside from being ancient for web developers, it is also a security risk too.
I agree with Ale, they should put out a forced upgrade.

Your poll is confusing, is it asking if we support IE6 or support stopping IE6?
I voted no because I thought it was for supporting IE6 as a web developer.

Last edited:

essellar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I stopped supporting IE6 a long time ago for my own work, but I can assure everyone here that a forced upgrade is not going to happen any time soon. Why not? The cost of upgrading corporate intranet applications, plain and simple, and it's those behind-the-firewall applications where the revenue (and the liabilities) for a company like Microsoft lies. And for those of you who think supporting IE6 is a pain, you might want to think about having to support Netscape Navigator 4.x as late as five years ago...

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Thank you for bringing up this old thread I started a year ago. It's interesting to see how this problem still continue to annoy all the hard working web designers even today.

I the meantime I found a nice little RIP site for IE6 (http://ripie6.com/). Thy are right, we don't need to make it go away, it's already dead. We just have to spread the word.

Your poll is confusing, is it asking if we support IE6 or support stopping IE6?
I voted no because I thought it was for supporting IE6 as a web developer.

Yes I can see that now, but being a year old thread I can't edit it. Anyway it's about supporting StopIE6 initiative (that's why theres a Yes! with a "!") not supporting IE6, for Google Apps, Google Mail and Google Calendar.

EDIT:
I forgot to mention that Google will stop supporting IE6 and other old browsers over the course of 2010.

Last edited: