Taking Space out a CD

Wizet

Reaction score
When I removed a file out if my dvd the space says that it is still taken. When something gets deleted out of a dvd cd isn't the space supposed to be gone not taken up? The thing is for my dvd i just wanted to delete the file but now that it is deleted the space that it took up is still sitting there. Does anyone have a solution of how I make my dvd back to full space because I plan on using it again.

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
On a DVD±R or CD-R, the space cannot be reclaimed, as it is permanently burned in and can't be filled. You can only reclaim space on a DVD±RW or CD-RW.

Wizet

Reaction score
Oh well that sucks, because I drained half the space for nothing.

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
I didn't actually know that you could even remove or add files on a CD-R? I thought once you burned it, the CD becomes final and you can't change it whatsoever?

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
Windows' own built in tool allows you to overwrite files with the same name, as the disc isn't closed. It's only when the disc is closed that you cannot edit it.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
As others have said above, unless the disk is open and is a rewritable disk, anything saved to the disk is there pernamently and cannot be removed :)