what is the worst virus you've had?

Gouri

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
On my own system, till now nothing. Lets hope nothing in the future.

vishal

-::-X10 Guru-::-
Community Support
Reaction score
The worst one i had is the when i downloaded a file .It was a movie file.(NOT EXE) .And the unexpected happened. IT REMOVED TASK MANGER,CMD and also safe mod. Internet was also blocked.
After no other choice , formatted it.

tusharag

Reaction score
Well , no serious virus yet.Only win32virut virus.
I use Norton 360 .

ShadowmasterX

Reaction score
Worst one was when it crashed my computer, booted up, and when i was 1 percent away from backup my system on my portable harddrive, it crashed.... and i did this for over 5 times. I eventually had to remove the virus, forgot what it was called tho. I think my friend gave it to me through a flashdrive. Eff you brian. hahah

fractalfeline

Reaction score
Funny thing, I got a virus recently because I turned off my firewall briefly for a LAN game and forgot to turn it back on whilst browsing. Silly me. I'm not sure what the virus was called but it installed bogus antivirus software and kept popping up a window telling me I'm infected with Every Virus Known To Man. Of course, it disallowed downloads of any kind and refused to let me virus scan with my current software. It was a pain in the arse to kill but luckily I could use my fiancee's computer to look it up and figure out how to kill it.

Malware ads. Do these companies really think that this kind of crap gets their product sold? My fiancee likened it to the Mafia, I reckon that's a good analogy :)

phazzedout

Reaction score
The worst virus I had was the one of my first and last viruses. This virus, I don't know what the name is, but I call it the Avril Lavinge virus because every time I tried to do a system restore the picture of her would pop up. It would attach itself to every HTML file I had, and during this time I was just starting to develop web pages so you could only imagine. Not only was this bad, when ever I tried to remove it by an anti virus it would erase all my HTML files but one and the chain would start all over again. I had to track down this one file before it spreads. I found it and to my surprise it was a long html code, not only that, but my anti virus didn't need to erase all my files just get rid of that code.

One of the bad things about this virus is that it attaches itself to every HTML file so I got IP banned from a lot of websites. :(

csc2ya

Reaction score
On an old dedicated server, I don't know exactly which ones, but it ended up with over 50 different viruses. My only option was to request a reimage from my provider (as easy as clicking a button in my control panel, then waiting for it to be reimaged fortunately)....it froze when I tried doing an online scan, and it didn't have anti-virus on it.

On home computers, the worst i've had on my laptop was vundo.....that was a real pain to get rid of.

On an old desktop computer, we had the msblast/welchia worm.....another pain to get rid of....I eventually got the removal tool and patch from a computer shop where I knew the owner....that turned out to be infected with a different strain of welchia. Had to remove that after using the patch to remove blaster.

iwarrior

Reaction score
i had a virus in my usb Win32.AutoRun.inf some how got into my pc even passed from my anti virus and there was no way i got have delet it my anti virus was saying the file is locked so there wasnt a way to remove it but to format my hard drive.

Last edited:

marley17

Reaction score
probably worst ive seen is the virus that can delete your drive where your OS is installed.. genius right? but i cant post the code here since its very dangerous. just do a research for yourself.. another one is i forget the name but it all hides your files and you have to pay to be able to open it. theres also one. scvhost.exe which gives you a black screen on your desktop ...so you really cant use anything, but a good back up will do the trick,,, never really had any virus searching the net.. downloading and etc,, what i really hate is when they insert they usb's in my pc without my permission or assistance. thats the only time i get infected..

misson

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
NOD32 (paid) or Microsoft Security Essentials (free) would be better.

Somewhat surprisingly, Symantec had top-score in AV Comparitive's 2009 tests, with Kaspersky taking silver and ESET Nod32 taking bronze. Of the free options tested, AVG bested Avira.

AV Test (published via PC World) gave top position to G-Data, with Symantec at #2 and Kaspersky at #3. They placed Avira top of the list of free apps, followed by Avast!, then AVG.

As for me, the last virus I had predated Win 3.11, so I can't remember what it was. I had to deal with Michelangelo on a friend's computer, which was probably the worst. Since then, I've had to deal with worms and other malware on others' computers, but few true viruses and nothing particularly nasty. Wait, I almost forgot about MS Blaster; had to deal with that when it first hit. Mine have been clean, but considering the number of viruses infecting BSD and OS X that are in the wild, this isn't much of an accomplishment.

Malware ads. Do these companies really think that this kind of crap gets their product sold?
Sadly, it does work on the technologically illiterate, who are the malware creators' real targets. Rather like how spam hits far more than its audience, an affect not unlike shooting flies with buckshot.

Last edited:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I've always found AVG to not be the greatest. Avira is one of the best despite it's false positives. Avast is in my opinion the best as well.

callumacrae

not alex mac
Community Support
Reaction score
I prefer not having to install a virus scanner at all to be honest XD

Hasn't this gone slightly off topic?

~Callum