*theory* Community Website

olliepop

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I want to create a crazy and hard to code website (in PHP, Ajax, Javascript, HTML/XHTML, CSS, MySQL ONLY) which has a large community role.

Basically, i want something to do in class.

Feel free to post your idea's; as long as they are 100% original :)

here is basically what i want to code:
-Community based
-Graphical User Interface
-AJAX orientated

I'm bored of making games... anybody got any sweet savy idea's?
Or i could combine them all into one ;)

will rep you :)

idfizbo

Reaction score
Well... it doesn't sound like you have much so far. But that's ok. :)

As far as community-based websites go, they can either be a good or a bad thing. Take wikipedia for example. There is no feasible way a handful of people could assemble all that knowledge; it requires a worldwide effort. But the dark side of that is, quite simply, morons. Any situation where people can contribute useful information also draws vandals and people who just don't know what they're doing.

Maybe an online graffiti page? Or some kind of mutating art that everybody can contribute to? I had that idea a while back, so I might make it if you don't. :)

olliepop

Reaction score
Hm... thats an idea i could expand on :)
Thanks for your theories on community websites.. they helped me somewhat.
Repped :)

dariusdr

Reaction score
Hey guys.

here is basically what i want to code:
-Community based
-Graphical User Interface
-AJAX orientated

Maybe it's a good idea if you focus first on what NEEDS you want to fulfill in your users, rather than the technology you want to implement.... The technology it'll require will depend on the basic thrust of your site.

e.g. Youtube -- responded to the needs of people to express themselves with videos, or to waste some time watching them
Google -- responded to the need for better search results

NOTE: Neither of the above uses jquery nor ajax, or some other fancy frontend wizardry

olliepop

Reaction score
youtube uses ajax for uploads, comments and some other things.

but thanks for your input! repped

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah. Google and Youtube use AJAX and Javascript for almost all of their websites. ;)

The XML-HTTP request feature is used by the autocomplete in both the search boxes on google and youtube.

I think as far as communities go, you should provide something that people want. Whether that be services, free stuff, etc.

bonbon

Reaction score
Something I was accidentally open this forum topic, hehe, I read those replies and advice to this subject. Nice, I've learn a lot to pursue my plan for my new site for the future:)

bon