VPS vs Premium

denzil

Reaction score
For a dynamic website with lots of traffic, which is the better option? VPS or premium? How many users would premium be able to handle simultaneously (any rough estimate from someone who knows would be appreciated)? The website in question has at least one large SQL statement PER PAGE to execute from a database with large amounts of entries in the tables (possibly up to a million or more). The website will be very dynamic and will have very few static pages to it.

Also, I read that VPS and premium is not allowed to have IRC. But how about dedicated VPS? Does the same rule apply? Surely it shouldn't? Thanks a lot for any informative reply!

Last edited:

carl6969

Community Support Team
Community Support
Reaction score
x10Premium Terms Of Service
"x10Hosting does not allow the use of it's services for illegal activities. This includes hosting of copyrighted material, nulled scripts, or anything that is considered illegal under US law. A suspension leading up to termination will be imposed for a breach of these terms. While we strive to accommodate all types of sites our shared hosting may not be used for the following:
File or Image Hosting Sites
Proxies
Download scripts such as but not limited to Rapidleech and TorrentFlux
Backup Space \ File Storage
Mirrors for software or game files
Scripts that run continuously
Scripts that run unattended or could be considered daemons
IRC Bots
Anything that would be considered illegal under US law"

x10VPS Terms Of Service
"x10Hosting does not allow the use of services for illegal activities. This includes hosting of copyrighted material, nulled scripts, or anything that is considered illegal under US law. A suspension leading up to termination will be imposed for a breach of these terms. While we strive to accommodate all types of customers your VPS may not be used for the following:
Bittorrent Trackers
Sending of unsolicited Email (SPAM)
Anything related to a botnet
Downloading Torrents
Hosting of illegal or copyrighted files
Free Hosting Companies
IRC Services"

Last edited:

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Why IRC services are not allowed on VPS?? Do you consider IRC and Chat Rooms as same thing?? for instance consider chatindia. It doesn't give any load to server and doesn't consume high bandwidth. We have checked resources usage and it was nearly negligible.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
IRC services is IRC services, like running an irc server or a bot that does connect to such server.

That particular rules does actually originate from the AUP of our DC.

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
can you explain an IRC in little more detail. And you haven't answered my question. Do you think all chat scripts are counted under IRC

Last edited:

denzil

Reaction score
Oh thanx. I misunderstood the concept myself! Am I then allowed to have a simple AJAX chat script or something of the like on premium?

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
roughly i can say that IRC are very very big chat servers with several thousand users at a time?

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
I asked SingleHop a while back. By IRC services it means ANYTHING to do with IRC - IRCds, IRC bots, even bouncers. They say that "it is to reduce the risk of DDoS".

AJAX chat boxes are fine :)

~Callum

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh thanx. I misunderstood the concept myself! Am I then allowed to have a simple AJAX chat script or something of the like on premium?
Yes you can, you can do that on free hosting as well as long as the script does not use too much of the server resources.

roughly i can say that IRC are very very big chat servers with several thousand users at a time?
Very simplified they are big chat servers yes.
An irc server would not be able to run in a shared hosting environment, root access is needed, a server application has to be installed to the server for it to work. There are Java implementations to utilize an option to connect to an IRC server from a web interface though (mibbit.com provides such a widget for use on personal pages), the chat link at this forum connects to the x10hosting irc server. You can also connect to an IRC server using an application installed on your computer, iceChat and mIRC are examples of such applications.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes you can, you can do that on free hosting as well as long as the script does not use too much of the server resources.

Very simplified they are big chat servers yes.
An irc server would not be able to run in a shared hosting environment, root access is needed, a server application has to be installed to the server for it to work. There are Java implementations to utilize an option to connect to an IRC server from a web interface though (mibbit.com provides such a widget for use on personal pages), the chat link at this forum connects to the x10hosting irc server. You can also connect to an IRC server using an application installed on your computer, iceChat and mIRC are examples of such applications.

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I asked SingleHop a while back. By IRC services it means ANYTHING to do with IRC - IRCds, IRC bots, even bouncers. They say that "it is to reduce the risk of DDoS".

AJAX chat boxes are fine :)

~Callum

and java+flash. ajax chat room consume lot more bandwidth and give high load to server than java chat. if ajax chat rooms are fine then java+flash chat rooms will also be fine. but asking just to confirm.

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
Yep that's all fine.

Realistically, I don't believe that hosting an IRCd will raise the risk of DDoS any more than hosting an AJAX chat, but SingleHops in charge here :)

~Callum