Too Many Cookies!

Coldfirezz

Reaction score
Has anyone else had a problem with having too many cookies, pretty much to the point where some cookies are not set?

TheMan177

Reaction score
Can't say I have, no. There is most certainly alternatives though, what are you storing in cookies?

xPlozion

Reaction score
i never had, but i only store 3 max. one for username, one for hashed password and the other for persistent login

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
too many cookies? theres no such thing. :D

your browser may be blocking them.

what browser are you using?

Coldfirezz

Reaction score
too many cookies? theres no such thing. :D

your browser may be blocking them.

what browser are you using?
The browser only seems to block some but I cut the amount of cookies I used and it worked (Stored some that had been blocked). I stored the character stats for my rpg but I worked it out and fixed it. I cant say why it wasnt working other than I had to many cookie variables.

mephis

Reaction score
from the CodeIgniter user guide:

"Cookies can only hold 4KB of data, so be careful not to exceed the capacity."

side note: just exactly how much information were you storing on your cookies?!? 4kb is plenty :p

Coldfirezz

Reaction score
from the CodeIgniter user guide:

"Cookies can only hold 4KB of data, so be careful not to exceed the capacity."

side note: just exactly how much information were you storing on your cookies?!? 4kb is plenty :p

A ton! Probably about 20-30 variables.

xPlozion

Reaction score
just a quick question, i'm prob overlooking it, but why are you storing character stats in cookies instead of a db? people can edit cookies and set them to what they want.

mephis

Reaction score
just a quick question, i'm prob overlooking it, but why are you storing character stats in cookies instead of a db? people can edit cookies and set them to what they want.

I'm assuming the storing of stats is only while the user is playing, which makes sense because cookie data is quicker to access than making a db query.
but even so, why not use $_SESSION vars instead?
have a read here about the pros and cons of cookies/sessions: http://www.hudzilla.org/phpbook/read.php/10_1_0