Student-run web magazine - The Other Side Up

shant93

Reaction score
The Other Side Up - Student-run web magazine

http://theothersideup.co.cc
http://0x31.x10hosting.com/theothersideup

It's an online web magazine started by me and a few friends**, it doesn't have much content, but the layout is practically done.

What's your opinion on the layout and the accessibility of the site?

Also, we have regular (almost weekly) updates by every team member (see 'team' page) and occasional posts by special contributions. Every 12 weeks we make an issue, and in the future we plan on selling printed copies.

What are your opinions on this system?

Also, if you want to join the team, feel free to submit some special contributions to the editor in chief (shant93@gmail.com), and if, after a few contributions, we find you are good at it (writing/drawing or any other printable work), we'll add you to the team, under the condition that you make regular posts.

------------------------------------------
We are not posting anything now because it is final exam week, but we will continue pretty soon.
Yes I do plan on changing the width to 960px, it is currently at 800px, unless you suggest otherwise

**well, actually it sort of isn't but for not-so-obvious legal reasons I cannot say who started it and where the title comes from, but don't worry, everybody involved gave consent.

Edit:
Can a mod or an admin move this to the graphics forum? Or is this the right place?

Last edited:

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Looks promising so far, eagerly awaiting the content.

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
I really like the header typography, it's not easy to get it done well and you seem to have managed. Although I would recommend you change it from 'The team' to either 'The Team' or just 'Team' as the non-capitalisation looks a bit odd.
The content below definitely needs the widening you suggest and it also looks like you are planning on placing a few too many adverts on the page (personally I would say it would be better without the skyscraper ad).
The forum links well with the style of the page, although it would be a little better if you used your own custom replacement for the blue border around the topics.

shant93

Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback!

Lemon-tree: I agree, there may be a bit too many ads, but I was under the impression that the skyscraper ad was the one that I would keep and get rid of the others. For the forum, I was having a really hard time getting around the phpBB3's parsing and I could not include my own CSS files. I guess I'll try to tackle that after the final exams are over.

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
In its current state, the skyscraper makes the content too narrow, but perhaps once you widen the content then it may be the one to keep; it's really up to you.
Good luck with the exams.

marieannevi25

Reaction score
The colour combinations are on the money. Nice header, looks very indulging, however, there should also be some contents. I am looking forward for it :biggrin:

shant93

Reaction score
About that... apparently pre-university (french canada "CEGEP") is a lot more work-intensive than expected... We don't have any plans for it anytime soon