What CMS do you suggest?

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I have a lot of experience with HTML, CSS, PHP, and MySQL but none whatsoever in CMS's.

I am starting a web design website and I would like to use a CMS that I can customize easily, that has a wonderful template system (easy to custom theme)... It needs to have speed since I will be hosting it on my free account instead of my paid account since it's limited to 0 add on domains and my blog occupies it.

What would you suggest? Also, if you have any resources that would help me get started themeing the one you chose?

Thanks much in advance!

sourfacedcyclop

Reaction score
I like using Wordpress. If you know what your doing, Wordpress can become an extremely powerful CMS. Its easy to add pages and such as well, which makes it nice to use if you are making a website for a client.

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I've used Wordpress as a CMS before but I need something more... flexible? I heard Joomla is pretty good? Do you know anything about it?

zen-r

Reaction score
I'm no expert, but I have done quick tests on several & found Joomla very easy to use & yet powerful.

There are lots of sites which give support for it, & this one, for example has 2200 templates ;

http://www.joomla24.com/

lhyman

Reaction score
I like joomla only because of the support, have a look at joomla.org

Last edited:

allen92

Reaction score
Joomla in my book is King but I recently have been playing around with Drupal. It's nice, but not as nice as Joomla. Joomla gives you so many more options!

pbmuja

Reaction score
I suggest Joomla, Its very powerful and it has many plugins and modules to add in. It can give less time in editing complex scripts.

allofus

Reaction score
depends what you want to do...

Wordpress is great for the blog style and is easy to mod.

But if you want more on forums joomla and wordpress both suck...

SMF forums has a portal and lots of addons that you can use to turn SMF into a pretty good CMS, easy to install / mod.

Most CMS seem to be a real pain to intergrate forums and blogs into properly so a heavily customised forum may work better for you depending on your aim of the site.
Edit:
phpbb and mybb can be customed pretty easy too.

Large communities.

Last edited:

danprobo

Reaction score
Some time ago there was a survey conducted by eBusiness Solutions Webology about "Which CMS is best? Drupal or Joomla?", And the sample data is the webmaster throughout the world.

Assessment survey is divided into 5 categories:
* Development.
* Documentation.
* Performance and Function.
* Appearance.
* Usage.

Below are the results of the survey:

In this area Joomla win:

* Easy to create attractive website.
* A large choice of themes.
* Interface that is easy to digest for beginners.
* Easy to train clients to use it.
* It's easy to find a master Joomla.

In this area Drupal win:

* Complete documentation for the core and module.
* Little bugs or errors to the core and module.
* Supports Social Networking (Social Networking).
* Supports SEO (Search Engine Optimization).
* Support SSL (Secure Sockets Layer).
* Internationalization support (many languages).
* External Integration.
* Existence of User Management and Permission features.
* The Add-ons quality.
* Easy to create large complex web site.

See the table results of the survey.

You can choose which becomes your primary goal in creating websites based on that survey results.

IMB recommendation to use Drupal.

I recommended Drupal. Drupal has a power, stability and performance but not a good looking, it's hard to find a nice free themes for Drupal. Good looking is one of Drupal limitations, but this days lots web designer start to try out Drupal because the excellent usability improvements from Drupal.

Get your free Drupal themes.

High profile sites using Drupal like Yahoo, BBC, AOL, MTV, Adobe, Warner Bros, Nike, Sun Microsystems, The United Nations, NASA, NATO, IBM, Greenpeace and more. Drupal is for the Geeks!

Who use Drupal? Here's the Drupal users.
More article about Drupal vs. Joomla.

Last edited:

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Yes Joomla has many options and there's free templates all over the web but when you decide to make you're own theme Joomla is far from being easy (that is if you're not good with PHP and CSS). The hardest thing is to understand how it works and I might just have a thing to make it a little bit easier for you. Try this tutorial: http://www.compassdesigns.net/tutorials/208-joomla-15-template-tutorial.html

If you want to integrate a phpBB forum in Joomla (both visual and user integration) try this: http://www.mehdiplugins.com/misc/phpbbjoom.htm

hme2779

Reaction score
I'm really glad I came across this thread, because I was going to use Joomla to build my new business site, but now I've seen a few comments on the strengths of Drupal as well. Does anyone know how exactly Drupal allows for social media? I've heard of Ning, which let's you make a social network on your site, but does Drupal allow you to do that without using Ning?

I've been using WordPress, and it's great for a beginner like me, but now I'm looking for a more complex CMS, for forums and so on.

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm thinking of testing out Drupal soon since it's easier to theme.

coolgbb

Reaction score
I have been using drupal and xoops for a while now, about a year. I tried joomla but found it difficult to find free themes that I liked. I actually prefer the elegant look of joomla but I have found drupal documentation and support forums to be very good. I also chose xoops because of it light weight and easy installation on x10hosting. The themes are pretty good too and I can get modules to suit my needs as well. I would really like to see a sites people have done here with the various CMS tools.

djthewombat

Reaction score
I've been a Joomla/Mambo fan for a long time, and I'd definitely recommend it if you're starting out because of it's huge amount of existing resources and great community support.

That said, I've never even tried Drupal, and I reckon I'll give it a look next site because of some of the comments on here.

Last edited:

skpacman

Reaction score
I'm more for options that are more ... open. I'm a big fan of Open Source programming and have found that most CMS keep their stuff fairly protected. So excuse me while I shy away from joomla and other CMS that protect their code like a priceless jewel.

I'm more for PHPfusion. It's highly customizable, extremely flexible, easily skinned (via css files) and installs in under 5 minutes even if you don't know what you're doing. There are a great number of support and add-on sites for it as well, all you need is a quick google search to find them.

Every time I need a quick CMS for any reason, I use PHPfusion because of its flexibility. After I get the CMS down to how I want it, I build a static website resembling the dynamic CMS that doesn't need a database and loads faster on free host servers.

Ok, that's enough for my rant about CMS.

l8r

skpacman
:nuts: