Unblock an IP Address

Status
Not open for further replies.

mycoo368

Reaction score
@Anna

A friend of mine was at my house trying to get into x11, and it was denying his password quite a few times causing the x11 server to completely block the IP altogether. Whenever he accesses it from my house now, it says it timed out, while his cellular goes right to it. If IP *REDACTED* could be unblocked from the firewall, that would be great, thanks.

The IP can become redacted as soon as it becomes unblocked in x11 firewall.

Last edited by a moderator:

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
Hello, I have reviewed your website and it appears to be hosting a copy of Apple software that is not redistributable.

This License does not allow the Apple Software to be made available over a network where it could be run or used by multiple computers at the same time. Except as expressly set forth herein, you may not rent, lease, lend, sell, sublicense or otherwise redistribute the Apple Software

Before any other issue is addressed, your suspension will have to be processed. I have suspended your account for hosting copyrighted content.

I have edited your post as you had requested.

mycoo368

Reaction score
Hello, I have reviewed your website and it appears to be hosting a copy of Apple software that is not redistributable.

Before any other issue is addressed, your suspension will have to be processed. I have suspended your account for hosting copyrighted content.

I have edited your post as you had requested.
@garrettroyce

FYI, the appeals page just goes to an error page. Also, if any file(s) are in question, that contains the copyright issue, can be purged from the server, that would be greatly appreciated.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
The whole account will eventually get purged, there's no option to get an account back after such ToS violation as well as a violation to laws.

I can ask our abuse officer to do a review though, but I much suspect he will say the same.

mycoo368

Reaction score
The whole account will eventually get purged, there's no option to get an account back after such ToS violation as well as a violation to laws.

I can ask our abuse officer to do a review though, but I much suspect he will say the same.
@Anna

I guess first, I do want to ask a question real quick so that we're on the same page. What does it mean to actually "host the software?" I do not know what that directly means but an internet search was giving me conflicting definitions.

I hope to get the definition cleared up. My interpretation from google search, says that to actually host the software, most places are the actual software would have to be located on this server/account itself or another place on the Internet that is not from the source of the software.

Thank you for clearing up the definition.

Last edited:

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
x10 disallows linking and physically uploading files. Eg, if you have an illegal file in your Google account, you may not link it, nor can you upload a file directly to x10. Essentially, making something illegal available to people will get your account flagged. I don't have the ability to see files on your account, but the presence of the link is enough to require the abuse compliance team to evaluate.

mycoo368

Reaction score
x10 disallows linking and physically uploading files. Eg, if you have an illegal file in your Google account, you may not link it, nor can you upload a file directly to x10. Essentially, making something illegal available to people will get your account flagged. I don't have the ability to see files on your account, but the presence of the link is enough to require the abuse compliance team to evaluate.
@garrettroyce

From my interpretation of what you just said, means the account was wrongfully suspended.

The links for Apple Software are not going to a Google Drive, a OneDrive, etc. That’s completely understandable as that is redistributing and hosting. However, in my case, they are directly going to Apple themselves. The creator of such software.

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
Please wait a minute. You may get another notification about suspension once I check this information.

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
Whatever software you're using on your website makes it impossible for me to verify what you're saying. Linking the file would not necessarily be a problem, but it appears the download source is being hidden. If the file was simply linked, the download would come from Apple's servers, but it is showing up as not being the case. Obfuscating the source of the file is concerning in and of itself, but that's where abuse compliance would need to make the final call.

@Anna can you please have this checked by the abuse team? It is flagged in the suspension already.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
Our abuse officer have evaluated the account, and he says it is to remain suspended.
There are file within your filestorage folder that you make available that is not yours to give, as an example "Apple remote desktop".

mycoo368

Reaction score
What’s weird is I normally get the email notification of your responses but for some reason I didn’t get this one so I’m just seeing it now.

I’m not using any software to hide anything. The only thing I am using is Cloudflare on the www. Sub domain for security.

Do you mean for you navigating in To see it?

mycoo368

Reaction score
Our abuse officer have evaluated the account, and he says it is to remain suspended.
There are file within your filestorage folder that you make available that is not yours to give, as an example "Apple remote desktop".
please have them check it again. I can 100% assure that file does not exist. If it did, it would’ve been auto removed which it was a long time again because of it being over 5 MB during the cPanel era. All I never did yet was remove the corresponding directories for that and remove the one link that did. The file has not been there for years. I have a backup of that domain that does not have that file. Yes the site hasn’t updated accordingly to reflect that not being there, but it is not there. Trying to go find it will result in 404 directly.

I’m not trying to be rude when I say this, forgive me if I’m coming off that way as it’s not my intention, but if it was actually thoroughly looked at, nothing would be in there when being in there. Nothing was ever to go in there.

fun fact though, during the earlier days of my site, the only thing that was ever there was a 10 MB word document about copyright law followed by a text document that said, “You almost broke the law, but this joke means you didn’t. You thought you downloaded copyrighted software, but you didn’t this time. As Apple says, ‘Please don’t steal our stuff.’” Then I went on about it being paid app in the App Store because engineers designed a product and need to get paid for the job they did. But since it was above the threshold and I didn’t want to do anything pertaining to seeing how many people actually went for that file, that made me lean to removing it out file wise. Then every time I keep focusing on the main site functionality, I keep forgetting to remove those unused directories as I found that as a back burner task as the directory was empty and my main concern was site functionality and design before worrying about clean up empty meaningless directories.

Last edited:

mycoo368

Reaction score
The kicker I’m getting out of this so far, is that Abuse has no real evidence of Apple software being hosted here making their claim merit less.

The other kicker I’m getting out of it, is they named a directory that has been empty since the account was started and that they falsely assumed there is copyrighted software located there. Had it have been actually looked through the system, all they would see is an empty index file.

On a personal note, for trying to use that as an example and stating that software is there is making me feel that it’s becoming a one-sided review and makes me feel that the right decision will not be reached. It also tells me and makes me feel, that it’s not really being looked to actually verify if the software is present.

How I know this, I have downloaded a backup within 24 hours before the suspension so I do exactly know what is there and not there to a tee

Last edited:

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
Personally, I have no way of viewing your files; I can only see your website as every random viewer of your site sees it. I'm not a part of the x10 team and especially not the abuse team, but here's my opinion.

When I clicked on the link, a download started of a .dmg file and the location of the file on the internet is your website. Of course, internet addresses are pretty much meaningless since you can run server side scripts, but it's not a direct link to Apple's website. If it's not a direct link, then you're distributing and that's forbidden by Apple's TOS that I pasted. Violating a TOS is illegal in the jurisdiction of x10's servers, so it would be illegal content instead of copyright content.

There's no legitimate reason someone needs to click that link for the download. A link to the download page on Apple's website is safer, it is a more up-to-date version, and couldn't even be interpreted as a violation.

Again, that's not x10's ruling, but that is why I initiated the suspension.

It's not a personal attack, but Apple is a known copyright troll and x10 gets a million DMCA takedowns a day. No action on x10's part means they are aiding and abetting and now themselves are violating copyright law. And, copyright law is extremely one-sided. I can understand your frustration. I've suspended hundreds of users since 2008 and I don't relish it because almost everyone is just trying to make a good website, not intentionally run a criminal scheme. But, in the end I'm protecting thousands of users, including you, by being extremely careful and making tough decisions. I'm sorry if this experience is a bad one, but I hope you understand my predicament.

mycoo368

Reaction score
Personally, I have no way of viewing your files; I can only see your website as every random viewer of your site sees it. I'm not a part of the x10 team and especially not the abuse team, but here's my opinion.

When I clicked on the link, a download started of a .dmg file and the location of the file on the internet is your website. Of course, internet addresses are pretty much meaningless since you can run server side scripts, but it's not a direct link to Apple's website. If it's not a direct link, then you're distributing and that's forbidden by Apple's TOS that I pasted. Violating a TOS is illegal in the jurisdiction of x10's servers, so it would be illegal content instead of copyright content.

There's no legitimate reason someone needs to click that link for the download. A link to the download page on Apple's website is safer, it is a more up-to-date version, and couldn't even be interpreted as a violation.

Again, that's not x10's ruling, but that is why I initiated the suspension.

It's not a personal attack, but Apple is a known copyright troll and x10 gets a million DMCA takedowns a day. No action on x10's part means they are aiding and abetting and now themselves are violating copyright law. And, copyright law is extremely one-sided. I can understand your frustration. I've suspended hundreds of users since 2008 and I don't relish it because almost everyone is just trying to make a good website, not intentionally run a criminal scheme. But, in the end I'm protecting thousands of users, including you, by being extremely careful and making tough decisions. I'm sorry if this experience is a bad one, but I hope you understand my predicament.
I completely get where you’re coming from, but so far, only from information here so far, Abuse is only claiming against Apple Remote Desktop which is not being hosted nor redistributed.

My thing also is they’re going after a directory that has nothing in it, which gives me a lack of trust in what they’re saying and what they would say next and if they change the story they come up with since the Apple Remote Desktop claim is false.

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
It was available at the time I had reviewed your site. I also un-suspended your site yesterday, clicked the link, and the same file downloaded again. Then I suspended the account again because my investigation of hotlinking the download turned up that the link was not direct to Apple's site.

Looking at the Wayback machine, you have links to download IOS beta software, which is also against their TOS, if I follow the logic I presented above.

https://web.archive.org/web/20191019015033/https://www.mycoolweb.x10host.com//

mycoo368

Reaction score
It was available at the time I had reviewed your site. I also un-suspended your site yesterday, clicked the link, and the same file downloaded again. Then I suspended the account again because my investigation of hotlinking the download turned up that the link was not direct to Apple's site.

Looking at the Wayback machine, you have links to download IOS beta software, which is also against their TOS, if I follow the logic I presented above.

https://web.archive.org/web/20191019015033/https://www.mycoolweb.x10host.com//
The archive is only working on the main domain itself so no navigation is working. I have a backup from right before suspension showing no files other than an index existed in the Apple Remote Desktop directory.

As for the iOS links, they are directly from Apple’s own servers being linked which makes it proper means of obtainment as anyone is allowed to that beta software just like the main release. As you can see the link if you right click the button from the drop down menu and copy the link address, you’ll see https://updates.cdn-apple.com/… which upon a simple lookup shows it’s from Apple Inc. So it does go directly to them for the iOS file.

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm just saying you're playing with fire. Sooner or later, making a website with that content will get you flagged. It's just not worth it.

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
@mycoo368 Since there is nothing further than can be done in regards to this matter, I am closing this thread. Please create a new thread if the need arises. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.