Vista style interface.

sourfacedcyclop

Reaction score
Well I wanted to try to make a vista style web design and think I at least partially succeeded. There are some kinks I still need to straighten out and things I want to add but the main design is complete. What do you think? Good, okay, completely hopeless and terrible?

http://sourfacedcyclop.x10hosting.com/

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
That looks really good actually. Reminds me of the WP Vista Theme. (you can see it at http://jagf.net/blog )

It is a little choppy, but it looks great!

mogey5101

Reaction score
Its over all nice design. A bit choppy as leafypiggy said. I really like how you have the little browser there. The virtual desktop look reminds me of a wordpress theme i use.

tzabaot

Reaction score
Very nice theme.

Do you programming all? or Only install it.

Greetings

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
Tzaobot:

I'm pretty sure he designed and coded it. Is English your first language? Cause your grammar isn't very good.

sourfacedcyclop

Reaction score
Very nice theme.

Do you programming all? or Only install it.

Greetings

I made the images and coded it myself. I'm not a fan of installing themes or templates unless its in something I don't have confidence doing (wordpress, forums etc...) As for the choppiness, I have noticed it, but I not sure if there is anything I can do about it (that wouldn't require a drastic overhaul anyway..)

Jordan C

Reaction score
Wow. Thats really nice, I like it! Maybe you should try making it into a bit of a webOS, with a little more scripting, you could move around the windows, as if it were a real OS.

Keep up the good work!

sourfacedcyclop

Reaction score
Wow. Thats really nice, I like it! Maybe you should try making it into a bit of a webOS, with a little more scripting, you could move around the windows, as if it were a real OS.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks!, The idea sounds really cool, but I don't even know where to start to do something like that. :)

Last edited:

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
Haha.

They are called DBX. (no clue what they stand for. :x)

Its used on the sidebar of the wordpress theme I use for my blog.

http://neilhanlon.co.cc

You can move those boxes around. :)

I'm sure google can help. :p

xPlozion

Reaction score
it looks very nice and unique, but i have a few gripes.

1) try to find the navigation images as pngs, or do a print screen and cut them out, because they look like they were originally jpegs, which have artifacts
2) try to make the url bar in the window dynamic for a more unique experience :)

dbojan

Reaction score
Very nice. I was thinking about something like this earlier for my joomla site and have found this theme.

sourfacedcyclop

Reaction score
it looks very nice and unique, but i have a few gripes.

1) try to find the navigation images as pngs, or do a print screen and cut them out, because they look like they were originally jpegs, which have artifacts
2) try to make the url bar in the window dynamic for a more unique experience :)

Fixed (I think). I had originally saved the top nav buttons as a jpg and then transfered them to a png :). I think the url bar is dynamic now, if what I think you meant is correct.

xPlozion

Reaction score
the url bar wasn't what i was talking about. possibly make it so the user can change it, even if it doesn't do anything ;) or even have a drop-down menu like ie or ff has for the pages that you've been to and have links to other popular or important parts of your site, for a quick menu for instance

the search icon in the start menu is a bit stretched/distorted, and use js to make the current time in the clock area to be in the user's native time (that's what js does).

Last edited:

sourfacedcyclop

Reaction score
Ahh, thats what you meant. I'll try, but I have little (nearly zero) knowledge of scripting, be it javascript of php, so it should be an interesting endeavor :)

xPlozion

Reaction score
ok, well the clock they have all over the net.

for the url box, maybe look into floating a div using relative position, make it have display:none when it loads, then use javascript to change it to display:block ;)

sourfacedcyclop

Reaction score
Thanks,
I was going to add a couple more things, but I found my javascript skills to be woefully insufficient to do it :). I'll probably try to add them later on, but for now it will have to do. Thanks for your reviews everyone, its always nice to know what others think of your work.

JuniorD

Reaction score
I can tell you one thing, the nav bar does not look like that lol. Same with the tool bar. Try fixing up the background while your at it.

sourfacedcyclop

Reaction score
I can tell you one thing, the nav bar does not look like that lol. Same with the tool bar. Try fixing up the background while your at it.
Its not suppose to be an exact match. I'm not the greatest with graphic making, and I didn't want to just copy and paste vista images.

stpvoice

Community Support Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
Its quite good. I once designed a vista interface using sothink dhtml menu builder. It was very good. Perhaps illaborate a bit more on images etc. It looks very plain and boring.