Two week inactivity timer in affect immediately

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mani5

Reaction score
yea' we shud hav da holidayz off(v dont hav to login cPanel)....and BTW I think its only that u have to login cPanel..not that u hav to use all ur space...... :S :?

Maurice

Reaction score
Mani5 said:
yea' we shud hav da holidayz off(v dont hav to login cPanel)....and BTW I think its only that u have to login cPanel..not that u hav to use all ur space...... :S :?

Eh? Yes.. Oo. And with the holidays made no sense to me, meh.

Watz up wid talkin lik dis anywayz

Last edited:

Phil

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Maurice said:
Mani5 said:

Eh? Yes.. Oo. And with the holidays made no sense to me, meh.

Watz up wid talkin lik dis anywayz
I'm not sure. Please try not to use much slang mani5. It's hard to understan what your trying to say.

03moscropl

Flash Freak
Reaction score
what will happen once you have removed disuesed accounts of the servers. and the load is down and less people are signing up.

by the way perhaps robotsa might be making falsh accounts why dont you have an image with some numbers on it and peopson signing up has to type in the numbers to get to the next part of the singup or have invites!

Conor

Reaction score
There may be a possibility of it being turned off for 2 weeks at Christmas and spring break but thats about it. This is for your benefit in regard to server uptime and such.

dsfreak

Reaction score
I can see all the reasons behind this, but I am not sure why you must do this. If I remember correctly, x10 had a deal, if you report sites, you can get some extra points, but that never went through, and mine are yet to be anwsered. Next, I feel so good about x10, that I would do it for free, or no points, but I am sure that wouldn't go through due tyo "lack of staff", or "lack of time", however, I have offered NUMEROUS times to devote 90% of my free time to suspend the accounts that are violating, and not want A SINGLE THING in return. How much nicer can that get? I think the idea of reporting sites works, but staff fails to look there, and spend time removing accounts. They would rather do it automatically. Believe me, I have only given access into my cpanel account to x10 staff, and changed the password soon after, and I only did that when something bad happend. Also, I have NO idea when someone in my family will decide we are going to get up and go do something, and I won't have enought time, or won't be allowed to, get online and ask an x10 staff member to log in for me. On a final note, what if HUNDREDS or THOUSANDS of people ask the staff to log-in for them, how will that work? Or, what if they magically pull it off, we will be right back here. Finally, if the staff were to pull it off, and were able to login to all the accounts, it would take the same ammount of time to either a, look into the reported section, go to that site, and see if it violates, and suspend it. Or, just browse through ten or twenty of them per staff member per time on the computer, and suspend ones that violate. Again, I would be more than willing to help x10 out, and free up space and bandwidth, for free, but x10 has to be willing. I know, this thread was long, but if you ACTUALLY read every single word, then thankyou, and please reply.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
I know you say you'll spend 90% of your free time looking through accounts. It is NOT fun, especially when 50% of the accounts are just empty. To terminate an account it can take more than a minute in some cases. Now picture having 500-800 signups in a single day. We would need about 25 account managers to look through the 30 accounts you say EVERY day. Now that is just NEW accounts nevermind accounts that are already created and have to be reviewed every once and a while.

The only feasible option here is to put some type of automation in to clean out the inactive accounts which probably take up more than 75% of the staff's time in reviewing.

Now please sit down and ask yourself the last time you suddenly got called away for 2+ weeks without any access to a computer at all and no way to contact a family member or trusted friend to spend 1 minute to login to your cPanel.

On another note, if a staff member wants to help you out and login for you in your absence that is their decision, they are by no means required or responsible for your account. Account Managers do not even need your cPanel password to do this. If you have extenuating circumstances like Lindsey we will be happy to accomodate you. Vacation is not an extenuating circumstance.

To wrap it up, we are not doing this to irritate people or make it difficult for you to keep your accounts. If you can not honestly spend 1 minute every two weeks to save the staff here countless hours then please look for hosting somewhere else. Everyone here is volunteering to keep this free. We get countless abusers\spammers\phishing accounts that put everyone's account here at risk. This is the only way to weed out sorting through thousands of accounts. As always you are welcome to post alternate solutions in the feedback forum and I will reply.

-Corey

dsfreak

Reaction score
Ok Corey. I will give you one example, last summer (the one of 04) I was called by my dad and asked to go to South East Asia. I had one night to get packed, and had to go the next morning. I was n't able to use the phone for 5 days 1, and 2, I wouldn't be able to ask anyone at my house to do so, as calling SEA to America is not free, and would waste time, besides that fact, they wouldn't understand, as they all blow at computers. Granted, I don't think that will happen again, as I told my dad to give me atleast a weeks notice prior to leaving. However, I can understand why people wouldn't trust staff to go into their accounts, as it could be dangerous, you never can know. I will post what I think we should do in the suggestions forum, and hope someone will consider it. In any event, I do love automation, and think this is a good idea, excluding the select few that might actually have an issue with this. Please, in about 1 minute, there will be a suggestion in the correct forum, and please read and reply to it. Thanks, Corey.

Corey

I Break Things
Staff member
Reaction score
Any account manager can get into any cPanel without the users password.

-Corey

dsfreak

Reaction score
That, I know, but they really aren't allowed to without a valid reason, as that would abusing their "powers", and would just be plain wrong. btw, the suggestion is posted.

Alejandro

Staff
Staff member
Community Support
Reaction score
Believe me, we Account Managers, are here to help you, not to be "dangerous", as you said. We do the best we can to maintain this hosting working, so please a little more respect.

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
i dont mind this since i update my website quite often anyway, but what about users who go on vacation and are unable to have access to a computer? do we just make a post indicating we're on vacation?

Tyler

Retired Staff
Reaction score
sentient1080 said:
i dont mind this since i update my website quite often anyway, but what about users who go on vacation and are unable to have access to a computer? do we just make a post indicating we're on vacation?
Did you not read what Corey said?

Alejandro

Staff
Staff member
Community Support
Reaction score
Besides, there are computers everywhere around the world, so i don't see any reason to complain about this, like if you went on vacations for 2 weeks every month.

dsfreak

Reaction score
I am not trying to imply the the account managers are dangerous, but, sometimes, people become part of staff in various places to screw them up. Have you ever seen Ocean's Eleven? If you have, you should understand what I mean. A few people get jobs there, and then they rob it. I am not saying any staff member is doing this, but you never can know.

Sentienent, if you are going somewhere with no computers, ask a staff member, friend, or me to login for you once a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.