VPNs

pattinso

Reaction score
I'm under the impression VPNs are used to protect a user from prying eyes and stolen passwords. But X10 doesn't allow us to log in while being protected making it easy to steal credentials. This makes no sense or am I misunderstanding something?

spacresx

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
if im not mistaken, the use of vpn would also mask the true owner of the accounts getting logged into.
thus becoming a further security risk for x10, since the ip address would be masked,
and there would not be anyway to prevent individuals from logging in to someone elses account.
resulting in a users account at a higher risk of hacking.

so if you think its wrong to say no to vpns then your willing to allow anyone access to your account.
im sure staff could explain this in a more technical manner, i just thought id try a more simple method.

pattinso

Reaction score
Interesting thought, but that means if I go on vacation or move out-of-state (or out-of-country) I can't access my site because my IP Address will definitely change, locking me out.

The username/password is the lynch-pin to protection, not the IP address.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
VPNs (as well as proxies) are not allowed as they can be used to bypass restrictions setup by x10hosting on what countries we provide free hosting service to.

Our premium services does not have such restriction.

pattinso

Reaction score
Ahhh, that makes sense. Thanks, Anna.

Just curious, what are the requirements to be 'banned' from free hosting?

Eric S

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting thought, but that means if I go on vacation or move out-of-state (or out-of-country) I can't access my site because my IP Address will definitely change, locking me out.

The username/password is the lynch-pin to protection, not the IP address.

This is incorrect. Your account will not be locked out based solely on IP or location change. Our anti-abuse system blocks known ISP, VPN and proxies along with countries that have been added to our system.

pattinso

Reaction score
Your account will not be locked out based solely on IP or location change.
This was my point. What I posted would be the result of spacresx's assertion. Anna's explanation made more sense since it didn't use the IP to test the validity of a login, just the validity of geographic access.