Using Cloudflare Nameservers

Status
Not open for further replies.

mycoo368

Reaction score
My friend on x11 changed their name servers to Cloudflare almost a whole week ago. Is it supposed to affect where the root domain resolves to as well for DNS? I get it if it only mainly affects the www, but I thought doing the name servers would even affect the root domain as well. Its ok with him at the moment if it will only just go to www. but there is an issue. Those changes have not propagated all across for DNS. Some are still resolving to the actual server and some are resolving to Cloudflare via the www. subdomain. So I'm reaching out here to get feedback on what is going on. Removing www from DirectAdmin causes those that have not resolved to Cloudflare to be not routable at all while the ones that saw Cloudflare continue to route to Cloudflare.

I have not tried it myself on x13 since mine is the CNAME setup.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried asking the support of cloudflare? We can not support how their end works.

I don't use cloudflare myself and never have, but it should indeed affect the root domain as well when you change name servers (though there are some questions as to how well it would actually work with the x10 provided domains as they are technically subdomains).

mycoo368

Reaction score
Have you tried asking the support of cloudflare? We can not support how their end works.

I don't use cloudflare myself and never have, but it should indeed affect the root domain as well when you change name servers (though there are some questions as to how well it would actually work with the x10 provided domains as they are technically subdomains).
@Anna

They keep insisting the name servers are not set to them. He tells them it can’t be the case because it actually 1/4th works. Their root domain throughout still points to x10 servers so they setup a redirect to www. sub domain to get past that. On www sub domain, it half works. What I mean by half works is that some DNS revolvers saw the name servers for Cloudflare and are routing the www to them and others are not even seeing the Cloudflare NS at all and only see the x10 nameservers as if it never even really propagated fully.

For example, going to their site via Comcast DNS resolvers never see Cloudflare, but if I connect via Cloudflare (works fine on their www sub domain only as expected) or Sprint DNS resolvers, they see Cloudflare.

Though I did run the dig command via Sprint and Comcast DNS and while running it on the Comcast it only sees ns1 and ns2 for x10hosting.com but it gets bad referral messages display.

Status
Not open for further replies.