The new macbook air

NeonWarrior

Reaction score
quite frankly in my opinion, ridiculous, much like the iPhone, basically a statement of "look what we can do"

it has little practicality, of its good for journalists, but no disk drive? please we need disk drives..gamers do at least...opinions?

Sohail

Reaction score
It seems very nice like all the products that Apple creates but i think they're getting a little carried away this time :(. I don't want to have to get another computer, or an external disk drive to be able to install things - EVERYONE needs a disc drive. I bet soon they are going to make a computer that doesn't need a keyboard or something like that :mad:.

warlordste

Reaction score
i think its to thin prob will break if u shut the lid to quick or sommat and as for the disk drive don't make me lagh its a scam to get u by an external one its stupid

Dan

Reaction score
I thought it looked brilliant and seeing what they've crammed into it I think it's amazing. But I have to say - who actually needs something that thin?

I never knew it had no disk drive.... Are you sure?

sunils

Reaction score
Good job by mac in bring the thinnest laptops. By the way who's going to use it.

Livewire

Abuse Compliance Officer
Staff member
Reaction score
I never knew it had no disk drive.... Are you sure?

If he's not, I am. BBC even did an article on that, and there's a few videos circling around as a Macbook Air Spoof :)

"Sure it doesn't have a disk drive, but it fits into a mother ****ing envelope. Try doing that with a laptop with a disk drive."

It's a $3000 laptop with no way to install new software besides additional drives. I can build a new one for less than $800 with more power AND a disk drive XD

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7188849.stm

Of the laptop, Mr Jobs said: "It's an amazing feat of engineering."
It does not have a CD or DVD drive in order to save space. "It was built to be a wireless machine," he added.

Master of engineering? Doubtful. Master of engineering is being able to fit a computer inside an NES and have it capable of doing the majority of things windows can (barring more advanced games obviously; onboard audio/video/ram 1.4ghz cpu and a gig ram): http://mini-itx.com/projects/nespc/

Edit: I was wrong; apparently the macbook air can install from the network.

So, just to clarify:

1) You either need another form of getting the installer to the macbook air like an external or flash drive, OR
2) You need another computer on the network with the installer ready.

I will repeat that second part:

You need another computer. What the hell would I spend $3k on a laptop for if I needed to go buy another one so I could install off a network?!? I know external drives are getting cheap but WTF, why would I want to buy something just to have to buy more to make it work?!?

Last edited:

GamingX

Executive Team
Reaction score
I don't think the Macbook Air is created for gaming. I thought it looked great, but it can be restricted only for office use and personal use without gaming etc etc. But Apple is sure revolutionising computer designs.

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
It just shows off the new SSD technology; I could see it being used for basic purposes, as gaming would set that manila envelope on fire.

port5900

Reaction score
Macbook Air NOT THE FIRST!

When I seen the Macbook Air I was so like
"Big motha ____ing Woopty who cares"
First off Its not for gaming, I can't count over 12 good games for mac.

Next click on the link below and note the date "MON MAY 28 2007"
http://gizmodo.com/tag/notebook-supermodel/

here are the pics of the Intel Metro from May 2007
Hello MacBook Air? yea 2007 called and wants there laptop back
medium_512405517_c928d05c45_o.jpg
medium_512369092_59db6df036_o.jpg

medium_512369118_7c7f71c88d_o.jpg

Oh and I-Phone OpenMoko Called for you too. since 2006
http://www.openmoko.com/products-index.html
Grrr offical Mac hater here-=)

Last edited:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
It's a cool device, but I have yet to use it. I have heard some complaints about the MacBook though, having problems with space, cost, and the USB port. It can also get lost easily though :p

mvd7793

Reaction score
a complete waste of time. I did a video on it for my news station. It has 1 USB port (no comment) and apple charges $100 for a disk drive? Give me a break. Just giving me another reason why pcs are better than Macs.

kkenny

Reaction score
lol mvd,
Apple in general has less Trojans, Adware, Spyware, Viruses and other malicious things then Windows does.
Windows Emulators for Apple cost less than 20$ at my electronics store, so Apple can run anything windows can.

And the Macbook Air was for users who move around a lot, so they don't need that optional disk drive, they can just keep it at home when their installing software, becuase the Air isn't designed for gaming. I'm supporting Apple because I think Vista is overpriced, and that's why even on this comp I'm using right now, I'm running Linux, which is better and free compared to Windows.

/windows fail.

Loneua Technologies

Reaction score
LOL,

Truth being,

You pay $2000 for what?

A tiny piece of technology that I will guarantee that 99% of the time

if you drop it, it is sure to break. An 80GB HDD, a super under clocked

processor (Basically a Celeron) NO DVD Player, 1GB RAM Might be 2.

NOT EVEN BUILT IN ETHERNET!!

It is a complete waste of money.

My 2 Cents.

LuisaAndrews

Reaction score
I think that the Macbook Air is cool, but ot that much. Its cool because is very thin, I like that stuff, but it has no disk drive and also it has difficulties when trying to plug a flash dirve, so I wouldn't buy it, I'll go for a Toshiba maybe or a HP, definitely.

Luisa

warlordste

Reaction score
Hp all the way or a sony never a mac they done this so you spend more money

stunna

Reaction score
That Macbook Air has no use. If I was given the option of a Macbook Air and a rock i'd take the rock.