Use pre-existing storage to host files

ellescuba27

Reaction score
In x10hosting's TOS, it says that users cannot upload files to a website. So, I went searching for a service that could do it for me. The idea is to find a cheap, preferably free of course, service similar to Amazon's in that users can upload files to a different website.

I'm wondering if there is any website that allows users of my website to upload files to theirs, as if it were on mine, and just let me keep the URL, so that I don't break x10hosting's TOS. This is all assuming, of course, that this isn't against the rules. Any ideas?

ellescuba27

Reaction score
Well, one solution I thought about was using a website like http://freakshare.com which is a file host like MediaFire, except that it offers FTP uploads. So using PHP have users browse for the file, then redirect it to FreakShare via FTP. Then hotlink it to your site using an ftp:// address and cover up your credentials using file_get_contents() . They have enough storage you'll pretty much never run out. But that was just an idea.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
Freakshare premium: $9.99/mo.
x10Premium: $6.95/mo (monthly rate reduces for longer term subscription, ie. if purchased for 3 years up front it becomes $3.95/mo. Order the 2 and 3-year hosting plan and you'll get a free domain, SSL security certificate, and dedicated IP addresses at no additional cost.)

For a serious long-term website/project, it's a no brainer. For less...kinda still a no brainer.

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
We do not disallow users from uploading files. We disallow users from running a file hosting service--like freakshare.com.

Our hosting servers (and our VPS nodes) are pure-SSD storage, and while we can offer unmetered storage on our hosting, we cannot offer unlimited storage.

If you're paying for tiered storage, such as on a VPS plan, you would be able to run a file hosting service. If you have a forum or whatever and users upload files there that are relevant to your website, and not just uploading them for the sake of uploading them or for others to download them, then you can use our shared hosting plans.