The Weather Watch

thesims3mods

Reaction score
Please let me know what you think about my weather social Networking site!

http://www.theweatherwatch.org

The Weather Watch is a full featured Social Networking site with a weather theme! Now you can do all your favorite activities you do on sites like MySpace and Facebook while at the same time keeping up to date on the latest weather!Features:

- Before a Storm -
- Keep up to date on the current storms
- Get watches and warnings when they are issued
- Track Hurricanes using our Hurricane Tracking Center
- Discuss the many storms and topics in our groups

- During a Storm -
- Keep friends and family posted on your condition as long as you have power
- Upload Images to have to remember your experience
- Chat with others who are going through the storm as well

- After a Storm -
- Connect with lost friends and family after a Hurricane or Tornado
- Obtain help through our classifieds
- Find out what is available for free aid to help you recover quicker

akkudreamz

Reaction score
nice concept...but the design resembles that of Facebook a lot (if this is intended to be then dis doesnt matter) ;)

you have put a lot of hard work in there for the business logic there which is clearly visible
:)
best of luck

thesims3mods

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. Yes the site is intended to be like myspace or facebook. I wanted a design that people were use to so they would not have to learn a new site. If your in the middle of the stress of having to prepare to leave your home because of a Hurricane the last thing you want to do is have to figure out how to send a message to your family to let them know your leaving. By having a design that most people already use on a day to day basis it releave at least one stress in the members lives.

The site is still under construction and our whole forecast area is still being developed but the social networking parts of the site are already there and working.

frankfriend

Reaction score
I really like the appearance of your site. The solid white lettering on blue is clear & legible, the weatherpics are clear.

Is` there some way to say where I am and get the weather for me??The forum did not appear to be working etc.

thesims3mods

Reaction score
frankfriend, thanks for your reply. Yes most of the areas are not currently working. I had been using a commercial script but was going to have to come up with about $400 to buy a license for it so I am redeveloping the site and don't have everything working yet. Yes when the site is finished there will be a way for at least people in the US to get their local weather however I am not sure about having world wide locations. If I have the site be available for every one around the world then I would need to trainslate it into multiple languages and at this point I am not sure I am able to do that.

RRJJMM

Reaction score
The site looks good so far. I would love to see it again when it is finished and the links are working.

It's a cool idea. It kind of plays on that old cliche about people hanging out and talking about the weather.

Cheers,

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
It's good to have something that others don't. Now it's all about using that advantage ;)

I can't review content cos site is under construction but I can review design (my favorite :) ).

First of all you need a logo. I guess you're aware of that and for a small fee (about 200 credits) I could do that for you :biggrin: if you're interested of course.

If you decided to use a flat design (no gradients, no graphics) stick to it! That header gradient don't add up with the rest of the site. Ether use a barely visible gradient or totally flat color.

On the left, where you put how many guests and users are online, you used red line breaks. I don't understand why? Your site has tree mayor colors: white, blue and green. Logically you have to pick blue or green for line breaks. Don't add new color if you're going to use it only once.

Talking about line breaks, login form, "Countries" and "Visitors" sections are flat without any brakes and then suddenly there's tree of them below :dunno: It's not fluid.

I don't think that you need that much statistic on your main page. You can easily get rid of the "Visitors" section.

Sorry if I was to hard on you but I would really like to see you go big with this. It's a great idea and your effort is visible on every step. That's why you have to have a good design and we all know how important design is.

Good luck!

thesims3mods

Reaction score
leviathon, thanks for your reply. On my computer there are no line breaks any where on the left panel. Also I disabled all of the stat modules on the left accept for 1 which is needed for my stat tracker program in the admin control panel. And yes I would love to take you up on your offer of creating a logo for the site. You will just have to tell me how to transfer the points to you since I have never used the points system on this site.

What browser are you using so I can see if the line break issue is browser based. I am using FireFox.

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm glad you accepted my offer :)

Paying with credits is really easy. When I upload the logo here (and you like it) just click "Donate" link located besides my credits and enter 200 for amount. I know that there are other ways, like vBCommerce or opening another thread in "The Marketplace", but to be honest I never did that and I don't really care. It's quite simple like this so ...
I'll start making the logo and it should be finished today. Just tell me would you like me to upload the logo here or send you an e-mail. If you want an email please PM me your address, otherwise I'll upload it here.

As for the line breaks they were a part of stats you removed so it's OK now.

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
And here it is :biggrin:

Besides making a logo I changed some thing in your design. Don't worry it's nothing major. I came up whit a new shade of blue. I did that cos I made a smooth gradient header background and current color just don't mach. Again, it's nothing major it's just a little bit lighter. I uploaded a sample of how would it looks like changing to this color and you'll see that it looks better. Note that you have to change all the old blue to this new one to get the effect (buttons, menu items, section headers, ...).

New blue color: #184DAF - RGB(24, 77, 175)

Uploaded files:

• DEMO.png - sample of how would it looks like (with a new shade of blue)

• LOGO_TRANSPARENT.png - transparent version of logo

• LOGO_BACKGROUND.png - logo with background

• BACKGROUND.png - header background

Copyright:
You have all rights on using, changing, copying, ... do whatever you like whit it, but I RESERVE THE RIGHT TO PUBLISH THE LOGO DESIGN ON MY PORTFOLIO SITE (when I make one :) ).

Even if you don't like it you could still add some +rep for the effort. :naughty:

Good luck!

Attachments

• BACKGROUND.png
    BACKGROUND.png
    275 bytes · Views: 38
  • LOGO_BACKGROUND.png
    LOGO_BACKGROUND.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 20
  • LOGO_TRANSPARENT.png
    LOGO_TRANSPARENT.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 22
  • DEMO.png
    DEMO.png
    112.7 KB · Views: 22

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I see you want bigger logo. I don't think that's good but it's your site so here's a bigger logo :naughty: It's not professional to stretch small images like that. It looses quality.

And just in case I uploaded 1000x200 version so you don't have to worry about size anymore :cool:

P.S. Note how good the logo looks in black background :naughty:

Attachments

• LOGO_TRANSPARENT_BIG.png
    LOGO_TRANSPARENT_BIG.png
    8.7 KB · Views: 21
  • LOGO_TRANSPARENT_1000.png
    LOGO_TRANSPARENT_1000.png
    19 KB · Views: 21

thesims3mods

Reaction score
we have added some new things to the site so come back and check us out! http://www.theweatherwatch.org

Features:
Forum
internal email system (PM system)
Video sharing (limited to about 10gigs per month for the whole site)
Profiles (limited at the moment)
1 Profile picture

still to be added:
Blogs
Chat
Photo sharing
Invite a friend
Music
Groups
Events
Classifieds
Help Center

nightbandit

Reaction score
I'm getting a parse error

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting T_OLD_FUNCTION or T_FUNCTION or T_VAR or '}' in /hermes/bosweb/web054/b546/sl.rhemains/public_html/weatherwatch/modules/mod_jvideo/helper.php on line 12