Ubuntu 9.04 is here

durand

Reaction score
I've been using Jaunty since december :) It's a really good release though. If you can, you should use ext4 instead of ext3 when partitioning. You may need to choose manual partition but it's blazingly fast at booting up. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for gnome..it takes at least 30 secs to get ready but that might be something to do with my laptop...

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm seeding every ISO they have for Ubuntu 9.04 should anyone be using torrents :)

stef4001

Reaction score
I had installed ultimate edition 2.1 running on ubuntu 8.10 now i dit the upgrade to ubuntu 9.04 and so far so good it runs smooth . check out my vids on you tube look for linuxfreack (ck) the (k) was already taken.
have funn
greetz from belgium:naughty:

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
whoohoo, has anyone tried the 64 bit version? I really badly need 64 bit linux.
Edit:
downloaded the 64 bit. runs incredible, just some minor problems with the onboard graphics, but nothing big.

Last edited:

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
I have been considering installing Ubuntu on an old computer, but I am unsure which is better - Ubuntu or Kubuntu? Is Gnome better than KDE or which is better for getting started?

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
it really depends. hehe
I knew you'd like that answer.

I'll just say that I use Gnome and find that it has a nice balance of speed and looks.

kaiweilim

Reaction score
I have been using Ubuntu since it's 7.04. I think that it is not bad. I have tried 9.04. I personally feel that it is much more smoother now. I always did my work in ubuntu whenever possible. Windows is too slow for some stuff some time.

Regards.

coxclan

Reaction score
I definitely think it's appealing and there's no doubt that ubuntu is fast as heck...

but then again...

I need to learn how to use ubuntu well. Could anyone PM me a decent guide to ubuntu? A link or tutorial or something?

My main concern is installing wireless drivers etc because as of yet I haven't had my wireless card work right off the bat for any distro of ubuntu.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I definitely think it's appealing and there's no doubt that ubuntu is fast as heck...
that's why I like it. of course pretty much every linux distro is 10 times faster than the fasted windows OS.

I need to learn how to use ubuntu well. Could anyone PM me a decent guide to ubuntu? A link or tutorial or something?
You know how to use windows don't you? If so, ubuntu will be a piece of cake.
If you're coming from the apple world, don't worry, take a look at the screenshot I've attached. That's just Ubuntu running on my pc.

My main concern is installing wireless drivers etc because as of yet I haven't had my wireless card work right off the bat for any distro of ubuntu.
what wireless card do you have? I've helped many people jump the wireless hurdle in moving to linux.
But on the plus side, my wireless card that ubuntu has never recognized, Ubuntu 9.0 came with the driver all installed and ready to use.:biggrin:

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    969.1 KB · Views: 29

lemon-tree

x10 Minion
Community Support
Reaction score
You know how to use windows don't you? If so, ubuntu will be a piece of cake.
If you're coming from the apple world, don't worry, take a look at the screenshot I've attached. That's just Ubuntu running on my pc.
Interesting, I would be coming from the Mac world, although I would still be using Mac primarily and just experimenting with other OSs. What sort of packages do you have to install to get that sort of customization?

gotikplage

Reaction score
Excellent operating system. Excellent.

I run a home studio on a really old, crappy IBM thinkpad with one of those odd trackpoint thingers. Installed Ubuntu with Wubi, installed the ubuntu-studio packages, and haven't turned back.

In general, unix-based systems are eons ahead in terms of graphics and audio-editing software. Thankfully the open-source community is just as useful as some of the undoubtebly superb Windows/Apple proprietary programs (Logic, Nuendo, Adobe Creative Suite). :biggrin:

equipojoomla

Reaction score
Ubuntu can beused like Windows 7, but Windows 7 Will be the best operating System from microsoft, I think Windows 7 will give back the power to M$.

gotikplage

Reaction score
I have yet to try the beta of Windows 7, but I'm going to upgrade to it no matter what on my desktop (from XP SP3). I still enjoy the security of knowing I'll have Ubuntu to fall back on though.

Besides, the Live CD lets you access your drives even if they're password-protected by Windows!

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I haven't had my wireless card work right off the bat for any distro of ubuntu.

What wireless card do you have? I know for a fact that Netgear wireless cards are a PITA to get to work in Linux at times, and they don't even work out of the box which means I have to mess around in the Console for a little while and download some drivers.

hezuo

Reaction score
I installed jaunty a few weeks ago, and it runs smoothly on my dual core lappy. Besides, the new notification system looks much cooler.

daddyd

Reaction score
I downloaded K & Ubuntu 9.04 and both seam to be good. I still like my NimbleX distro too though. It's kde and has some good modules. It is slakware based not debian. Pros and cons to both for anybody i guess.