Uninstalling IE8

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Trying to update from a previous version of IE8 to the new beta, I discovered there to be no entry on the list of programs to uninstall for IE. Found this, and it might be of use to someone else:

FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-8*.mum /c "cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:mad:fname /norestart"

(Taken from https://connect.microsoft.com/IE/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=363677 , added a space after "\Packages")

firesteel

Reaction score
Trying to update from a previous version of IE8 to the new beta, I discovered there to be no entry on the list of programs to uninstall for IE. Found this, and it might be of use to someone else:

FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-8*.mum /c "cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:mad:fname /norestart"

(Taken from https://connect.microsoft.com/IE/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=363677 , added a space after "\Packages")

Windows Vista also allows removal of older IE betas via Control Panel:

Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features > Installed Updates

I'nm ot certain about Windows XP (no PC laying around with XP installed), but I would imagine it's under:

Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs > Add or Windows Components.

Either way, it's nice to have the command line to perform the same function. Thanks!

Attachments

• IE8_removal_Vista.jpg
    IE8_removal_Vista.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 36

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs

IE is listed as Windows Internet Explorer 8 Beta 2 (or 1). :)

kkenny

Reaction score
I'd just go into program files and delete the whole folder myself :]

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score

That causes Windows to screw up the registry really bad. That's why the folder has loads of protection from Vista's UAC in Vista.

-Luke.

psychh

Reaction score

You cann't do it, coz everything in your computer remains.
You cann't even delete from start menu and from c:/program files/x coz if you do it, you might think you deleted it totally but nope. That's why uninstallers are, they remove the DLL files and the files from the registry.
Only after uninstalling you might have the empty folder in c:/program files/x wich you can freely delete :)
Eh like this, the prog is uninstalled totally. ;)

Last edited:

multipass

Reaction score
IE8 Cant be uninstalled. because Microsoft Windows Vista has protected the file, and made it as an default brownse.
Edit:
if you need to uninstall you must see the help guide of IE8. so then you can remove. otherwise cant.

Last edited:

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Oh c'mon.... Nobody reads these days.

1) firesteel, alexandgruntz: The entry for Windows Internet Explorer 8 was not on the list of programs in the control panel. I do know how to remove programs!

2) multipass: IE8 can be uninstalled, and to install the new IE8 beta, you must uninstall the previous versions of it.

Last edited:

hamsn

Reaction score
it totally sucks, leaves its virus/disease to ie7 also
crashing problem frequent, opening of infinte tabs automatically...like someone poked it and its running fast...as u close one by one, it wil speed up more..
and ya wen u hav download in progress and all other window instances closed, its good...now u try to open a new window to browse something, ur download which was since hours, will go as easy as u opened it.
It leaves behind these characteristics to ie7...

just go to control panel, and in add/remove programs, on top check show updates
there tat buggy crap u can see IE 7...uninstall it..
Enjoy

GG-Xtreme

Reaction score
Once you've installed the IE8 beta, you won't be able to revert to IE7 (according to Microsoft, although I'm not sure if it only affects XP users).

kkenny

Reaction score
I heard that custom uninstallers work well too. But I haven't heard of any good free ones.