Web Design Prices?

leafypiggy

Manager of Pens and Office Supplies
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm starting out a Web Design Website, and I need some info/help.

I was wondering what the average price was for a web design was.

I was thinking of:

$18 per hour of work. Plus $15 per page after 10 pages.

So like, if the customer wanted 11 pages of stuff:

15 hours @ $18 per hour, plus $15 = $285

Should I do something like that? Or a flat rate, like:

$150 for the front page, plus $50 per page after that.

Comments please?

Thanks,

Agenator

Reaction score
To help us better judge, give us some examples of your sites, how experienced are you? What areas are you skilled in? Do you validate your code? All of these has some effect on your prices and also on how much people are willing to pay you.

I'm also starting a webdesign company, but will start out with prices much lower than that to generate interest in my company before I actually start charging professional rates, because, well I'm not professional, even though my work may look good. From what I've seen from you (and believe me the sites are very good looking dont get me wrong) I think that both $18 an hour or $150 for the front page etc. is pretty high.
Start out small and work your way up. Rome wasn't built in a day...

Last edited:

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not working for $2 less than minimum wage. $8.00 is minimum wage in my state. It is stupid for me to work for $2 more than minimum wage if I could just go down the street and get a regular job.

I validate my code. I have ~2 1/2 years of experience. You can see examples of my work @ http://neilhanlon.co.cc/Designs/ . And that isn't all of them, my HDD got fried about 6 months ago. I code (x)HTML, CSS, PHP, Ajax, and others.

$18 is the normal price per page.

Agenator

Reaction score
Okay, then charge $18 a page, not $50 and use that as a flat rate. If your truley passionate about this I would think that just being able to get a professional level job, no matter what the pay, was better than going down the street to Taco Bell or w/e. Thats why I just recommend not charging so much unless you absoluetly need the money (ie. to pay bills etc.). That way, you can charge less, attract more clients, and get your name out there, and then start charging more for serious companies. But this is my opinion of course. Also, do you frequently look up things like how to do the css code etc. If you do, then it would probably be wise to not charge hourly since your essentially getting paid to learn (again, this is if you have to spend more than 5 min. looking up reference). Thats another reason I'm starting out for cheap, I still cant complete a website without using w3schools as a reference, hence the cheaper payment.

btw, I'm sorry if I accidentally step on your toes, I mean no offense :)

Last edited:

leafypiggy

Staff member
Reaction score
No, I just hate everyone. ;)

I'm just overtired. :p

I'll probably go about $15 per hour. Or something. Idk

I still need more thoughts about it.