Virtual OS on Flash Drive?!

jspcodes

Reaction score
VM-Ware workstation is Vitual OS which you can run in Windows. And you can select an Virtual Operating system. If you installed Linux, you can select that too and without restarting. Windows and Linux will be available on same time.
No need to restart.

R-Desktop is a virtual OS which does the same thing like VM Ware workstation but runs on Linux and it is open source too.

blitzkrieg

Reaction score
What you really want in my opinion is MojoPac... I beta tested it back when it was still in beta and it allows you to run a complete desktop replacement with programs from a USB drive.

I think it is really what you want.. no restarting needed, no installation needed and all the programs and your desktop as if you were on your computer.

http://www.mojopac.com/

sandogg

Reaction score
QEMU Puppy is what ypu want:
http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/qemupuppy/
It is an older version of Puppy Linux but works fine and has pretty much all you need and it is possible to install new packages.
You can just double click on the exe and voila. Also works inside linux via shell script (included).
In fact QEMU is portable and while it is not on par with virtual box etc it will run small linux machines such as DSL and Puppy just fine.

I had also stumbled across a portable version of Virtual PC 2007 that worked ok, just google that one I think.

selectiveapathy.com - My Blog

Sohail

Reaction score
I would say putting a virtual OS on a flash drive isn't worth it because it would run way too slow.

thproj

Reaction score
Hirens 9.9
Is designed to boot from usb so no funny business,FormatUSB Grub4DOS... Copy paste 1folder two .ini's and your in...

its a wiz!
its Fast
& bloody reliable

isnt however a full operating suite as much as its your common tools that you would use, its more less a tollbox of killer software!
feel dree to contactme and i can give you a lil more info on it, Vandle1@yahoo.co.uk

alternativly
Just search Hirens Boot Cd/USB on google!
you dont actually need a flash drive any bigger than 256mb so if i where you id just creat one anyway and store it for the downpoor & sleetstorms!

GoodLuck!

pceasies

Reaction score
If I get you correctly you want a Portable Virtual Operating System? Not just a Live OS you reboot and go into? I don't know what all platforms it supports, but QEMU is tiny and would probably work for what you want.

** Turns out it has an OSX version also.