suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalanac

Reaction score
Is it really unreasonable to expect people to sign on to the forum one a fortnight in exchange for good quality free hosting?

If there wasn't an activity requirement then it would leave the way for people to create a site, loose interest and just leave it there, taking up space and resources on the servers.

I check every now and then for maintenance and upgrade announcements, something of interest to most webmasters.

Last edited:

untit1ed

Reaction score
Is it really unreasonable to expect people to sign on to the forum one a fortnight in exchange for good quality free hosting?

If there wasn't an activity requirement then it would leave the way for people to create a site, loose interest and just leave it there, taking up space and resources on the servers.

I check every now and then for maintenance and upgrade announcements, something of interest to most webmasters.
I guess that the fact that I am using my control panel is good enough for that reason.
Edit:
but those were the terms you agreed by. if you did not think those terms were "cool" then why did you accept them?
Don't be so naive, not many people read agreement where money are not involved.
I read them in 2 cases:
1. I provided my private information, that I do not want to be available to public.
2. I paid for the service.

Last edited:

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
Don't be so naive, not many people read agreement where money are not involved.
I read them in 2 cases:
1. I provided my private information, that I do not want to be available to public.
2. I paid for the service.

Fine. Go sign up for a paid service.

You are getting something free and you are complaining about the minimal requirements x10 asks of you?

untit1ed

Reaction score
Fine. Go sign up for a paid service.

You are getting something free and you are complaining about the minimal requirements x10 asks of you?
You don't understand. I am not complaining, I just think it is useless and kind of annoying. They can ask me to reboot my computer at least once a day, but it won't change anything. I can see their intentions, it doesn't work because now the only reason I go to these forums is just to read this thread =)

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
You don't understand. I am not complaining, I just think it is useless and kind of annoying. They can ask me to reboot my computer at least once a day, but it won't change anything. I can see their intentions, it doesn't work because now the only reason I go to these forums is just to read this thread =)

You're in luck, the inactivity policy was recently changed a few days ago.

You now only have to log in to the forums once a month instead of once every two weeks.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
Note that once a month does in reality mean that the script will check if you logged in in the past 31 days, so the requirement would mean within 31 days of the last visit.

stpvoice

Community Support Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
The inactivity system is in place to try and filter out those illegitamite websites that are just consuming server resources, making the service slower for other legitimate user. You might not know it, but its actually saving you a lot of problems in terms of site speed and reliability. It's a small price to pay for such great hosting, so you just have to deal with it.

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
The inactivity system is in place to try and filter out those illegitamite websites that are just consuming server resources, making the service slower for other legitimate user. You might not know it, but its actually saving you a lot of problems in terms of site speed and reliability. It's a small price to pay for such great hosting, so you just have to deal with it.

This is true.

Also, I forgot to include this in my previous post - If you are not able to log in to the forums once every 31 days, you can pay a mere $3 to not have to log in to the forums at all for an entire year. I have a page on my website that gives instructions on how to make this purchase.

http://parkzer.co.cc/x10hosting.php?id=inactivity

stpvoice

Community Support Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
This is true.

Also, I forgot to include this in my previous post - If you are not able to log in to the forums once every 31 days, you can pay a mere $3 to not have to log in to the forums at all for an entire year. I have a page on my website that gives instructions on how to make this purchase.

http://parkzer.co.cc/x10hosting.php?id=inactivity
Would you mind if I quoted that URL in future on these forums when helping? :nuts::)

stpvoice

Community Support Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
I'd rather ask...after all, you have pretty extensive copyright stuff at the bottom of that page-don't want to mess with that :)

Edit: There's some pretty good tutorials on your site! Well done. :) I can see you are a dedicated staff member.

Last edited:

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
I'd rather ask...after all, you have pretty extensive copyright stuff at the bottom of that page-don't want to mess with that :)

Edit: There's some pretty good tutorials on your site! Well done. :) I can see you are a dedicated staff member.

lol Linking to my website is ok - as long as you're not copying and pasting my work into other websites, I'm fine. I try to help people avoid trouble by disabling right cilcking and highlighting on my website.

And thanks. :)

stpvoice

Community Support Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
lol Linking to my website is ok - as long as you're not copying and pasting my work into other websites, I'm fine. I try to help people avoid trouble by disabling right cilcking and highlighting on my website.

And thanks. :)
Ahhhh, clever. I used to have a site using an old login script, that would redirect to a protected url that wasnt protected..its just nobody knew it. So to avoid people seeing it in the status bar when they hovered their mouse over a link I found this cool javascript that would make text bounce from side to side in the status bar. That was pretty cool. Now I use joomla. lol.

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
Ahhhh, clever. I used to have a site using an old login script, that would redirect to a protected url that wasnt protected..its just nobody knew it. So to avoid people seeing it in the status bar when they hovered their mouse over a link I found this cool javascript that would make text bounce from side to side in the status bar. That was pretty cool. Now I use joomla. lol.

Javascript can be unreliable at times, as a lot of people install NoScript on their Firefox. I don't know why, though, because a lot of Javascript is not harmful and greatly enhances user experience on websites.

stpvoice

Community Support Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
I soon moved on from that though....this was years ago mind. :) Then Joomla happened. I love it. I doubt that script would even work with any of today's browsers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.