The best mobile operating system...

dharshan

Reaction score
Iphone os came out before the smart phone which uses android was launch... and to be honest symbian and other stuff have been around for a while.. My point is that now you have two Phone Oss on the lead, and being an open ended system, android would knock over i phone pretty quickly..

hot100

Reaction score
I haven't had the the opportunity to work with an Android OS. I am hooked on the Symbian platform. My brand of choice is the Finnish Nokia which I have found to tramp any other developer in the smartphone business.

I have had an Asus communicator on WM6 and windows mobile though robust and gives you access to tons of applications and accessories, I still find that in order to enjoy you windows mobile device to the fullest, it needs to have a large screen and that's too cumbersome from a business perspective.

The Nokias are now way slimmer and sleeker and they too offer a wide range of applications and accessories. They have managed to develop a really light micro computer with such an ergonomic interface that it will take a while before competitors like the Blackberry and the latest Samsungs catch up.

Platform of choice. Symbian( the Sonyericsson UIQ inclusive)

CWeb Creative

Reaction score
Right now i would have to say windows mobile not counting the iphone os but android has great potential. It is still in the early stages and the phones are not yet using the full power of the phone. Windows Mobile is more of a mature os and that shows in the way phones are designed for it and the software made for it. Android though has a better user interface. Android also has more potenial for development than windows mobile as android is by google which supports program development by third parties and openness

lachytv

Reaction score
for me I would have to say android or windows mobile, symbian is dated and I have OWNED every iphone ever as well as a ipod touch and I must say apple sucks man I could not even send a damn mms with out hacking that phone, apple are OK, now i guess but their a little too app centric the unlock screen has no info on it so that can be a pain, Iphones are really only good for fun anyway, you cannot acess the file system to upload photos to the net or anything so iphone is really limited

Android or
windows mobile

aliasneo

Reaction score
If only I had seen this thread before posting about mobile operating systems in my post over at the best OS thread.

Without a doubt the best phone OS right now has to by Android.

I have been developing custom ROMs for this OS on my HTC Hero since I first got the hero and started customizing it.

The beauty of android is that it is whatever you want, and with Google behind it, it's really impressive some of the things they have thought of and made really nice touches to.

On that note, mine being a HTC Sense enabled device, HTC also deserves kudos for possible THE single best custom android builds I have seen from any device manufacturer to date.

HTC has really come into their own since starting to release under their own name and theyre definately ticking a lot of the right boxes these days.

After the security and performance hassles I had with Symbian on devices from the 6600 to the N97, and the slow, horrible performance and terrible design of Windows Mobile 6.1 to Windows Mobile 6.5 (for which I also developed custom ROMs on the Xperia X10. I have never been more content with an OS and would happily take a slight upgrade of my current phone any day, which HTC have blessed me with in the HTC Legend, essentially my phone minus the weaknesses (flash, trackball, case).

I outright refuse to accept a suggestion of a better OS than android (although I admit it's far from perfect). :tongue:

P.S. I owned an iphone which ended up costing me around £500GBP and was so annoyed, irritated, frustrated, occupied and distracted by that I ended up giving it away for free just to get it out of my sight. It was worth giving away £500 to get rid of that thing cause no gadget has annoyed me to the point of physical agression before, and probably never will again.

Last edited:

mike.sanford917

Reaction score
Windows phone 7 is awesome, still new, lots of great features which are coming later this year, can't wait. If you are a dev and know silverlight already, the tools are fantastic and easy to learn.

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Am becoming rapidly impressed with the droid particulary so with the fact that it can double up as a simple HTML webserver. Sadly no server side scripting capability as of yet, but give it time after all it is based on a linux kernal. Those fortunate enough to have a Nexus One can actually run Ubuntu right now and hardcore geeks are watching the specs of each new release for certain chipset properties.

HTC WildFire owner

Last edited:

henk506673

Reaction score
i would go with android due tto the versatility of it. you can do almost anything with android. i have even heard of people hacking with it.

labrat1461

Reaction score
I really like the android right now. It's on lots of devices and fairly easy to program on based on the stories i have heard*.

Last edited: