The Hard Drive Clock!

krofunk

Reaction score
Ive tried...and failed, its a great project but shouldn't be attempted by anyone that isn't a master of the soldering iron. Maybe thats a little OTT but I just made a broken drive even worse lol

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
If I ever get into more C dev and have some enormous free time, I'll try!

bhupendra2895

Reaction score
My 80gb hard disk is dead too, thanks to short circuit done by SMPS.I think I will try this too in my spare time. :)

I hope there would be similar tutorial for repairing dvd writers.I have purchased 3 dvd writers from sony and samsung in last four years.Two of them became cd reader after 1 year usage. :-(

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Not much you can do with them, even with a fully equipped electronics shack [Oscilloscope, surface mount soldering kit, micrometer and the circuit diagram ] the beam focus and tracking are crucial. These can be altered on some drives but to be honest the time it would take it's cheaper to bin the old one and buy new.

Wear and tear on the disc mount can alter the platter hieght throwing off the alignment. In a dire emergency you could try placing a 'shim' under the disc but don't hold breath.

Incidently if you have had a disc shatter in the drive odds are it's toast [both the disc and drive, but sometimes they will still read another CD]

PS: For those interested in learning or needing help with electronics google for 'Electro Tech Online'

Last edited: