What will be the key in web development this year 2010

cenobite321

Reaction score
I guess still more Web 2.0 development. Maybe this will be the year that Ruby On Rails replaces PHP-made websites in turn for a simpler and more organized style of dev...or maybe not.

Mr. DOS

Reaction score
cenobite321 said:
Maybe this will be the year that Ruby On Rails replaces PHP-made websites in turn for a simpler and more organized style of dev...
Ahahahahaha.

Ahaha...

Ha.

Thanks, I needed a good laugh.

Seriously, I don't think PHP is going anywhere right away (it's just too widespread), and even when it does (technology changes, and PHP's eventual replacement is inevitable), I don't think it'll be Ruby that replaces it. Clean syntax or not, it's still very slow and somewhat inscalable (although they're working on that). We'll see, though.

Who knows what we'll see this year. Personally, I'm hoping for a bit of a return to sanity after all the highly JavaScript-powered sites; I'm as much a fan of JS as the next guy, but it's been heavily overused the last few years, and I think people are starting to see that.

--- Mr. DOS

phddat

Reaction score
Ahahahahaha.

Seriously, I don't think PHP is going anywhere right away (it's just too widespread), and even when it does (technology changes, and PHP's eventual replacement is inevitable),
Who knows what we'll see this year. Personally, I'm hoping for a bit of a return to sanity after all the highly JavaScript-powered sites; I'm as much a fan of JS as the next guy, but it's been heavily overused the last few years, and I think people are starting to see that.

--- Mr. DOS
Totally agree! I think JS will be the key power for this year 2010 (though, It's already in 2009) :happysad:

stesouthby

Reaction score
i think that flash sites are coming to an end and as the users above me state its going to be JS and maybe a lil php :p

lgm432

Reaction score
In my opinion, Its going to be a great start to a new decade and the web will soar with php, flash, css, etc.

Perhaps even a new upcoming language is being developed as we speak? :lockd::dunno::lockd:

The Real Rebel

Reaction score
Ahahahahaha.

Ahaha...

Ha.

Thanks, I needed a good laugh.

Seriously, I don't think PHP is going anywhere right away (it's just too widespread), and even when it does (technology changes, and PHP's eventual replacement is inevitable), I don't think it'll be Ruby that replaces it. Clean syntax or not, it's still very slow and somewhat inscalable (although they're working on that). We'll see, though.

--- Mr. DOS

Agreed, Allthough I'm sure tables will eventually die out within the next 2 years, Then we will be on css only :D finally!!!!! :D

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
First of all I don't believe that PHP will be replaced with something new at least for 5 more years because PHP will adopt any new technology and implement it into it's core. It's most widely used programming language for the web right know, it's similar to C-like languages, and it's powerfull enough for almost any kind of application. That should be enough to make it stick around for a while.

What will be the key in web development this year then?
1) Well, I believe that CSS 3 and HTML 5 will eventually be supported in every new browser by the end of this year and that people will start using them.
2) Google Waves is sure to be a great platform for developers and I also expect Android to gain in popularity.
3) JS is definitely here to stay and I hope we will see some more great stuff made with it.

As for the new programing languages I don't believe that something new will come over night and replace PHP and other languages used right know.

ah-blabla

Reaction score
- HTML 5 all the way. Look at things like Bespin for an example of what is possible. I doubt Microsoft is going to go anywhere near properly supporting html5 though.
- PHP will also be going away slowly, but it won't be anything dramatic. It seems that Python (and django) is gaining some momentum.

I don't really care much about JS. I usually have it disabled, there's not much use for it. Just keep pages simple instead of overloading them with code... I really hope flash dies out though. It's one of the most inefficient things around, and simply said, unnecessary. With html5 video and theora support in "real" browsers that is also more likely to happen.

farscapeone

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I don't agree with you about the JS. It's more popular now then ever before and there's a good reason for that too. When Mootools, jQuery, Prototype, ... and other JavaScript frameworks came out we saw how useful it can be. Facebook, Gmail, Joomla, WordPress, ... you name it, they all use advanced JS functionality to make our lives easier. JS provides an excellent platform for user interactivity and it enhances the overall usability of any website or web app.

Try getting more deep into it and you'll see ;)

psycrosis

Reaction score
I don't think that it will happen this year but i do believe the future of the web is client side distributed applications. When server side stuff came around it was back when people had really slow computers and very limited bandwidth. Now bandwidth is huge and computers are ultra fast. With alot more people on the web with high speed connections it can become a burden on servers. With the distributed model it eases of the backbone of the internet and allows user to have a richer experience then what can be provided now. Examples of what I'm talking about would be stuff like Java(which I believe pioneered distributed applications) WPF with xbap's, Silverlight, Flash(Though this was designed to deliver multimedia content but can and does do apps e.g. the irc chat app here) Of course by distributed apps I also mean uses by interfaces other then computer terminals such as phones and other gadgets that have an internet connection. Server side spripting won't go away anytime soon though as the web is quite largely integrated with sites that use the technology and there are plenty of scenarios where a web interface is more suitable such as accessing a router without needing any apps installed on the computer.