Unable to add the domain name

Status
Not open for further replies.

1erik1

Reaction score
Hi, I am having serious trouble adding an Addon Domain to my account.

Account Name: fresht12
Domain: freshtodeaf.x10.mx

NameCheap is my domain provider, and 2 days ago I added the x10nameservers as my name severs. However, every time I try to add the domain to my website I am getting the following message:

Unable to add the domain name − Sorry, the domain is already pointed to an IP address that does not appear to use DNS servers associated with this server. Please transfer the domain to this servers nameservers or have your administrator add one of its nameservers to /etc/ips.remotedns and make the proper A entries on that remote nameserver.

Is it possible that the nameservers are not updating? I've double checked and they are pointed to the new addresses in namecheap's settings. I'm not quite sure how to proceed. I've considered trying to point the nameservers to my cloudflare account, and then use a CNAME entry to display the website. I would rather not do this as it makes things a little complicated with the MX record and the mailbox, and the possibility that the nameservers are just taking an incredibly long time to update.

If anyone can shed some light on something else that may be going on here please do so. Otherwise I shall just wait another 24 hours and then try the cloudflare solution.

EDIT: It occurred to me to check my domain's whois, and it shows the nameservers as x10hosting's nameservers.

Last edited:

Dead-i

x10Hosting Support Ninja
Community Support
Reaction score
Hi,

Please could you provide me with the domain name you are trying to add? :)

Thank you,

Last edited:

1erik1

Reaction score
domain name: erikgriffin.io

EDIT:

Also, I'm trying to put the addon to /public_html/erikgriffin.io

Last edited:

glennaal

Reaction score
I am having the exact same issue. I changed the nameservers on my new domain Friday. I tried adding it on today and get this same error message.

1erik1

Reaction score
@glennaal will you post the details about your specific case? The domain provider, if you're trying to add an addon or a parked domain, etc.

If a solution is not found soon I will change my nameservers again and use a different host, but this is not ideal and I would like to find a solution by Wednesday if at all possible

glennaal

Reaction score
It's the same situation. I'm using godaddy and recently purchased a new domain. I changed the nameservers for the new domain to be ns1 and ns2....(what they say to use). I try to add it as an Addon domain and get the same error message. I'm guessing there is a glitch with x10?

Skizzerz

Contributors
Staff member
Contributors
Reaction score
@1erik1: Your settings are correct, sadly it looks like we're running into a cPanel bug where it fails to determine that the domain is pointed at the correct nameservers.

If you like having technical details, internally cPanel works down from the root DNS to query which nameservers your particular domain belongs to. Its failing here is that it only ever looks at the first listed nameserver in the result, so if that nameserver is having troubles everything fails. The first nameserver listed for the .io TLD is a.nic.io, which if you try to query that for NS records for your domain, it times out. Other nameservers on the list work properly, this is because a.nic.io has recursion enabled by default and so is trying to query the x10Hosting nameserver for the authoritative record (which of course doesn't exist yet because the domain hasn't been added, and I can't add it before adding the domain or else cpanel complains that the dns zone already exists on the local server...). If recursion is disabled (either by default on the nameserver, or recursion was disabled as part of the query), it'd spit back the nameservers properly without any issue. cPanel is just failing to specify that it doesn't want recursion in the query.

Code:
root@xo1 [~]# dig @a.nic.io erikgriffin.io NS

; <<>> DiG 9.8.2rc1-RedHat-9.8.2-0.30.rc1.el6_6.2 <<>> @a.nic.io erikgriffin.io NS
; (2 servers found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
root@xo1 [~]# dig @a.nic.io +norecurse erikgriffin.io NS

; <<>> DiG 9.8.2rc1-RedHat-9.8.2-0.30.rc1.el6_6.2 <<>> @a.nic.io +norecurse erikgriffin.io NS
; (2 servers found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 17757
;; flags: qr; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;erikgriffin.io.                        IN      NS

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
erikgriffin.io.         86400   IN      NS      ns1.x10hosting.com.
erikgriffin.io.         86400   IN      NS      ns2.x10hosting.com.

;; Query time: 41 msec
;; SERVER: 64.251.31.179#53(64.251.31.179)
;; WHEN: Tue May 19 01:55:48 2015
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 82

tl;dr bug with cPanel, going to poke them about it to see if they'll fix it. Not sure on what workaround I want to end up implementing yet.

Last edited:

zgsecx10

Reaction score
I have been having yhr same issue for the past couple of days.

Domain name provider: Namecheap
DNS transferred to x10hosting 2 days ago.

Every time I try to add the domain as a parked domain or even as an add-on. I get the same error posted above by the OP.

Thanks for the update Skizzerz, hope a workaround can be done soon.

1erik1

Reaction score
@Skizzerz interesting. I haven't looked up DNS protocol in a long time, but is there not just a header you can add to the request c-Panel sends to prevent the recursion? Or are you not able to configure c-Panel requests like that.

Ah upon reading your post again it seems that is something the cPanel people will have to do. Hm. You would think this issue has come up before with them, the .io TLD isnt that new. My proposed workaround using cloudflare isn't suitable for me because I want to use a x10s mail server with my domain, and I don't think I can do that using cloud flare

zgsecx10

Reaction score
@1erik1 I'm getting the same issue when trying to park a .com domain name so I'm unsure whether its a problem with the TLD used...

Error Message said:
Unable to add the domain name − Sorry, the domain is already pointed to an IP address that does not appear to use DNS servers associated with this server. Please transfer the domain to this servers nameservers or have your administrator add one of its nameservers to /etc/ips.remotedns and make the proper A entries on that remote nameserver.

1erik1

Reaction score
@Skizzerz any update on a potential work-around? Or a timeline from cPanel? You would think other hosting providers would be experiencing the same problem and pushing them to fix it..

zgsecx10

Reaction score
I tried parking the domain again yesterday, which worked this time. My parked domain name is now working as expected.

Whatever has changed, it worked :)

@1erik1 try attempting to park/addon the domain again.

1erik1

Reaction score
I believe your problem was of a different nature.
I am getting the same error message as before

1erik1

Reaction score
What is the status on this issue? I have not heard from a moderator in over a week now. If it is possible to do a workaround just to get x@erikgriffin.io emails delivered to my x10 mailserver that would be sufficient, but I do not know how to achieve this on my own

EDIT: So I have set up my website with a different hosting provider and set up a separate mail server. Again, I hope this is just temporary as I would much rather host my website here at x10

Last edited:

btox10m2

Reaction score
Who did you go with? Seems i'm in the same boat, though no one answered me what the issue was for me i'm assuming it is since i get the same error.

1erik1

Reaction score
Right now I'm just serving the HTML on a Node Express server hosted by heroku. Super slow so I don't like it. The mail provider is zoho

Status
Not open for further replies.