What Programming Language should I learn?

garrettroyce

Community Support
Community Support
Reaction score
My suggestion is don't jump into this too soon. Developing a program is not an easy task. Learning a language takes time and dedication. Then you have to learn how to use the libraries that extend the language. Then you have to develop the program.

If I could start all over again, I would start by learning how my favorite programs work. Some of these programs provide all of the programming code and documentation how the code works. When you find code that makes a lot of sense, then start adding things to the program. Eventually, if you find out that you want to make your own program, you'll already have an example you *may* be able to copy ideas from (check if it's OK first!!!!) and you'll be familiar with the libraries and the code and how they're used.

I studied C++ right out of the gate and I regret it. The bottom line is that tutorials are boring, they don't show you how the program you're imagining is going to work, and they don't really give you broad knowledge of how to get things done. Generally, you only learn how to manipulate basic trivial examples and that's all your program will ever be without this knowledge.

John Klyne

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I say go with html/php which go hand in hand together.

With that you can create websites, heck if you thought of it with html/php you could have started facebook...made google, yahoo...myspace...your CHOICE.

That's right, html/php and with some database language you could make millions...or thousands...or hundreds of thousands... your choice. What you think you can do!