The devil is in the details..

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Probably the worst part of a web designers job is having to deal with the small print of various web sites 'Terms & Conditions of Use'. This is allowed, that's not and of course the classic 'terms subject to change without warning' catch all clause for when you do find a nice loophole.

Of course very few actually read any T&C document and was wondering just how much a web site could get away with in the small print. How mad can it get and still be legally binding?

Could a visitor for instance be charged for removing data collected by a site server, eg: IP address/ Screen Size/ PC username/ PC name / Partial Internet Surfing History etc ?

bhupendra2895

Reaction score
I am not any law expert, but I feel terms and conditions are designed to protect the right of those who create it.So definately it is biased and can't be termed as a legal document (that's what I feel).Specially in case if it is written that term and conditions are subject to change without any notification.
Now consider if it is the terms and conditions of an insurance policy that you are going to buy.The terms and condition of it is very important to you but you will notice that it is written in very small fonts on paper and the document is so long that you can do research on it.The seller wants you to agree to his terms and conditions but he don't advertise it.Why? Answer is simple, they want to hide something and definatly devil hidden there.

Well this is not the case with websites or softwares they give us the opportunity to read it but we often don't read or ignore it.So who made the devil?
I think its us because we are ignorant of this.If customer is aware then he can defeat the devil in details....

descalzo

Grim Squeaker
Community Support
Reaction score
Could a visitor for instance be charged for removing data collected by a site server, eg: IP address/ Screen Size/ PC username/ PC name / Partial Internet Surfing History etc ?

You are talking about 'privacy policy' here.
If they want to 'sell' their server logs, there is nothing stopping them.
If they offer a 'pay to expunge' feature, let them. I don't see where it would make money unless the site was 'questionable', in which case the 'feature' (threat of exposure unless you pay a fee) would probably drive viewers away.

But then, I don't often use an IP that can be traced to me.

verfone

Reaction score
The importance of the TOA / TOS and Privacy Policy kind of depends on the law in the country where the user is located at and where the website is hosted, if the law states claims opposite of the ones stated in online, it'll render the latter one inactive i presume...

As on actually reading these 'contracts':
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/04/15/online-shoppers-unknowingly-sold-souls/
A lot of people don't I'm afraid, and thus have to bear the consequences.