What do you choose for your blogging platform? Blogger or Wordpress?

danprobo

Reaction score
Sometime maybe we tired thinking about our server etc. and want an instant website like on Blogger or Wordpress.

Currently i use Blogger, why?Its simple but no simpler. Blogger is owned by Google and i think in the future it would be great :)

So what you choose between Blogger and Wordpress?

Here's my blog on Blogger: http://danprobo.blogspot.com (creating about one week ago and more than 90% page is indexed on Google) but no PR yet :)

alague

Reaction score
Well I prefer wordpress, and I host my own blog here at x10hosting. I can easily manage and modify wordpress, especially the templates and I create my own templates too :)

I have a blog at blogger too way back, I was on hiatus and when I came back I decided to have my blog migrated to wordpress.

can I trade links with you? here's my link. http://iambulletproof.x10hosting.com/ feel free to give any comments :D

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Well, I do prefer Wordpress myself, but obviously I'd install it on my own server as I'd like to have full control over the scripts I'm using for modifications sake and such.

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
I've used Blogger for a few weeks, but after I installed Wordpress onto my own website, I was angry I ever used Blogger. Compared to Blogger, the features you get in Wordpress are godly. By using Wordpress, you feel as if you have more control over your own blog, and you can set it up however you want.

The best thing I find about Wordpress is the ability to edit your comments. Sometimes, people post useful things as comments but then leave a bunch of advertising links as well. With Blogger, you have to choose between either accepting it or rejecting it, but with Wordpress, you can edit out what you don't want in your comments.

bradym

Prime Account
Reaction score
I use blogger because it's the easiest to set up. I frequent a blog that uses Wordpress and it is impressive. I was not aware that it was a public blogging site. It looked professional. I'll have to consider it for another blog. But if the response I get to my current blog is any indication, I'm not sure it's worth the time.

changc

Reaction score
I think that in terms of ease use, Blogger definitely wins. It is very simple and quick. I noticed a big drop in productivity when I had to switch to the clunky wordpress admin.

Wordpress, on the other hand, has a huge range of plugins and extra features...now the question is, do you need those features? I have to say no. Many of the "superior" Wordpress features are very gimmicky and not that helpful at all. SEO packs, gravatars, and caching (beaten by google servers) are basically pointless if you don't have good content.

I also think Wordpress themes, despite people saying that there are tons of them out there, are all incredibly bland. I have seen so many "magazine style" layouts that are completely devoid of personality that I just tune them out now. All the people who praise these sleek, SEO-outfitted layouts have no idea what web design is about, which is telling your audience what you are about and drawing attention while communicating information effectively, none of which is done by massive ad blocks and throngs of useless sidebar widgets like "recent posts", "related posts", "top commenter", etc.

If Blogspot could be self-hosted I would do it, but I want my site to be independent from someone who could censor and take down my views, so I use Wordpress.

thrash56

Reaction score
I'd have to agree with what everyone has said here. For ease of use and just plain old simplicity, Blogger is the clear winner. Back when I used to actively blog, Blogger was a simple visit, post and manage system that required incredibly little effort.

For individually hosted and managed blogs, Wordpress is the mammoth that stomps out all the rest. My problem with Wordpress lies with various security concerns. It might be a result of it being the most popular blogging system, but time after time I see new Wordpress exploits and vulnerabilities exposed.

Looking at Wordpress alternatives, I see a few systems that look very elegant and also seem as if they posses that extra specialized touch to them, such as Nucleus CMS or Serendipity. Though I haven't actively installed and played with them, I have looked over what they offer and they bring some nice features to the table, like Nucleus's multiple blog functionality and extendability.

If someone wants to play around with different blog systems, I'd totally recommend at least trying out those two. Who knows, you may get something amazing you didn't even know existed.

csc2ya

Reaction score
I have used both in the past, but now I wouldn't use anything other than wordpress, purely for the amount of customization it offers, along with the ease of use.

I've actually just installed wordpress, and started a blog on here, to document some problems i'm having with my broadband connection.

If anyone fancies taking a look, url is http://csc2ya.co.cc/blog

Last edited:

malfist

Reaction score
I'm going to stick with drupal, it's far better than a simple blogging system, it's a whole CMS and is very modular, meaning I can change whatever I want to with it.

Divinorum

Reaction score
The reason I don't have a blog is because no one cares about my personal life, and that's why I use a forum.

malfist

Reaction score
The reason I don't have a blog is because no one cares about my personal life, and that's why I use a forum.
this.

I don't have a blog either, I use drupal for an special interest organization I help run.

danprobo

Reaction score
I'm going to stick with drupal, it's far better than a simple blogging system, it's a whole CMS and is very modular, meaning I can change whatever I want to with it.

I use drupal too..have three drupal website and using the garland theme for all website.

Ya drupal is so powerful and great for SEO ;)

galaxyAbstractor

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Wordpress selfhosted. Why? It's more customizable, and you can do almost anything with it. You should stay away from blogger, incase google decides to shut it of, then you'll lose your blog. + google can be forced to give your personal details away.

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
Since I personally don't want to tell the world my life, I don't use any blogging platform. However, when I started to work regularly on projects and maintaining them, I needed to be able to easily publish news, not blog posts. This is why I coded myself a news platform. If I had used a already made platform or a CMS, there would be tons of options I wouldn't use. It would simply be too much code overhead.

vekou

Reaction score
i found that some people here who doesn't have a blog have a reason that they don't want to share their personal life to the world. nowadays, people don't use blogs only to write about their personal life. many corporate websites out there are using blogs to promote their products, company, etc.. other private individuals use them as a personal website, and they don't even look like blogs. this is because blogging sites these days are more content-oriented, you post, then you go. blog entries can be automatically grouped and strategically organized to resemble more of a website and less like a blog.

i'm not saying to get a blog, but if you're looking for a simple platform to just organize your posts, a blog can be an alternative. but man, i use drupal.

frins

Reaction score
I prefear Wordpress (and if it's possible self-hosted). Wordpress it's more dynamic, it can accept plug-ins and more elavorated templates.
But in the other hand, Blogger it's owned by Google and this convert it very popular.

rnathans

Reaction score
Well, I personally prefer wordpress.. because it is easy to use... has better collection of themes and wide variety of plugins that satisfies every need of a blogger.

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score

Ha, ditto :)

Since I personally don't want to tell the world my life, I don't use any blogging platform. However, when I started to work regularly on projects and maintaining them, I needed to be able to easily publish news, not blog posts. This is why I coded myself a news platform. If I had used a already made platform or a CMS, there would be tons of options I wouldn't use. It would simply be too much code overhead.

Yeah, I only use Wordpress for the updates section of my website. So basically news.

~Callum

adamparkzer

On Extended Leave
Reaction score
Even if nobody cares about your personal life now, you may become famous one day, then people will be interested in reading back to what you wrote before you got famous. That's a good way to make some money using advertisement revenue. :)