What CMS do you suggest?

awarepoint

Reaction score
This conversation has definitely got me wanting to try out both Joomla and Drupal now. I'm going to create a membership site in the next few months, and I have a general idea of what I need, but I think I need to actually try these two platforms out to see which one is a good fit. Thanks for all the recommendations and links everyone.

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
It's basically like you asked what browser to use. You just have to try them and see what best suits your needs.

freecrm

Reaction score
Aaaarrgghhhh... CMS....Nooooooo!

I have to admit, I hate CMS systems. They are restrictive and prevent you from really understanding what happens in the background.

That said, Drupal seems OK, but like Leviathons says, it depends on your needs.

denolol

Reaction score
i suggest DATALIFE Engine is a payd script but is super :p i use it for so much things forums phpbb and so much more! its so really cool

zen-r

Reaction score
I'm more for options that are more ... open. I'm a big fan of Open Source programming and have found that most CMS keep their stuff fairly protected. So excuse me while I shy away from joomla and other CMS that protect their code like a priceless jewel.

You've lost me there. :dunno:

Both Joomla & Drupal are Open Source.

What do you mean?

neilkevins

Reaction score
Hi..
As per your comment i will go through it... I'm working on a site for someone and am beginning to contemplate what CMS to use. I've heard good things for Drupal and Joomla, but have no personal experience... Thanks for sharing the post...

fhogoman

Reaction score
I came across Joomla in 2007 with no CMS experience at all - Having HTML, CSS knowledge, I found out how easy and quickly I was able to put a website together using Joomla. I really was impressed with everything from the ease of installation to support and extensions available to create a great looking website. I do use Joomla for some client sites to this day with success.

allofus

Reaction score
Check out www.drupal.org....

I have been building a replacement for our website using wordpressMU, joomla and drupal...

Drupal is winning hands down. A bit of a learning curve to get into the darned thing, but I cannot see any limitations with the CMS. The modules like CCK, VIEWS basically allow you to build any conceivable block, page or whatever.

Need a gallery for example... No need to find and install one, use the modules to make your own custom fields, forms, views.

In the past 2 months I have 'messed' with xoops, wordpress, joomla, mambo, glfusion, etc, etc and drupal makes them all seem pathetic.

Joomla,
I found it to be the worst.
The usergroups are not customisable to any great effect, most of the bridges do not work, any decent module is commercial and half of the mods I have tried are not wc3 compliant or cross-platform...

If you are anything like me you will have taken a look at Drupal, read nothing, achieved nothing and moved away from it... I did this last year, this time around I read the documentation for getting started and now it makes sense to me, is NOT easy to use and seems overly complicated at first, but all soon falls into place and their approach actually makes customisation very easy.

modules for custom builds

views
ctools
cck
webform

There are other dependencies, but each only enhance what you can do.

date
calendar
flag

By combining these different modules you can create any conceivable data collection / query.

Drupal allows you to modify profile fields, run multiple sites / subdomains, forum, file share, blogs, articles, permissions out of the box.

http://drupal.org

guptanws

Reaction score
once i used a CMS (paid) named subdreamer and its highly customizable. not only that ypu will get a vey good support from them.

Regarding joomla: joomla is a very powerful CMS but not as goos as MAMBO, most part of the joomla's code was taken from maambo.

spypatrol007

Reaction score
Joomla isnt that worst its worst if you havent fully learn it,it was my problem when i was a newbie on using joomla.

ah-blabla

Reaction score
If you're making a simpler site I recommend sky blue canvas. It's really easy to use, although it is a more basic cms lacking features such as users, forums etc. (You can see my site, still under construction, with sky blue canvas in my signature.)

Last edited:

Coonz

Reaction score
Drupal in my experience doesn't work well on X10hosting (Atleast with free hosting). You end up using to much resources when adding just a few extensions. Drupal and Joomla are both very nice CMS's and would recommend either of them to anyone. Just a tip, DON'T TRY EXPANDING A CMS WITH ADD-ONS UNTIL YOU KNOW WHAT IT CAN DO!

That's probably the most common thing people run into. They get caught up in making it better when they don't even know the true power of the base product. Which in the end makes it harder for them to learn how to use the cms and gets them confused rather easy. Explore a CMS's power before you look for mods, add-ons, and extensions.

jtwhite

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I really want to learn how to theme Joomla but it seems really hard. However, I've not really put much effort in it. I'm sure if I just sit down one day and look at the code, it would be much easier.