What is the meaning of life? And what naturally follows

intenex

Reaction score
Almost as inevitable as a thread on Hitler and the Nazis.

I can tie virtually anything into this topic, and I plan to do so here as my philosophy on life gradually comes back to me. I don't see much as being off topic in this topic.

As directly as possible, my personal view is that there is no meaning to life. There is only a purpose - to live and let live more (survive [and reproduce]). What are your comments on this? Does this seem depressing to you? Why?

I see everything that we are (as humans, animals, living cells, everything beyond quarks) as inherently motivated by self-preservation and survival. I see everyone as hypocrites and racists. I started keeping small aphorisms (being the pretentious 15 year old that I am) in text files last summer. One of the first went as follows - Hypocrisy is a pre-requisite to self-awareness. Racism (stereotyping) is in its purest sense good and necessary (all these assertions are just that, my beliefs). Step on a snake, get poisoned to the brink of death, better stay away from snakes. Screw giving them a second chance. Defense for this stance comes in the form of mimics (harmless snakes who imitate the truly potent).

Altruism to me is simply indirect selfishness. Survival of the whole for the individual, or simply the best bet for the continued propagation of your genes.

Religion is necessary for survival.

Love lasts one to three years.

I am immortal (many-worlds interpretation).

I am greatly tempted to remark on something else (crucial) as well, but I can't remember what it is. Hopefully it'll come back to me when someone replies to this. If not, well, that's why I try to keep most of my stuff preserved in text files. Because I don't sleep and my memory has gone senile and has Alzheimer's.

oiwio

Reaction score
firstly, its 42!!!

But if we're talking serious, Id have to say that, like you said, life has no meaning, but we're just here to give more life, not neccassarily live it

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
Life is just the time for choices.

You choose to go to heaven or hell...

noerrorsfound

Reaction score
Life is just the time for choices.

You choose to go to heaven or hell...

I completely disagree with this, and you need to elaborate more since this is in Crossfire. The rules say there are no "one liners" and just because you put 1 sentence on each line doesn't mean you've evaded the rule. It just means you need to be detailed and explain your answer.

Life's purpose is to create more life. However, then the question becomes: What's the point of creating new life? If you think it's to continue the human species, the question becomes: What's the point of continuing the human species? And I'm not sure about the answer to that one. Once you're dead, you no longer think. If you actually contributed something significant to the human species, why will it matter when we're probably going to all kill ourselves, or, less likely, die from something we didn't cause? Obviously, when everyone's dead, it won't matter how great you were since not even yourself will know what you did while alive.

I believe this is exactly why we created religions. We needed to know how we got here, and why, and we needed to know we had a purpose. Humans want to know everything, and that's why scientists study things--to figure out one more piece of the puzzle. However, with what we've discovered through scientific research, these religions are getting harder to believe as their stories and our research start to contradict each other.

Last edited:

intenex

Reaction score
Noerrorsfound - I'm with you on most of that post. I believe everything can be traced back to survival, as I've already stated, and thus religion and all that follows is for that purpose. Our innate 'curiosity', too, stems from survival - the more we know, the better the chance we have of surviving.

It's quite effective, actually. Our ability to live comes from our ability to ignore selective truths, and our ability to survive comes from our knowing of those truths.

The question is, in its basest form, why is life's purpose to create more life? And thus - to continue the human species (if human life is at question here). Why is the purpose of human life to continue the human species? Because if it were anything other, we wouldn't have come into existence to begin with. Thus, the purpose of all 'living creatures' must be existence (of course that's not true).

vidprog

Reaction score
Just a quick question about purpose -- Why do you think we have a purpose? If life is simply a great accident (big bang, evolution), why should there be a purpose to it?

Or, if there was a greater being involved in the creation of life, wouldn't that being have had a role in defining a purpose for our lives?

Could it be that the great human quest for purpose might, in fact, actually point to the existence of a greater being?

Just wondering.

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
I believe the meaning of life is to live successfully (not necessarily weathily), be happy, and procreate, thereby passing on the family name. Afterwards, I don't believe anything follows, as the concept of "heaven and hell" is a bit too abstract for me. Ideally everyone would donate their organs upon their death (it is very wasteful to embalm and bury) to give others a second chance at life!

b0bv1la

Reaction score
First off I cant say I completely disagree with your concept. Im of no devout religion and have had my doubts on life in general somedays, but look back on this post in 20 years and tell me if you think the same way. I cant tell you the purpose of my life but I can tell you that I have been led down a path by something. Whether it be fate or Human Nature I cant tell you but to each his own opinion and this is mine.

As for what follows I dont know if there is Heaven and Hell or maybe we are already living in Hell until we get life right or get right with the Man upstairs and then he comes to take us home.

Hope that leaves you some food for thought.

cowctcat

Reaction score
personaly my view on the subject is that the purpose of life is to find out the meaning of life so if any of us found out the meaning of life life would have fulfilled its purpose and cease to exist as anything does after its purpose is fulfilled.

So there are two obvious conclusions that can be drawn from this
1. None of you have guessed the meaning of life- were not all dead are we
2. We should stop trying to figure out the meaning of life unless destroying life is your goal

Sohail

Reaction score
The purpose is life is to follow your religion don't you think. And while you do that you can enjoy life too with family, friends ect...

What do you think?

And this isn't an easy question to be answered you know as i don't think anyone would know the answer :p.

intenex

Reaction score
Just a quick question about purpose -- Why do you think we have a purpose? If life is simply a great accident (big bang, evolution), why should there be a purpose to it?

Or, if there was a greater being involved in the creation of life, wouldn't that being have had a role in defining a purpose for our lives?

Could it be that the great human quest for purpose might, in fact, actually point to the existence of a greater being?

Just wondering.

There's a difference between purpose and meaning. When I state "meaning", I mean something less than tangible - an ulterior and metaphysical reason for life - something less than random. When I say "purpose", I mean what in actuality we do. Our purpose is to survive. Everything we do is somehow geared towards furthering that goal, that purpose. Purpose is direct and not in any way to be confused with meaning.

If you are, on the other hand, asking why I think we have "meaning" (id est, why I created a topic titled "What is the meaning of life"), the answer is I don't. I don't think there is any meaning to life, but I believe that the reason why we as humans search for the great meaning of life is because it is necessary for our continued wellbeing and survival. If we, with our high (respectively, of course) capacity for cognitive thought, came to realize that there was no meaning for life other than the inevitability of infinite randomness and luck, we would be hard pressed to continue surviving with our high sense of morality (necessary for 'altruistic' and many mutually beneficial actions). Thus, we continue this search for meaning, as I do here.
Edit:
I believe the meaning of life is to live successfully (not necessarily weathily), be happy, and procreate, thereby passing on the family name. Afterwards, I don't believe anything follows, as the concept of "heaven and hell" is a bit too abstract for me. Ideally everyone would donate their organs upon their death (it is very wasteful to embalm and bury) to give others a second chance at life!

Yeah, unfortunately that's all a purpose. The pursuit of happiness is one of my greatest irks...quite possibly nature's greatest tool in driving us towards our (her bestowed) purpose. Things that make us happy further our survival and propagation. Things that don't make us sad.

Sex sex sex

Last edited:

kkenny

Reaction score
My meaning of life... is what you make it. Your actions, your thoughts, and everything you do in your life will describe it's meaning. I should search Life in the dictionary to read a strange definition...

intenex

Reaction score
My meaning of life... is what you make it. Your actions, your thoughts, and everything you do in your life will describe it's meaning. I should search Life in the dictionary to read a strange definition...

So there is no objective meaning of life is what I'm getting from this. But do you have choice? Do you truly choose what you do in life, or it is simply the result of luck and circumstance? Or does that even matter? Does everyone have a predestined 'meaning'?

life - The experience of being alive; the course of human events and activities

rlodge

Reaction score
Why does everyone try to figure this out? Why does life have to have a meaning? What if you are just here? No purpose, no meaning, no "Grand Plan". You are just here. Now.

Too many people try to figure out "Why are we here?" and they forget to make the best use of the time they have. Even if you live to be 100 years old, that's less than 1/10 of the age of the universe.

I think we can find better use of the precious little time we have than to try and figure out why we have that time and what's our purpose. If you waste that time, you will regret it. Enjoy the time you have and stop trying to figure out why you have it. You may figure out the meaning of life when you get to be very old and then say to yourself, "Crap...I wasted my entire life trying to figure out the meaning of life."

Last edited:

vidprog

Reaction score
There's a difference between purpose and meaning.

So, if there is a meaning (i.e., reason) to our existence, I would argue that we then have a purpose. I think the converse is also true: if there is no meaning or reason for our existence, then there is no purpose.

It all comes down to what you believe. If you are an atheist, and believe our existence is a result of random chance, then there is no purpose to life; we would then be free to choose our own purpose. There is also no real morality in this scenario.

On the other hand, if you believe in God, then God had a reason for creating us, and you would look to God to provide our purpose.

b0bv1la

Reaction score
Why does everyone try to figure this out? Why does life have to have a meaning? What if you are just here? No purpose, no meaning, no "Grand Plan". You are just here. Now.

Too many people try to figure out "Why are we here?" and they forget to make the best use of the time they have. Even if you live to be 100 years old, that's less than 1/10 of the age of the universe.

I think we can find better use of the precious little time we have than to try and figure out why we have that time and what's our purpose. If you waste that time, you will regret it. Enjoy the time you have and stop trying to figure out why you have it. You may figure out the meaning of life when you get to be very old and then say to yourself, "Crap...I wasted my entire life trying to figure out the meaning of life."
I have to agree life is meant to be lived learn by your mistakes and go on and try not to make the same mistakes twice.

intenex

Reaction score
So, if there is a meaning (i.e., reason) to our existence, I would argue that we then have a purpose. I think the converse is also true: if there is no meaning or reason for our existence, then there is no purpose.

It all comes down to what you believe. If you are an atheist, and believe our existence is a result of random chance, then there is no purpose to life; we would then be free to choose our own purpose. There is also no real morality in this scenario.

On the other hand, if you believe in God, then God had a reason for creating us, and you would look to God to provide our purpose.

The converse would be - if there is a purpose, then there is meaning. The inverse is "If there is no meaning or reason for our existence, then there is no purpose". Why should the inverse and converse be true? This is not a necessary given, as can be readily seen through such arguments as "if it rains, the grass will become green" does not imply that "if the grass is green, it has rained".

And yes, as an atheist, I do believe we have real morality (whatever that is). Our sense of morality merely guides us into doing what is right (beneficial) for survival. If saving another person, being honest to him, not stealing from him, et so on, will be beneficial in the long run (or even the short), we will do it. Survival of the whole often ensures survival of the individual (think hordes). Of course, morality often comes in conflict with direct self-interest, and thus whichever proves more beneficial will more like as not win out (sacrificing yourself to save a complete stranger).

And how can you deny that a "goal" (purpose) of life is to survive? What is the purpose of a bee? What does a bee do? What is the purpose of a dog? What does a dog do? We can be made out of random chance and still have a purpose. I suppose the greatest paradox is that of origination. Where did we all come from? Who created the creator, and how is it possible that he has always been? If he originated out of nothingness, then that too is purpose from nothing. If he always has been, what is his purpose and why is it his purpose?

And no, I do not believe we are free to choose our own purpose. Did we have a choice in being born humans, with our particular set of genes and drives? A seemingly universal sub-purpose of humans is to have sex (propagation --> survival). Did I choose this purpose (goal) with the ultimate aim of survival?

adminhullms

Reaction score
If you want a good philosophical book on this, see The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. It's the little mini-guide to this (I think).

My response is (and some of this came from reading The Alchemist) that our purpose is divided among each seperate person. Some people, they freely choose it, others have it as their destiny, and still others have it as their fate.

Life as a whole has a purpose to accomplish each of their own purposes. All to help the well-being of the world.

Don't accuse me of copying from The Alchemist, because it has influenced me a lot.

intenex

Reaction score
If you want a good philosophical book on this, see The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. It's the little mini-guide to this (I think).

My response is (and some of this came from reading The Alchemist) that our purpose is divided among each seperate person. Some people, they freely choose it, others have it as their destiny, and still others have it as their fate.

Life as a whole has a purpose to accomplish each of their own purposes. All to help the well-being of the world.

Don't accuse me of copying from The Alchemist, because it has influenced me a lot.

Could you clarify a bit as to what this means? The human race has a collective purpose for each person? So "life" (or some deciding force with a purpose, such as God?) decides whether or not we get to decide our fate? How does it determine to who and to what?

Is this implying that the human race is eusocial?

Sohail

Reaction score
I've heard from a few sources that the meaning of life is 42!