Video Games Cause Violence?

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
Hello there,

This is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard, it makes me laugh actually. Video games have nothing to do with how violent someone is. If they're deluded and think the way they behave in a game is the way should behave in the real world, it's their problem isn't it?

I seriously see no reason for someone to be violent because of the games they play.

-Luke.

Farenvin

Reaction score
Looks like there is no one to actually debate against...boo.

My thoughts on this are that people want a cheap way out and video games have come to be the answer. I'm tired of some kid thinking he is invincible (which is hormones Jack Thompson, not some kid thinking he entered 'god' into life's ~console) and blowing someone's head off. Of course, first person they see is a psychiatrist, and the psychiatrist is a person with a family that doesn't want to be here. He also doesn't want to be yelled at yet again, and he just wants to have a quiet day, so he pulls something out of his butt that he has been hearing about; the video games caused it. Mummy is happy that it's not her little pumpkins fault he shot 32 people at the local mall, it was the nasty video games! So she goes on a holy crusade (backed and funded by Jack Thompson, of course) to prevent one of the most popular entertainment mediums in the world from making anything a two year old couldn't play...

And so the entertainment industry agrees. The world is taken by storm, Jack Thompson's face is all over TV, radio, newspaper about his victory of justice.

All is well until Manhunt 5 comes out. Jack Thompson is BACK on the air waves (but with more self-righteous saliva spewing), demanding it be burned...the creators get on TV...

"Well, we figured it would be fine to make it, I mean, she just wanted a two year old to be able to play it. And with her supervision skills, I think a 11 month old could play it. Maybe not a 10 month old, but I think a 11 month old could pull it off."

echidna

Reaction score
I believe that since video games are the new art form, they will get blamed for violence much like music, books, and art did and still do. I also believe that as video games get more energetic advocates that blame will lessen.

I had to write a 5 page persuasive essay in English. This was my subject. If you want to read it, I attached it to this reply.

P.S: If you do read it and like my ideas, please be kind and do not plagerize.
:biggrin:

Attachments

• Violence in Videogames.doc
    41.5 KB · Views: 224

rlodge

Reaction score
So she goes on a holy crusade (backed and funded by Jack Thompson, of course) to prevent one of the most popular entertainment mediums in the world from making anything a two year old couldn't play...

And so the entertainment industry agrees. The world is taken by storm, Jack Thompson's face is all over TV, radio, newspaper about his victory of justice.
Sounds familiar......Smoking is the end of the world, someone goes on a crusade and all of a sudden it's "I'll Sue".

You can't say "God" in school! That offends me. I'll sue.

Special interest groups are the real problem here. Cindy Sheehan and her crusade against the Preaident. Look at the press that got. Look at the press all these school shootings get.

Now look at the press the soldiers in Iraq get when they actually help a family over there. Oh. Wait. That doesn't happen.

A lot of you haven't seen what a couple of different generations of kids were like. I have. I have watched kids today that would have been beat blind by my parents for their behavior. Today, they're called "troubled" or "special" or "sensitive". They're sent to a "timeout". They're given prescription drugs to alter their behavior. They see therapists. (And before you say anything about my abusive parents, I'm 45 years old, have never had any trouble with the law, never even had a speeding ticket and have never even been pulled over in 29 years of driving.)

I cannot remember a day when I was a kid where I heard someone had the idea to shoot a classful of kids and teachers. And we had kids bring guns to school. They were out hunting and came back in time for school and left the rifles in their cars in the school parking lot.

I don't know if kids are mimicking what they see glorified on TV or if TV and movies and games glorify actual behavior that the kids then mimick. Kids have changed drastically in their behavior from when I was a kid.

In one way I do blame the games. I remember the funny story about San Andreas a couple years back where their code was stolen and released on the internet early. Oh the shock. A game about (and named) "Grand Theft" stolen! The games don't have encoded messages but kids do pick up on the idea and then they see how the stuff is glorified in real life. How many Columbine massacres were there before Columbine and how many cropped up after the media plastered it all over the airwaves?

A lot of the blame goes to parents. The parents who are either too busy too lazy or just don't care to step up and teach their kids right from wrong. (I do this, quite often for my kids and one is 21 years old and still gets lectured!) The ones that are scared of the law and social services. If you're disciplinig your kids and not breaking the law, you have nothing to fear except that little Johnny might be angry with you.

Well, that's my $.02. It won't buy you a cup of coffee but I just get so tired of the "Kids will be kids" answer when something really bad happens. They get that influence from somewhere and they're not being taught right from wrong.

hopper

Reaction score
i totally agree, when i was a kid i got spanked when i misbehaved
now, how dare a parent lay a hand on their kids.. *cough* lawsuit *cough* or worse *cough* child abuse *cough*
there is a difference between a few whacks on the ass with a ruler and beating a child abusively
i'm here to say i was spanked numerous times and im not about to go shoot up a place nor am i emotionally scarred, in fact i came out stronger for the ordeal
the problem is because you cant really dicipline a child these days the children get it in their heads that they can get away with stuff and slowly they do, and over time they slowly go for bigger and bigger misbehavior and as they dont get punished they get bolder and bolder, not to mention as they reach the teenage years, hormones drive them to be rebellious to begin with
that and as i mentioned today alot of society has lost the ability to take responsibility for their own actions, they HAVE to find a scapegoat, someone or something else to conveniently pin it on
video games have had violence in them since their conception almost, look at wolfenstein 3d or doom or metroid, and before that we had violence in movies, granted not as much by today's standards and as for music, the previous generation historically has almost ALWAYS had some sort of criticism for the current generation's music.
alot of the 'progress' we have made as civilizations is really superficial, humans are by nature aggressive especially males because frankly when humans still lived in caves it was up to the men to defend the family and the agressive tendancy is latent instinct in humans, why not blame violence on that? because we are sensible enough we should be able to override that instinct, and as i mentioned before, the ancient romans actually killed people in front of other people for entertainment, the responsibility for the violence lies not in video games but in society as a whole for allowing dicipline of children to slip this far.

dirtracer36

Reaction score
When I was a kid growing up, there was no video games to play. Not like they are now. "pong" certainly didn't make people violent, suicidal maybe. I was somewhat violent growing up. I blame alot of it on hanging out with the wrong crowd (they didn't play video games either) or perhaps my parents not being around or not strict enough.

I have had a family with 3 great kids, 2 beautiful grandkids. I was a firefighter for 16 years. I have been playing alot of very violent video games for the past 20 years (fantasy games also). I do not feel like going out and killing anyone. I rode my Harley with and hung out with some very violent motorcycle clubs, they don't play video games.

I think video games help to relieve tension. Games don't cause people to commit crimes. People commit crimes because they have something wrong in their cabeza (head, noggin, noodle, squash, pumpkin, melon, neck wart, .....

No, video games do not promote or provoke violence, people themselves promote and create violence. Society is to blame for not taking care of the children.

hopper

Reaction score
well said i coudn't agree more
When I was a kid growing up, there was no video games to play. Not like they are now. "pong" certainly didn't make people violent, suicidal maybe. I was somewhat violent growing up. I blame alot of it on hanging out with the wrong crowd (they didn't play video games either) or perhaps my parents not being around or not strict enough.

I have had a family with 3 great kids, 2 beautiful grandkids. I was a firefighter for 16 years. I have been playing alot of very violent video games for the past 20 years (fantasy games also). I do not feel like going out and killing anyone. I rode my Harley with and hung out with some very violent motorcycle clubs, they don't play video games.

I think video games help to relieve tension. Games don't cause people to commit crimes. People commit crimes because they have something wrong in their cabeza (head, noggin, noodle, squash, pumpkin, melon, neck wart, .....

No, video games do not promote or provoke violence, people themselves promote and create violence. Society is to blame for not taking care of the children.