Stuff making iPad useful

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I recently stumbled upon some really useful apps and platforms for use in iPad and other future tablets so I decided to make a thread about useful apps and services that can make iPad revolution meaningful. I encourage everyone to post things own "discoveries" here.

Here's my first post.

Adobe Works Around Apple with New Digital Publishing Technology
It's a New Digital Publishing Platform form Adobe (yes Adobe) and it doesn't use Flash.
Read more at: http://prodesigntools.com/adobe-works-around-apple-with-new-digital-publishing-technology.html

Last edited:

wongers

Reaction score
whats the deal with the hatred between adobe and apple and flash and stuffs at the moment?

DeadBattery

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
Here are some useful apps available.
Instapaper- save webpages for reading later. It's free or you can get the Pro version.
CloudBrowse- it's meant for the iPhone right now but they are making an iPad app. Basically, it lets you control a browser on a regular computer so you can run Flash.
Desktop- This lets you use 2 of the installed programs at the same time so you can multitask a little better,

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Nice app that was being created here. I guess it's Adobe's way of getting revenge at Apple for not allowing Flash :p

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I don't thinks it is a question of revenge it's more like adopting to current situation and making users happy (something Apple should consider doing in the future regardless of Flash or any particular technology, but in general).

monkeymhz

Reaction score
Nah flash is good for its use, HTML5 is nice. But its no walk in the park like flash. Its going to be much more intensive overall.

1 thing Apple lacks is respect some times. I respect Apple for their strides and ++ they have done for the tech world but they have done alot of stupid stuff as well. But haven't we all.

Last edited:

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
Nah flash is good for its use, HTML5 is nice. But its no walk in the park like flash. Its going to be much more intensive overall.

1 thing Apple lacks is respect some times. I respect Apple for their strides and ++ they have done for the tech world but they have done alot of stupid stuff as well. But haven't we all.

Apple were the first to get rid of terminal. They were the first to get rid of the big floppy disks. People flamed them for that. In fact, they're flaming them exactly the same as they're flaming them now, for not supporting flash.

Also, have you ever used flash on a touch screen? I have. It's not very good.

~Callum

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Yes but theres much more to Flash then fancy animations and games. Flash is a platform and it's not that bad when you really think about it. Flex (AIR) is something you can't just ignore and it's not as bad as you think.

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
Flash would be good if it had been built more efficiently.

My CPU usually stays between 30% and 50% when I'm using it (IRC, internet, dynamic wallpaper, msn, itunes, text editor, finder window, xampp). It idles at 20%, and when I close everything I can get it down to 5% sometimes. Flash uses 20%. Apple.com/html5 uses between 3% and 7% more than normal browsing.

I ran all these tests myself, so it's not that baised :)

~Callum

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Performance efficiently is something that could change in the future. That's a technical issue that people can work on. If Adobe is ready to make alternative ways to deploy their technology on Apple devices then I think they are more then ready to make Flash more efficient. I don't believe they (Adobe) are not aware of how inefficient Flash is. The know better then us that it's time to work on that issue. It's just a mater of time I think.

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
Performance efficiently is something that could change in the future. That's a technical issue that people can work on. If Adobe is ready to make alternative ways to deploy their technology on Apple devices then I think they are more then ready to make Flash more efficient. I don't believe they (Adobe) are not aware of how inefficient Flash is. The know better then us that it's time to work on that issue. It's just a mater of time I think.

And I'm sure that when Adobe make an version of flash that:

A) Works
B) Doesn't eat battery

then apple will use it.

~Callum

mattblog

Reaction score
whats the deal with the hatred between adobe and apple and flash and stuffs at the moment?

Well there is a valid point too that flash slows down computers so what do you think it would do to hand held devices.