Wanna use Windows 3.1 again?

techfc

Reaction score
You can laugh with my question. Yes! This is just a funny question for you, but I think you should do that. You should have experience in famous Windows version - 3.1 and you can feel clearly that a computer technology is being developed so fast. Now it's hard to find a Windows 3.1's CD but you can try this OS on the Michael Vincent's website. He create a website to simulate the old Windows version.
Win31.jpg

Via TechFC.com

Zubair

Community Leader
Community Support
Reaction score
Great!

I never use Windows 3.1

I started computer from windows 98

csc2ya

Reaction score
Windows 3.1 can be downloaded for free as an image. It's technically abandonware now.

http://vetusware.com/category/OS/?cat=1&page=3

It's about halfway down on that page.

I've got a copy myself for running in virtualbox.

Only downside is that the version on there is on floppies (I think....the version i've got is), so you have to install ms dos first, then install 3.1 from within that.

I've also got a copy of Windows 1.0 from there.

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
I remember using that... :) My parents had it on their computer when I was about half the age I am now... Though that might have been 3.11 :)

When I first encountered a computer in school, (we used it to learn how to type without looking at the keys) it was a computer with a dos interface and 5 1/4" floppies :)

Though the first computer I could call my own was with windows 95

Last edited:

waterlogger

Reaction score
I started using a mainframe with basic before Microsoft and PC's existed. When Windows came out it was too big and slow to be of much use on most PC's of the day. Windows 7 is the first version that's been a big improvement since 3.2;)

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I still have some old working Windows 3.1 Installation Floppies here. I've never used a PC running Basic but I used to own a very old Apple machine around the time of the Apple EasyTalk and then we also owned a 486 machine running Windows 3.1. That 486 machine is in the basement. The Apple was recycled a while ago since it was defunct.

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
The first computer I ever used was a windows 98 computer... and I wasn't able to add my printer on it because it was USB! I don't even need to go back to 3.1 to feel the improvement of computers (now I don't even need to install a driver manually, my printer's driver is included in windows or automatically downloaded from M$'s website :D).

Mr. DOS

Reaction score
You kids. The first computer in my house was an XT clone running MS-DOS 5.02 ;)

Windows 3.1(1) is actually decent if you can feed it enough RAM. While it could be quite unstable and was almost always slow on 486's, it actually runs incredibly well on a high-end Pentium I with 64MB RAM. Also, if you can find the right graphics drivers for it, it can do high display resolutions just fine.

--- Mr. DOS

ddcddc

Reaction score
Wow, 3.1. I remember that..as well as good ole dos....Anyone else remember the days before the internet...BBS's?? 300/1200/2400.....baud? lol. Man, technology has come a long way. What is it that Moore's law states?? Technology doubles every...what is it 1 year? I forget.

My father used to work on a Navy ship that had a computer which took an entire room..he did the A/C. I can't even imagine the generated by all those transistior tubes.

monkeymhz

Reaction score
Windows 3.1 was one of the best stages in my life. My entry into the computer world started with it, games, and more. Not to mention that 386/486 lasted me sooo long, it died around 2003. And only the hard drive died, everything else worked. And I still have a windows 3.1 install cd.

stesouthby

Reaction score
oooh windows 3.1 they was the good days :) i must admit it was one of the best OS out there it did the job without any problems or even locking up

gflash76

Reaction score
Now Selling: Windows For Workgroups 3.11 Floppies...

LOL. I still have my 3.11 floppy set and I still use it on an early-model Compaq Presario. Ahhh, those were the days.

krofunk

Reaction score
I have personally never used 3.1 however I have spent an amount of time with Windows 2 :cool: from what I know they are fairly similar :dunno:

What I do know is that if you have the drives, installing windows 2 is not a problem in Virtual PC etc

Alot faster in VPC compaired to when it was in service, to be expected I suppose :lol: