Troubleshooting connection issues

GtoXic

x10 Support
Reaction score
If you are having problems connecting to x10VPN, check that your firewall isn't blocking TCP 1723. Also check in your router that Protocol ID 47 isn't blocked. If this still doesn't work, or you cannot change these settings, contact your system administrator or look around google for help.

ckster60

Reaction score
I got DUN error code 619 when connecting to the ip address assiged to my account.

CoolFinalFan

Reaction score
me too! wondering ... how do check to see if TCP 1723 is open, and also, how to open up router

update: it's finally working. I just kept logging in and then it happened I'm in the VPN rite now!!

Thanks!

Last edited:

ckster60

Reaction score
OK, I got my connection problem fixed.

First I can not use the ip address assigned to me, through 1723 port on this ip is open, but I simply can not connect through it, I need to use the shared ip instead, but now I can connect through it. Thank you very much. :wink: :wink:

A note for those who using Windows from xp to 8:

Select pptp protocol.
Select request encryption.
Use MS-CHAP v2.

I am able to connect to vpn service by using an android ICS phone too, but only through the server address, not through the assigned ip address.

Btw, To check if port 1723 is opening, type the following in CMD widow:

telnet <insert ip here> 1723.

If it is not opened, it will shown a connection refused messages.

Last edited:

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
I can not use the ip address assigned to me

I don't believe you "use" the assigned IP address. Everything is done through the server (using either the url or IP; I used server1.x10vpn.com in case the server IP changes). The IP assigned is what your IP address will appear as to everyone outside of your NAT/VPN/etc.

You also have to consider that there's no guarantee your assigned IP will be the same forever. X10VPN is in beta, after all and the website states the IP address is "dedicated" and does not say "static."

Last edited:

ckster60

Reaction score
I don't believe you "use" the assigned IP address. Everything is done through the server (using either the url or IP; I used server1.x10vpn.com in case the server IP changes). The IP assigned is what your IP address will appear as to everyone outside of your NAT/VPN/etc.

You also have to consider that there's no guarantee your assigned IP will be the same forever. X10VPN is in beta, after all and the website states the IP address is "dedicated" and does not say "static."

According to what you mentioned above, then the "dedicated" ip assigned to my account is meaningless. Btw, a good vpn provider needs to have mulitiple ip address as the access points for their clients to login through these ip address, this is to prevent a single ip address or a range of ip addresses be blocked by certain kind of firewalls. I am sure that x10 will implement such kind of strategy when this service out of beta.

I just want to point out that in the pass 2-3 hours of testing, I notice that the server ip equal to the ip assigned to my account. My windows PCs can login either through the server1.x10vpn.com and through the ip in numeric form, but my android phone can only login through server1.x10vpn.com - the domain name.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

You need to connect via the shared IP to login to the system. Once you login the system runs a check to see if you have a dedicated IP assigned to the account, if so, it assigns you this outbound IP address so any website you go to will see the dedicated IP.

Can you go to Google and search what is my ip? To see if your dedicated IP comes up properly?

ckster60

Reaction score
What you mean the dedicated IP is for outbound only, that makes sense. It seems the system is up and running now. I am happy to report that both my PC and my andriod phone can login through server1.x10vpn.com now. It always routes out through the ip assigned to me, but the outbound ip reverse DNS also be resolved to server1.x10vpn.com a bit confusing me at first.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, we'll be adding in the ability for user's to change their rDNS record if they have a dedicated IP.

Once you get connected all connections should come from your dedicated IP address even though you're connected to the shared one.

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
According to what you mentioned above, then the "dedicated" ip assigned to my account is meaningless.

Theoretically, if the IP address of either A) server1.x10vpn.com or B) your personal VPN changes, it makes sense to use a URL, which will not change. I'm merely pointing out that the URL system was invented to avoid the cumbersomeness and dynamic nature of the IP address system.

I hope this clarifies what I said in reference to your first post in this thread. I'm sorry if you are unhappy with my thoughts, but I don't see why you would call the service "meaningless" as anything you can do with a static IP address you can do with a dynamic IP address with a little extra work.

ckster60

Reaction score
Yeah, we'll be adding in the ability for user's to change their rDNS record if they have a dedicated IP.
Allowing users to to change their rDNS record is a nice feature, I am sure that al least some people don't like to have their dedicated IP rDNS record has the "vpn" on it.

If there a few more ip assigned for login and be routed into this vpn server, and be named as "server2.x10vpn.com", "server3.x10vpn.com", "server4.x10vpn.com", etc., then the whole service is in a really very good shape for testing. Those additional ips may not need to be physically located in different geographical locations as that certain vpn providers are doing now, especially at this beta stage.

I have test the vpn service for a few hours now, I believe the longest connection was around 75min, in fact, this is my longest time stayed in an vpn, I would say I am feeling very positive at the moment.

ckster60

Reaction score
I'm sorry if you are unhappy with my thoughts......

I don't have the strong feeling on your post. I think you and I are focus on the different aspect of the vpn usages, I am a light-weight and occasional user, normally I don't consider using vpn unless I am on certain kind of trips, so the accessibility of a vpn is on the first priority, I don't consider a vpn service with a single domain name, or single ip for login to be a good service, it is just too easy to be blocked by any firewall.

On the other end, I believe you are more concern on how static or permanent the dedicated IP is. If I plan on use x10vpn to remote administrate certain servers I will have the same concern as you, it is a nightmare if a firewall is allowed a single ip to connect through, then that ip suddenly be changed, but I am very confident that Corey and his colleagues at x10 will be very carefully to re-assigned those dedicated IPs, at least an advanced notice have reasonable grace period will be given, otherwise the Premium Service will not have much different with my home server running CentOS with pptpd service enabled and equipped with TZO or DynDNS client.

GtoXic

x10 Support
Reaction score
question:

Will the VPN allow people with your dedicated IP to access your PC, say port 80? Or would that be a case of still setting a Port Forward up in the router?

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
I *think* you would need X10VPN to port forward from your dedicated public IP to your private VPN IP, much like a router port forwards from your public IP to your private NAT IP.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Incoming connections to your dedicated IP are automatically NAT'd to your assigned private IP, so if you were running a web server on 0.0.0.0:80, in theory it should work. When you connect to the VPN you are assigned a private IP of 5.x.x.x.

Linkz0rs

Reaction score
What about IPv6 support? The Internet is finally starting to adapt that more and more. I for one have a dual-stack connection.

GtoXic

x10 Support
Reaction score
I'm afraid SingleHOP (our provider) doesn't currently support IPv6. I can't personally give you a date of their planned rollout, either.

CoolFinalFan

Reaction score
now I'm back to having connection issues. I've tried using both the dedicated ip address & server1.x10vpn.com
and get a error 619. Even tried it without Comodo Firewall and still nothing...

Thanks!

Last edited: