Ubuntu 9.04 is here

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
an apt-get install kde command will install kde on ubuntu. You don't need to download the kubuntu disk if you already have ubuntu.

zubair12

Banned
Reaction score
I am using pclinuxos in my network server but i want to install ubuntu. i download the ubuntu in iso formate and burn it on cd but my computer does not install it. i am very upset. but pclinuxos is also great i am enjoying that also

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
did you burn the iso to the cd as an iso or just as a file? What do you mean by your computer won't install it? You have to boot your computer with the cd in the cd-rom drive.

Zangetsu

Reaction score
did any of you try to play a game on ubuntu 9.04?
three friends of mine have tried to play Wolf ET on 9.04 and it just doesnt want to work or it does work but after exiting the game the resolution stays low and it worked fine on 8.10

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I've never tried that, but 9.04 does have some stability issues. One interesting thing I noticed on the Ubuntu site is that 8.04 is supported for longer than either 8.10 or 9.04. Kind of odd, but maybe it's a good thing since I've found 8.04 the most stable of the three.

steronius

Reaction score
No *real* stability issues for me:

I have a "wubi"/Ubuntu 9.04 64bit installation and have had two stability issues: a screensaver lockup (likely sue to my ATI X800), and I had to delete my second ethernet because it would lose connection (probably confused as which one to use).

I have a ubuntu 8.10 to 9.04 upgrade on a virtualbox VM, no stability issues but hardly used.

And the one i use most is still xubuntu 8.10 64bit with forced upgraded xfce on parrallels for mac VM at work -- it mostly had no issues except when the osx 10.5.7 update and paralles update both came out... had to uninstall parallels and reinstall, no stability issues since.

:dunno:

good luck with solving your issues.

ichwar

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
By stability issues, I mean that I can't get it to hibernate or suspend. Also, there isn't a very good driver support for the intel integrated graphics chipset. I'll get statics occasionally. :D

abhishekp

Reaction score
I've never tried that, but 9.04 does have some stability issues. One interesting thing I noticed on the Ubuntu site is that 8.04 is supported for longer than either 8.10 or 9.04. Kind of odd, but maybe it's a good thing since I've found 8.04 the most stable of the three.

Yes 8.04 is LTS(Long Time Support) version Desktop 3yrs and server 5yrs. It is not "kind of odd" as this is the second LTS (I think). First was 6.06 which was supported until now i.e june 2009.

I have been using Ubuntu since 5.10 breezy. 5.10, 6.06, 7.10, 8.10, 9.04. I didnt use few in middle.

Last edited: