WebGL Not Supported in Firefox 4(?)

bradym

Prime Account
Reaction score
I am trying to run the new Google body, but I keep getting the page that tells me to download a web browser that runs WebGL. This is my configuration. I'm running the brand new Firefox 4 (not the BETA), on Windows Vista, I have played around with the config settings for webGL in Firefox, all to no avail. One techie said to paste the following into my location bar, and when I do I get the message that WebGL is not supported. Here's the text:

data:text/html;charset=utf-8, <html> <head> <script>function browserSupportsWebGL() {var canvas = document.getElementById('gltest');var context = null;var names = ["webgl", "experimental-webgl", "webkit-3d", "moz-webgl"];for (var i = 0; i < names.length; ++i) {try { context = canvas.getContext(names); } catch(e) {}if (context) { break; }}return context != null;};function show(){alert('WebGL '+(browserSupportsWebGL()?'':'not ')+'supported');}</script> </head> <body onload="show()"> <canvas id="gltest" style="width:1px; height:1px"> </body> </html>

Can anyone help me figure out how to get the WebGL function working so that I
can runGoogle Body running on Firefox 4?
Thanks.

bradym

Prime Account
Reaction score
Well, I guess I got everybody stumped with that one? Now I know it wasn't covered in another thread, because someone would have most indelicately pointed that out to me by now. Of all the tech experts on this forum, surely someone can help me figure out why the WebGL that is supposed to be active in Firefox 4 is not.

MaestroFX1

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm running FF 4 too and it didn't work.
It redirects(points) to a beta as of now.
Sadly it didn't work with Chrome either.

If you are that eager to use that and can't wait, try changing the user-agent settings.

bradym

Prime Account
Reaction score
Thank you MaestroFX1,
After tweaking the FF4 configurations twice, even adding a line to enable WebGL for all applications, it still did not work. In another forum a poster said that he tried Chrome and that worked, so I tried it and sure enough, Chrome worked perfectly. So for right now, that's the solution, if anyone else out there was wondering. If you want a browser that runs WebGL, I had to use Chrome--no tweaking necessary.

MaestroFX1

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I bet you too are on windows platform.

After reading your post, I checked safari/ff on mbp snow leopard,it worked there.
And it kinda worked on my linux machine too.
(Can't be a coincidence - two *nix systems where it is working)

After "this" and a bit of snooping around with settings, I arrived at a conclusion that it had something to do with dlls.
I searched %system32% for files related to opengl/mesa, found one on xp.(opengl32.dll)
(Haven't experimented with windows7x64 yet, though there are atleast 4 files there).

I even tried
webgl.osmesalib with %windir%\System32\opengl32.dll
%windir%\System32\
D:\Windows\,etc

webgl.force-enabled with true ,etc

It didn't work.(So obvious)

Amusingly, I even created webgl.opengllib hoping that it might just work, but it didn't.

Anyway,I'm finding hard to get along with this new FF4, lack of save and quit,etc
It just looks like a mozilla-branded chrome!
But, hey it is just me !

Anywho, try finding anything thats relevant to GL in chrome and then use its analogous in ff, it might work !

And ofcourse do let me know !

See ya !

be_garcia9317

Reaction score
Thank you MaestroFX1,
After tweaking the FF4 configurations twice, even adding a line to enable WebGL for all applications, it still did not work. In another forum a poster said that he tried Chrome and that worked, so I tried it and sure enough, Chrome worked perfectly. So for right now, that's the solution, if anyone else out there was wondering. If you want a browser that runs WebGL, I had to use Chrome--no tweaking necessary.
Yes, I agree