What the best way of dealing with online idiots?

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
keep them acting idiotically and enjoy their words. You will find many idiots here, may be you have counted me one among them.

Twinkie

Banned
Reaction score
Don't humor them. Walk the past of least resistance because resistance will not get you anywhere with those unable to comprehend. I have done my fair share of pointless arguing with idiots, and I leave the argument back where I started feeling upset and frustrated. That is why we call them idiots, because they are not worth dealing with.

Danielx386

Reaction score
Some very good points, and maybe kill then off facebook and msn? That where most of my issues are.

Daniel

jmcgowan

Reaction score
Usually I just ignore the idiotic posts. Occassionally though I will egg them on just because I find it funny. Eventually you get them using complicated circular arguments that I'm pretty sure they don't even understand anymore.

miguelkp

Reaction score
Agree with all of above. Ignoring them is the best, in my opinion. If you don't, probably you will give them more importance tha they really have.

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Best thing you can do is ignore them, I think.

Off topic:
By the way could you please make your sig images a little bit smaller so they can fit the rest of the layout. Thank you.

Gouri

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
First time try to explain them , If they don't listen then ignore them

/*offtopic */

As leviathon said, Please reduce the size of the signature,

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
Ban them, filter out what they say, troll them, or humiliate them. One of those will work.

fractalfeline

Reaction score
Ban them, filter out what they say, troll them, or humiliate them. One of those will work.

I think this is probably more accurate than some of the "bury head in sand" methods I've seen thus-far on this thread.

Trolling and that kind of idiocy is about power. They feel big if they perceive that you feel small. If you bury your head in the sand, and are obvious about how you're ignoring them, it constitutes a victory for them. There's two reasons for this (and probably others): 1. They got the last word. They feel like you've surrendered the fight and no longer have the strength to respond to their idiocy. 2. The more obvious the ignoring, the more they know they annoyed you, which means they have the power to annoy you, which means they will be encouraged to keep pushing the same buttons over and over.

So you gotta be smart about it. They're idiots for a reason right?

The first thing is, figure out which buttons they're pushing, and why you are sensitive to it. Do some serious introspection and figure out what's really bugging you, and why that particular button is sensitive in the first place. Be very very honest with yourself.

Second, take the power away from the idiot. When you've gotten to the point where you know about yourself well enough, and know what you believe, about yourself, and about what is around you, the Reality of the situation... then you can say, with confidence, that the idiot's opinion Does Not Matter. Because you know better. As soon as the idiot's opinion Does Not Matter, then what they say is irrelevant. If you adopt an attitude where you truly believe that their opinion is worth about the same as the gum on your shoe, it will show. And the idiot will see it, because it will be obvious.

An idiot antagonizes people because they get something out of it. Once they see that you are completely unfettered by their inanity, they will stop, and for good.

THEN you ignore them.

Sharky

Community Paragon
Community Support
Reaction score
On iRC, just take the easy option... it's effectively a 'global ignore' ;)
Or /kill

xav0989

Community Public Relation
Community Support
Reaction score
I think this is probably more accurate than some of the "bury head in sand" methods I've seen thus-far on this thread.

Trolling and that kind of idiocy is about power. They feel big if they perceive that you feel small. If you bury your head in the sand, and are obvious about how you're ignoring them, it constitutes a victory for them. There's two reasons for this (and probably others): 1. They got the last word. They feel like you've surrendered the fight and no longer have the strength to respond to their idiocy. 2. The more obvious the ignoring, the more they know they annoyed you, which means they have the power to annoy you, which means they will be encouraged to keep pushing the same buttons over and over.

So you gotta be smart about it. They're idiots for a reason right?

The first thing is, figure out which buttons they're pushing, and why you are sensitive to it. Do some serious introspection and figure out what's really bugging you, and why that particular button is sensitive in the first place. Be very very honest with yourself.

Second, take the power away from the idiot. When you've gotten to the point where you know about yourself well enough, and know what you believe, about yourself, and about what is around you, the Reality of the situation... then you can say, with confidence, that the idiot's opinion Does Not Matter. Because you know better. As soon as the idiot's opinion Does Not Matter, then what they say is irrelevant. If you adopt an attitude where you truly believe that their opinion is worth about the same as the gum on your shoe, it will show. And the idiot will see it, because it will be obvious.

An idiot antagonizes people because they get something out of it. Once they see that you are completely unfettered by their inanity, they will stop, and for good.

THEN you ignore them.
that seems to resume my plan pretty accurately :p

hyssyd

Reaction score
Send the underpants gnomes after them. (southpark reference)

dj0wns

Reaction score
Start spitting out random memes, and southpark references.

but seriously, ignoring doesnt work, it gives the person a sense of victory

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I don't know how can they feel it as victory. Actually it is a great insult