Wesbite virgin

Status
Not open for further replies.

fartyhousecomix

Reaction score
Call me stupid if you like:cool: but I am a website virgin and am having terrible trouble getting my sons website up and running.
We have a domain name and an account with x10 hosting. My son created his website through Microsoft Office Publisher and I have attempted to upload the site through file manager. Now when we view the website we have just the front page with no images. I have uploaded all the images but still it makes no difference. Am I doing something cringingly obviously wrong? Please please help. We have come a long way in our Website building journey and feel we are so close!!

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
the code for the images says they are in a folder called index_files, do you have such a folder and are the images placed in that folder?

If not, you'll need to either alter the code to reflect where they are, or create and place the images in that folder.

loveispoison

Banned
Reaction score
can you provide us the link to your website if possible so we can see whats happing

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
Wow, this is intense, you named all your files "image" and "page" with numbers attached.

-.-

Could you give us a screenshot of your public_html folder in your File Manager? I think that's the only possible way we can determine what's actually wrong with it, because it's near impossible to know what's going on from the way you named your files.

And by the way, if you want a clear definite answer why your images aren't showing - the index_files folder does not exist.

gingerbread-man

Reaction score
looks to me what you have done wrong is after createing the page you have only uploaded the html file ... you need to upload ALL of the files to your site

fartyhousecomix

Reaction score
After creating the website I 'published to web' and it put the whole document into two files index.htm and then all the images went into a file called index_files. I cannot upload them without doing them individually. I did do that originally but they still make any difference so I deleted them all again. Do you think I put them in the wrong place? I still only have the front page of 4 showing.
Thanks for all your help

homeb.gif
(/home/farty)
access-logs

etc

mail

public_ftp

public_html

tmp

Name
Size
Type
Perms

Name
Size
Type
Perms
httpd-unix-directory.png

incoming
4 KB
httpd/unix-directory
text-x-generic.png

Farty House Comics.pub
7.89 MB
text/x-generic
text-html.png

index.htm
42.33 KB
text/html
Loading data...

Search Results for

Double click on a file or folder to open the folder (or the folder it is contained in if it is a file). Path

Note: Limited to 250 Results.

New Folder

Create a New Folder

New Folder Name:
New Folder will be created in:
homeb.gif

Code Editor

Code Editor

You will be editing:

If encodings are not important to you because you will only be working with english or other western languages you can disable this dialog by clicking here:

Please select the character encoding to open this file with:

We have attempted to auto-detect the encoding of this file. However, this is not a foolproof process since some files will display properly with multiple different encodings. You should select the encoding that this file was originally created with. It is very important that you select the proper encoding; saving your file with the wrong encoding may result in the corruption of your text. If you are only using a Western European language like English, Spanish or French without any special characters you can safely assume "ISO-8859-1" will work just fine. If you are using a non-western language or you have special characters that are not HTML encoded in your file, you should enter "utf-8". If your file appears with text like this:
encoding_lang_broken.png
encoding_lang_broken2.png
or
encoding_special_broken.png
You may have selected the incorrect encoding. If this happens, you should immediately abort the edit and select the correct encoding. You should not save the file; this will likely corrupt the text permanently.

Preferences

Disable Character Encoding Verification Dialogs

Copy

Copy

To copy files:

1. Select the files you wish to copy by clicking on their icon.
  2. Hold the "control" key and drag the files to the folder on the left you wish to copy them to.
OR
Type the path you wish to copy to and press "Copy":
homeb.gif

Copy File(s)Cancel
Close

Extract

Extract

Type the path you wish to extract to (if you enter a directory that does not exist it will be created, and the archive extracted in the new directory) and press "Extract":
homeb.gif

Text Editor

Text Editor

You will be editing:

If encodings are not important to you because you will only be working with english or other western languages you can disable this dialog by clicking here:

Please select the character encoding to open this file with:

We have attempted to auto-detect the encoding of this file. However, this is not a foolproof process since some files will display properly with multiple different encodings. You should select the encoding that this file was originally created with. It is very important that you select the proper encoding; saving your file with the wrong encoding may result in the corruption of your text. If you are only using a Western European language like English, Spanish or French without any special characters you can safely assume "ISO-8859-1" will work just fine. If you are using a non-western language or you have special characters that are not HTML encoded in your file, you should enter "utf-8". If your file appears with text like this:
encoding_lang_broken.png
encoding_lang_broken2.png
or
encoding_special_broken.png
You may have selected the incorrect encoding. If this happens, you should immediately abort the edit and select the correct encoding. You should not save the file; this will likely corrupt the text permanently.

riquez

Reaction score
".. Microsoft Office Publisher"

That is the root of your problem right there.

I looked at your website html code, & for the small amount of content you have on there it should be less than 100 lines of html - but you have about 2000 lines of unnecessary garbage.

I've been designing & building websites professionally for over 10 years & my advice to you at this stage, looking at that code, which is frankly the worst example I have ever seen generated by MS Frontage or publisher - start again & dont use anything by Microsoft. There are some free web page design programs you can download, or even start learning html & code it yourself.

I know thats a frustrating answer, but if you dont believe me, please "view source" on your page & see how much code there is - pages & pages. Then do the same on this page http://nwo.exofire.net/ which has more content but is 10 times less code.

I hand code everything I do, so im not going to be much help suggesting what program to use to help you design your page, but do a little bit of research on whats out there & get something reputable.
To start you off, i heard this one was quite good - http://kompozer.net/

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
The issue riquez mentioned is irrelevant to your problem. You asked about broken images, not compacting code. What website maker you use is totally your preference, and if you like Microsoft Office Publisher, then go ahead and use it. If Microsoft's products were really garbage as riquez mentioned, then Microsoft would have never become such a powerful and well-known company.

As for the screen shot of your File Manager, I sort of meant an image using Print Screen, not a copy+paste of the text. -.- lol

As for the massive number of files, if you don't want to upload them one by one, you can either set up a Webdisk and drag all the files into your hosting account, or compress them into a .zip archive and uncompress them after you've uploaded the .zip file to your public_html folder using the Uncompress feature in File Manager.

Finally, riquez, if http://nwo.exofire.net/ is your website, I strongly recommend you remove the logo from that site and create your own. That logo is trademarked by the professional wrestling brand New World Order, better known as nWo. You are stealing their trademark and they have every right to take legal action against the owner of that site.

Last edited:

loveispoison

Banned
Reaction score
hi i think there isnt any index_files folders were the images should be i checked and the index_files folder does not exist upload the index_files with images inside it and it should work

Last edited:

lolimaru

Reaction score
1) On your computer, make a new folder named "index_files"

2) Copy+Paste every image your website needs into that new folder

3) Now you want to compress the folder so that you can upload it to your File Manager all at once instead of image by image. So, right click the new index_files folder you just made, and click "add to archive." (If you have Winrar installed on your computer.) Or use any other program you may have already installed to make the folder a .zip or .rar

4) Now you want to go to the Cpanel, and then into your File Manager. Under Public_html directory, click upload and then upload your compressed folder. (If using Winrar, this folder will look like a stack of books with a vice grip thing on it)

5) Once Index_files is uploaded, you'll see it in the Public_html directory. You now must highlight it by clicking it, then press the "Extract" button.

6) Now all your images will load on your site!

Last edited:

fartyhousecomix

Reaction score
Thank you so much lolimaru your amazingly simple to follow instructions worked! Thank you Thank you. We have now got the complete website. We have just one more question for you please. We tried to seach the website on google and the only site which comes up is a link to this thread! How can friends etc find our website? We are dying to show it off!!
:dunno:

lolimaru

Reaction score
Your welcome, when I give out instruction I try to make them as simple to follow as possible. Glad everything worked!

Panels 3 and 4 of the comic "Dum-Bow" made me lol.

As for getting your page indexed by Google. I don't know much about search engine optimization but every website I've ever made I added it to: http://www.google.com/addurl/ and then a few days later my websites showed up in google searches.

zen-r

Reaction score
Hehe.

I'm sure Dum-Bow reminds me of someone!

Glad to see it's working now, & good luck to your son with his future creations. :)

fartyhousecomix

Reaction score
Just want to say thanks for all the really helpful advice. I seriously could not have done this without all your help. It appears to be up and running now and hopefully will soon be searchable on Google!
Is there any other advice you think I might need being a newby at this?

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
Is there any other advice you think I might need being a newby at this?

The only thing I can come up with now is to tell as many people as possible about your website so you get a solid user group, and update and/or add new content frequently to keep your visitors interested and longing to come back for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.