Video Games Cause Violence?

Farenvin

Reaction score
So, this debate goes round and round forever.

Do you believe that violence is only blamed on video games, and that parents aren't paying attention to what their kids play? Do you believe that murders look to video games as a cheap way out? Do you think that games should have adjustable violence settings, a la Half-Life (1)? Do you think that video games, especially the Diablo/GTA/Manhunt series, are the spawn of Satan himself? Do you think that Jack Thompson is a crusader for rights, or a senseless idiot? Or maybe you believe that video games are pointless and should be outlawed? What about not ENOUGH violence in video games? Do you giggle like a morbid school girl every time you gib someone, or do you avoid games like that like the bubonic plague?

I know you have a stance on this. Let loose.

(BTW, am I allowed to partake? :D)

hopper

Reaction score
personally i think if anything, the violence in gmaes/movies/tv shows is more a symptom of the problem then the cause
back in the days of the ancient romans they didnt have tv or video games or special effects like they do today but they were just as violent, the only difference being now the violence is fake whereas back then death scenes and death matches often actually involved someone actually dieing in front of the audience, so in some ways verry little has changed since our ancestors except the means of expressing violence and the fact that nowadays nobody actually gets hurt.

Last edited:

HomerJ

Reaction score
Video games are just a convenient excuse that some people use to deflect the blame off of them after doing something wrong.

I don't even play video games, but I am entirely against any regulation and certainly any ban on them.

hopper

Reaction score
i second that opinion, blaming video games is too easy, a lot of societies, particular American society (I'm American so don't think I'm some radical anti-American person) has come to be the types to like to pin the blame for things going wrong on someone or something else, its becoming less and less common these days for people to take responsibility for their own actions

VPmase

Reaction score
IMO, it all depends on the maturity level of the player and how the player is controlled. If he/she is not cared for and his parents don't tell him/her the difference of simulation and reality then it could be bad....

taekwondokid42

Reaction score
Video games probably don't increase violence too much, although as graphics get more intense I can see people getting desensitized, making them more violence prone.

DarthVadre

Reaction score
Acts of violence are the person's problem. Video games (and other media influences) should never be blamed as the reason. They are 'influences'.
It really goes to the maturity of the person. ESRB (and other) rating services are guidelines, it's maturity that counts. A T-rated game can have bad influences on an unmature adult (sadly, there are some of those people out there).

hopper

Reaction score
here's an interesting thought i had.. when you think of a 'gang' and its members from the 1950s and prior what do you think of? Probably you'd think of Italian crime families (the mafia), Al Capone, etc.. not to say that there weren't juvenile gangs but adult gangs were the more prevailant, nowadays when you think of a 'gang' you think of teens.

like2program

Reaction score
crimevictims.jpg

'nuff said

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Video games do not cause violence what so ever. It's things like school and depression that cause violence, so anything people say about video games causing violence is complete BS. I play first person shooter games all the time, everything from HL2 to Crysis with the graphics maxed (and blood enabled), and I don't see myself going around beating stuff up or doing violence...

Last edited:

like2program

Reaction score
Decided it wasn't " 'nuff" so here I go:
All the talk that violence releases violent thoughts is... :bsflag:.

It encourages it and provokes anger among humans.
It just so happens that it also turns people into complete nerds so they never leave their house.
By never leaving they avoid further contact with other human beings, thus decreasing overall violence.

Last edited:

Starshine

Legend Killer
Reaction score
Video games do not cause violence what so ever. It's things like school and depression that cause violence, so anything people say about video games causing violence is complete BS. I play first person shooter games all the time, everything from HL2 to Crysis with the graphics maxed (and blood enabled), and I don't see myself going around beating stuff up or doing violence...

But you know the difference. That was is in the game is fantasy and doing that for real is not right. A lot of people see the games, play them for hours upon hours, and then in some diluted, mental trip, think that the game is real life and go commit the same crimes.

Such as the Columbine shooting. The two young kids played video games ( watched movies as well ), followed a certain crowd, thinking it was cool and was different than the norm of life. It all depends on how one takes the games they are playing and realizes that it IS just a video game ... and rape, murder, speeding, shooting random people, is not something to do on a Sunday afternoon in your downtown neighborhood.

like2program

Reaction score
Such as the Columbine shooting. The two young kids played video games ( watched movies as well ), followed a certain crowd, thinking it was cool and was different than the norm of life. It all depends on how one takes the games they are playing and realizes that it IS just a video game ... and rape, murder, speeding, shooting random people, is not something to do on a Sunday afternoon in your downtown neighborhood.

Ya well... You have to admit, most people don't think like that. We rationalize that it is just a game and not appropriate in real life. Then, some idiot comes along and buys the game.
If he/she is not cared for and his parents don't tell him/her the difference of simulation and reality

The outcome is a crazy kid who thinks it's just fine to blow someone brains out.
Then they do, state passes law banning that game for children and kid gets away with the crazy charge.

Starshine

Legend Killer
Reaction score
Ya well... You have to admit, most people don't think like that. We rationalize that it is just a game and not appropriate in real life. Then, some idiot comes along and buys the game.

And this is where it comes from. The lawmakers and those that just like to listen to themselves talk see these issues - some kid plays 100 hrs straight of GTA or some game of sorts, then goes and steals from the neighbors and the local gun shop and blows away the neighborhood child care center.

We can say that video games don't cause violence, only to see links of kids playing certain games and the troubles they get themselves into. Its really hard to say. Its just how the lawmakers of our time are seeing things. The more violent the game that comes out, the more violent certain acts get ... when in court or the CSI's do the paperwork, it leads to games or movies. ( They fail to mention the lack of parent supervision, guidance, etc )

like2program

Reaction score
Most people blame the video games for the violence
They fail to mention the lack of parent supervision, guidance, etc
If
his parents don't tell him/her the difference of simulation and reality then it could be bad....
By not properly instructing their children the grow up to be very immature and
it's maturity that counts. A T-rated game can have bad influences on an unmature adult.
Edit:
Now for a paragraph!

Every parent has an obligation to his or her children. Without that guidance the child will just soak up games, TV, and other influence like a sponge. Without having others to learn from after that they will eventually become reckless themselves just like the characters in TV and Game that raised them. If they just so happened to have played GTA III when they were small they will remember this and fall into the hands of evil-ed-ness(couldn't think of a good word to put here.) Most normal people would still be OK, but every once-in-a-while we find a total idiot with no common sense. When combined with all of the above, they are a walking time bomb.:eek4:

Last edited:

Zangetsu

Reaction score
yes but arnt you forgetting another thing ? movies also are also a source of violence

tektrnica

Reaction score
this is just the same type of crap that gets music in to trouble... "my kid killed everyone cause of the music/band he was into" total CRAP. Whatever happened to certain members of the population just being a fruitcake... ???

Video game/movies and music should stop being made the scapegoat and people should just realise, that there kid has problems.

like2program

Reaction score
I have to agree with Zangetsu and tektrnica, Video games are not the only source of this. I would say that video games are more widely publicized though. Music is second and movies, well, thats just a movie I mean, really how many people blamed it on a movie? "I killed him cause I played this game which thaught me how to do it.", "I killed him cause *rapper* said it was cool.", "I Killed him cause I saw it in a movie/on tv once."

Really, if you go out and kill someone you are really messed up.

Kaiyn

Reaction score
Actually, I read a recent article on the internet somewhere awhile ago about how those who play violent video games are less likely to go out and actually kill someone or something. The people doing this took a poll before and after 2 hours of playing World of Warcraft (not really a good choice of game to use for this type of poll...) and it showed that some of those particiating actually were too tired after playing to do anything harmful. It also showed that they were less aggrevated than when they started. So... no?