What CMS do you suggest?

kkenny

Reaction score
Yes, I back your idea of choosing Joomla. In my opinion, it is an EXCELLENT CMS, and I prefer it over Drupal. There's only one CMS I like as much as Joomla, and that is e107 for SMALL WEBSITES. Other than that, Joomla is the best CMS. (This is for CMS'es, I usually don't use CMS'es to make forums and such)

pbmuja

Reaction score
I've been creating web designs using CMS way before I've been using Joomla and up to now nothing beats Joomla in terms of features, more plugins, support and very powerful CMS yet its free.

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
They only time I actually used a CMS in a website, I used Joomla, for the extensive plugins, theme, support, etc. However, I am now building my own backend using frameworks as I find that it enables you way more freedom and does not add unwanted features that will only slow down the overall website.

allofus

Reaction score
I have to disagree where joomla is concerned.

If you want yet another joomla website then joomla is for you, if however you want to absolutely be original, custom fields, forms, usergroups, etc etc and basically be able to build a unique website that has exactly what you want,being displayed when, to whome and how you want then joomla is not for you.

If you are not very familiar with php you will run into a brick wall with joomla quite quickly because the plugin you want will not exist.

I recommended drupal because with just a few select plugins you can create any conceivable layout / input fields.

Joomla has some very nice skins, some nice plugins too.

You can create your own plugin if you choose and if you can.

Drupal has all of the above, but the ability to rearrange, amend, add, remove anything you want, text box, file fiends, drops, checkboxes, forms, permissions, for ALL content is easy on drupal, but very difficult on joomla with custom code being the only real solution... If custom code is the answer why use a cms in the first place?

Then you have the joomla / mambo split. Incoherent instructions, incompatible plugins, blurred lines between official and non-official support sites and the fact that many of the plugins are commercial... BUY to TRY.

My own experience was as follows.

Joomla was ideal for the first attempt. Easy to get an out of the box website that has a few 'common' features, forum, blog, gallery.

When we began needing more. more features, more flexibility with usergroups, more custom features then joomla became restrictive, incompatible, expensive and basically a 6 months mistake.

When you have absolutely no clue what you are doing joomla is a good start, but be prepared to abandon it.

Drupal is just as good for the first timer, but it is also built to last.

BUT Alas,
when all is said and done there is the good old 'personal preference'.

tixilite

Reaction score
I suggest Drupal. I am using it myself and it is the easiest CMS I have seen and at the same time remains powerful. When I was first setting up a website I tried Joomla and boy was it hard. I couldn't get anything accomplished. Then I tried Drupal, and in a few hours, I had a website up and running with content. Installing modules(plugins) is very easy. Themes are widely available at drupal.org and you can do pretty much anything you want without a single line of code. My website is currently running and the only time I remember typing or changing code was in a theme (that was my choice) and in htaccess file.

Everything else is done in UI very easily.

webninja

Reaction score
i suggest wordpress I ddnt have any difficulties using it for the first time its very user friendly and a lot of plugins to.

rohitsinha54

Reaction score
joomla is the best just try it once u will love it u will find thousand of tuts on how to videos and help guides for doing anything in joomla which hardlt exists for any other cms and joomla is really powerful and easy to use and maintain

danprobo

Reaction score
I have to disagree where joomla is concerned.

If you want yet another joomla website then joomla is for you, if however you want to absolutely be original, custom fields, forms, usergroups, etc etc and basically be able to build a unique website that has exactly what you want,being displayed when, to whome and how you want then joomla is not for you.

If you are not very familiar with php you will run into a brick wall with joomla quite quickly because the plugin you want will not exist.

I recommended drupal because with just a few select plugins you can create any conceivable layout / input fields.

Joomla has some very nice skins, some nice plugins too.

You can create your own plugin if you choose and if you can.

Drupal has all of the above, but the ability to rearrange, amend, add, remove anything you want, text box, file fiends, drops, checkboxes, forms, permissions, for ALL content is easy on drupal, but very difficult on joomla with custom code being the only real solution... If custom code is the answer why use a cms in the first place?

Then you have the joomla / mambo split. Incoherent instructions, incompatible plugins, blurred lines between official and non-official support sites and the fact that many of the plugins are commercial... BUY to TRY.

My own experience was as follows.

Joomla was ideal for the first attempt. Easy to get an out of the box website that has a few 'common' features, forum, blog, gallery.

When we began needing more. more features, more flexibility with usergroups, more custom features then joomla became restrictive, incompatible, expensive and basically a 6 months mistake.

When you have absolutely no clue what you are doing joomla is a good start, but be prepared to abandon it.

Drupal is just as good for the first timer, but it is also built to last.

BUT Alas,
when all is said and done there is the good old 'personal preference'.

I agree with You :)

First i try Joomla but i want more so i move to Drupal. Drupal is for the Geeks!!

Reaction score
I have [retty much no experience in css, html etc so i know im jumping in the deep and, but what is a simple CMS for an absolute noob like myself that anyone would recommend, i have the ability to learn css, html, php, etc. :happysad:

allofus

Reaction score
As I have said already drupal is not the 'easy solution' but only if you do not read the literature.

As for coding experience. I have built a very dynamic website with drupal without the need to edit a single line of code, just untar the modules in the modules folder and then customise from the admin panel via thewebsite.

http://drupal.org

They also have pre-set builds for pre-set uses, social, activist, tuition.

Run the installer, get the plugins it recommends and your away!

moiety

Reaction score
@200206695
I'd suggest Wordpress for a first attempt. Yes, it's for blogging, but you can turn all that off and end up with a good-looking site in very little time. That you -or your clients- can change as necessary. All done from the control panel...there's no need for you to play with a bit of code if you don't want to.

I'm not big into Joomla. I had a client where the goalposts kept moving and I wanted to plan for absolutely EVERYTHING + ecommerce, so I used the Virtuemart install. And found the whole thing a bit of a nightmare. Possibly I'm being unfair because I went to a complex version from a standing start; but I really found it to be unintuitive and all over the place.

I'm just going to do a site for myself. I'll give Drupal a go, I think.

ciril tomy

Reaction score
Drupal is the best!!!

You don`t need to look around anymore...
Start bulding your site right now.
You can find lots of video tutorials on youtube about installation setup theming and so on...

Best of luck!!

nxtitle

Reaction score
I personally use Drupal because of how flexible it is. I personally use it on many of my websites, and think it's great. I'm actually currently working on modding it so the current latest version works with SQLite.