The Most Important Factor In An RPG Game

Perfect7

Reaction score
What do you find to be the most important factor that makes an RPG game wonderful?

Some people say that graphics are more important than storyline. For them, an RPG with stunning graphics but a lousy storyline is still a wonderful RPG.

Some people say that plot and storyline are the most important factors. Graphics are useless if they are not used express a beautiful story.

Some people say that good music is essential to create the proper mood?

What do YOU say about this? And it would be useful if you could list in order of importance what factors you think are most important in making a wonderful RPG game.

For me: The most important things are in order of importance

1. Storyline and Plot
2. Character Development
3. Music
4. Simple but Enjoyable Battle System
5. Graphics
6. Secrets and Sidequests
7. Puzzles and Thinking Problems
8. Replay Value
9. Different number of endings

kkenny

Reaction score
1. Ability to play with other players (such as the game encourages people to interact with other players online)

2. Graphics

3. Grinding factor (I hate games where you have to grind to get lots of benefits in that game)

4. Battle System

5. And I guess music.

mcklovin

Reaction score
1. They cannot get boring
2. They cannot get repetitive
3. There must be a point
4. There must be an overall goal or objective
5. It must be socially interactive

Thats what I look for in an RPG

exitnow

Reaction score
Everything that's in Starcraft and Warcraft 1-2..
Most of a FPS person but can use some tips if you got one :)
Not into that regular type of fantacy ones...

magaly

Reaction score
The replay value has to be way up there because these games are supposed to be meant to be played until your butt melts into your seat. That's what these companies want haha.

Interaction is important. I haven't played a game which doesn't have an online play option in a long time. MMORPGS are also becoming even more popular than they were before. People don't like playing alone anymore.

When I choose a game, it's usually from a friend's recommendation and since a large percentage of my friends are Illustrators and Graphic/Web Designers, they tend to choose games which are visually pleasing and since I tend to be such an art snob [not intentionally] I can't sit in front of a screen staring at something ugly/poorly done. As far as sound, I usually turn off the sound in games because it gets tiring. Even games with the most advanced soundtracks get repetitive after a while. So, basically - what's most important for me is longevity, interaction and graphics.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Mainly, the most important thing in an RPG game is

1: No Lag (especially if it's an MMORGP)
2: It's fun and isn't repetitive

wiileg3nd

Reaction score
1. MMO
2. NO LAG
3. A good fighting system, one where you have the option for team and solo battles.
4. Graphics
5. Controls

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
One simple factor important to all RPG games: they must not be as easy as Final Fantasy.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Yep. When I tried Runescape, I dropped it within an hour :p. First person shooters are better. "BOOM HEADSHOT!!!!!!!."

Last edited:

VPmase

Reaction score
Story Line, Graphics, and game engines are what are most important imo.

arsonistx

Reaction score
Graphics, features, and the story line are all the most important things in a game to me. If it's low on any one of those, I probably won't play it. I have yet to find a game that is extremely fun to me. Most games are boring, have alright graphics, and there is hardly anything to do.

Zdroyd

Reaction score
As a Game Designer, Game Critic and Fiction Writer I know that it is story.

Any game without a story would be pointless. All forms of art tell a story and video games are a form of art.

Even DOOM had a story line.

Edit: And Graphics do not make the game. DOOM is a perfict example of that. As long as the game is fun to play and the graphics do not burn your eyes out (As long as there not choppy or pointless) it is a perfict game.

Last edited:

Blazer9131

Reaction score
In RPG's I don't care how bad or how good it looks.. I really just care about the following, in order:

Story - if the story is pretty much g*y, It's not worth playing, no matter how good it looks.

Characters - If you play as some non important person, or some one who is stupid, it doesn't like.. fit with the title of RPG

last is the Battle System..

By far, the best battle system is, and forever will be TBA.. Time Based Action. No matter if you played Sky's of Arcida for snes, or FFX for PS2, TBA is by far the best battle system that fits with RPG's.

~Blaze

Zangetsu

Reaction score
1. Storyline and Plot
2. Character Development
3. Graphics
4. Music
5. Simple but Enjoyable Battle System
6. Secrets and Side quests
7. Puzzles and Thinking Problems
8. Replay Value
9. updates/bug fixes
10. helpful staff
11. Different number of endings

dwd2000

Reaction score
I like Starcraft and Age of Empires 2 and 3. I like the fact you can make your own games within them. I played Dune 2 for quite a while before Starcraft, but you just had to play the game as is. I play with the sound off, so music isn't important. Graphics are not important, although nice.

I guess the 3 most important things to me would be:
Variety within the package (ability to make your own scenarios, etc.);
Not so easy/difficult to win;
It has to be more than just a "shoot 'em up" game.

Conmiro

Reaction score
Yea, storyline and character are veary important. For me and my friends, music plays a big part. If the music is repetitive and annoying, I can get tired of it and make a bad review of the game. If it is good music, i will play the game alot and refer all my friends to it.

kalazaar

Reaction score
Good Story Line
Player to Player Interaction
Quests and Puzzles

Not too fussy about graphics etc (I run a text based game :p)

But if the plot isn't there.. then there's no point to playing

Side Note: Thanks for this topic (I'm developing a new game concept so this topic makes a wonderful reference).

Conmiro

Reaction score
O yea, I also might add that the ability to play with other players is a major, I mean major part. Think about it this way. If all those rps such as runescape, wow, sol, aq, and others were one player, they would get soooo boring.