Understanding PHP, HTML, ASP

Briganti

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I use HTML and ASP, I was wondering about PHP and if I really need to know the languge or not? I would like to know what the difference is with all three.

Bob

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
Html only outputs text/code.

ASP (no clue) I guess it's OK for server side stuff, but not good for multi system interactions.

PHP is also server side like ASP, however much friendlier and open source. I believe that PHP is much simpler to use, and easier to understand than ASP, but I don't really know ASP. ;)

I would highly recommend learning PHP, as it makes it easy to make dynamic pages for websites.

VPmase

Reaction score
Its always a good thing to know a lot of languages :) I suggest you learn it if you can and want to.

akkudreamz

Reaction score
PHP is open source, and is supported by a huge community, all the web servers support it specially the free hosting providers' so you wana give it a try :)

on the other hand ASP requires you to use Microsoft's tools and the whole platform, and its very tuff to find good web hosts providing ASP support

freecrm

Reaction score
Html, as pointed out, only parses (shows) a page on the client side.

Both asp and php are (again as pointed out) server side scripts.

This means that, as you access the page, it can access information to/from the server, without imposing any further processing onto your client-side processor (your pc). This is referred to as a dynamic website.

As far as I know, asp language goes hand in hand with SQL Server databases and yes, you will need to shell out on MS SQL technology!

php is open-source (free) and runs with MySQL Servers (again.. free). A common terms is LAMP, which stands for Linux (the platform) Apache (The program which parses the data) MySQL (The database) and PHP.

php continues to be a widely used language and is easy to follow - running alongside html.

<?php echo "Good luck!";?>