What Antivirus do you prefere??

• Thread starter themasterrocker
  • Start date
T

themasterrocker

What Antivirus software do you guys prefere?

I just ran out of a subcription of CA Antivirus and that was alright, but I prefere Mc Afee but if i cba to buy it because it's expensive to buy for 4 computers. Therefore i get freebies e.g Spyboy Search and Destroy and Drive Sentry 3.1.2 Which is what i have at the moment and they work really good with each other and i have them on all the computers.

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
I use Avast. It's free, does the job and can be forgotten about. It can intercept malicious downloads, which itself is great.

I've only used the interface when changing settings though. :biggrin:

T

themasterrocker

lol, Yeah, I like to know what I set the settings to when i load a programme it asks me so i know what i'm accepting to do and what i'm not so Drive sentry and Spybot S&D are helpful for that.

naerey

Reaction score
There's an offer from McAfee,

25% Off McAfee VirusScan Plus for 3 PCs
Only $44.99 after Coupon Code! Reg: $59.99
Coupon Code: MC0811313756pC727241137

Personally I don't use any antivirus although maybe I should start, since Mac viruses are starting to increase in volume ¬.¬
Otherwise I use Northon on my windows machines.

T

themasterrocker

Yeah, Mcafee is my favourite but i don't live in america.... I live in UK and i hate Norton Antivirus its the worse integrated anti-virus software out there!! I was reading it in a computer mag my dad has.

GG-Xtreme

Reaction score
McAfee is a massive resource hog, besides having many problems and being a poor choice overall. AVG, Avast and Avira, all free AV's, are much better than McAfee. If (for some stupid reason) you refuse to install a free AV, Kapersky is one of the best AV's in the world, and I've heard that NOD32 is very good as well. The two best suites you can buy are ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite and Norton 360 (it uses a totally redesigned AV engine that isn't a resource hog and is much more stable than the previous Norton horrors).

T

themasterrocker

I Disagree, McAfee isn't a resource hog on my upstairs comps nor my laptops.... The Max RAM i've noticed it use is about 15k and thats while i was scanning. and I refuse to install AVG because i hate it. I don't like one bit of it, Avast and Avira i've never heard of till you two brought it up. However i have heard of NOD32 and never used it, ZoneAlarm isn't a good suite because ZoneAlarm blocks the internet on the newer versions till you do something to unblock it from doing it. I read it in this computer mag my dad had that and Norton 360 is a big pile of rubbish. It is not as integrated as Mc Afee, Drive Sentry or any other anti-virus software out there. It has been proven by technical experts and was released somewhere i think it was a website or a mag again i saw lol.

dudzz

Reaction score
I use Avast. It's free, does the job and can be forgotten about. It can intercept malicious downloads, which itself is great.

I've only used the interface when changing settings though. :biggrin:
avast ftw :naughty:

firesteel

Reaction score
What Antivirus software do you guys prefere?

Avira AntiVir Premium. IMHO, one of the best antivirus programs ever released. Light on resources, heavy on keeping the bad stuff out. There's also a free personal version available for download.

http://www.free-av.de/en/download/1/avira_antivir_personal__free_antivirus.html

A brief review of several AV's and the respective performance of each with Windows XP SP2 is available here:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/The-Best-Windows-Antivirus-2008-Editions-80796.shtml

intertec

Reaction score
Avast and Nod32 are the best. Can't go wrong with them! Norton is pathetic. Anyone who uses Norton please stop because you are destroying your computer!

GG-Xtreme

Reaction score
I Disagree, McAfee isn't a resource hog on my upstairs comps nor my laptops.... The Max RAM i've noticed it use is about 15k and thats while i was scanning. and I refuse to install AVG because i hate it. I don't like one bit of it, Avast and Avira i've never heard of till you two brought it up. However i have heard of NOD32 and never used it, ZoneAlarm isn't a good suite because ZoneAlarm blocks the internet on the newer versions till you do something to unblock it from doing it. I read it in this computer mag my dad had that and Norton 360 is a big pile of rubbish. It is not as integrated as Mc Afee, Drive Sentry or any other anti-virus software out there. It has been proven by technical experts and was released somewhere i think it was a website or a mag again i saw lol.
I'm glad that your experience with McAfee wasn't like mine. I had to reformat 2 computers because of it. I beta-tested ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite and Norton 360, and was both surprised and pleased. Are there any particular reasons why you hate AVG? Have you tried the latest version? Also, Avast and Avira are supposed to have the best catch rates of any free AV programs, but I think AVG looks cooler and I never have virus problems anyway (AV is just a precaution for me, I'm smart, safe and cautious on the web and when downloading files).

Last edited:

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I use avast! as my av, then I use comodo firewall as my firewall and it has built - in AV too

Sohail

Reaction score
I use a Mac without anti-virus for 5 years and I've never got a virus :).

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I use a Mac without anti-virus for 5 years and I've never got a virus :).

Hahaha. Someone really should start making viruses to macs soon :p. So they can't go everywhere and yell at PC users "Ican't get viruses! haha!" ;P. Hehe just kidding ;P

T

themasterrocker

I'm glad that your experience with McAfee wasn't like mine. I had to reformat 2 computers because of it. I beta-tested ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite and Norton 360, and was both surprised and pleased. Are there any particular reasons why you hate AVG? Have you tried the latest version? Also, Avast and Avira are supposed to have the best catch rates of any free AV programs, but I think AVG looks cooler and I never have virus problems anyway (AV is just a precaution for me, I'm smart, safe and cautios on the web and when downloading files).

Well McAfee just needs to set a few things up and you need to work it out first, at first my dad was the one who worked it all out (i didn't have a laptop at that time) and it worked fine just protected what we went on AOL. But ZoneAlarm I heard was having a few problems with the latest version where the internet is blocked until u unblock it via settings and stuff (too much effort :p) and reasons i have AVG is the fact that it's too complicated i feel to use because the system is totally different to what programmes I am used to using. E.G CA antivirus, McAfee, Drive sentry, Spybot S&D (Search and Destroy. S&D 4 short) Therefore i find it different and more complex and I always download via either msn, (windows one live safety scanner scans the incomming files), Firefox, i have auto scanned with drive sentry, I don't use IE because i feel its an unnesarcary programme on my laptop because firefox is about 50 times less likely to get a virus and most advanced internet browser.

naerey

Reaction score
I don't understand why do people keep bashing Northon Antivirus... I've used it like since I got win2k, and it never caused me any problems and spotted many viruses quickly (though couldn't remove some, but it did isolate them).
And it's not a resource hog at all... I have only 512mb of RAM and can do lots without trouble. I don't think it ever uses more than like 10k resources...

Whereas I highly recommend to get a router, or an external firewall, not software on your computer. Or at least get a firewall installed on some old 98' computer and put it as a proxy.
There's many reasons for this, one of them being firewalls resource hogs ^^

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I use Avast! on 5 computers in my home. My 6th computer is running Linux. Back before I got DSL and really into computers, I used McAfee which was free with AOL dial-up.

Last edited:

charithjperera

Reaction score
Ive used Kaspersky and NOD32 for many years now and they have both run flawlessly and they take minimal resources :biggrin:

Zdroyd

Reaction score
Norton is pathetic. Anyone who uses Norton please stop because you are destroying your computer!

Another Anti that destroys your PC is Windows Live One Care... It uses more memory than Halo 1! Every time I tryed to play any other high end game (COD4, Battlefield 2142, etc...) I had to turn off One Care... Which left me unprotected...

AVG is the best "free" antivirus...

T

themasterrocker

Yeah AVG might be the best free antivirus... but it's not totally free, because they make you pay for higher versions... I've never personally used Windows Live One Care, only the safety scanner for msn and that never really had much effect on my laptop. However soon i'm getting a newer laptop because this one is falling apart ;) lmao. I had it for almost 2 years and its basically screwed up. But back to the point, I am picking pieces out of Norton because it is the most complex and hardest anti-virus programme i've ever used! I mean my mum has norton 360 on her laptop and its like soo annoying because it pops up with things and all sorts that annoys her.