whats the best forum script

ASPX.King

Reaction score
in my mind, there is no one best forum script.
mybb is good, if you're using joomla then fireboard is also good. vbulletin is good for large commercial forums, (that's what x10 uses) and there's a small one by the makers of wordpress, i don't remember what it's called, but it isn't very good.

it's really just a matter of personal opinion.

kkenny

Reaction score
It also depends on your coding expertise and level to modify functions, skin the forum, and add plugins etc.,

A few of the forums for wordpress aren't THAT bad, they just need to be worked on...

LHVWB

Reaction score
I would say that phpbb3 and SMF are the better free forum software packages. Are you talking about forum software packages which you have to pay for or free forum software packages?

I personally prefer SMF because of the package management system.

Last edited:

sunils

Reaction score
SMF is the best opensource forum script.
If you want a paid one, you can go for vBulletin

tittat

Reaction score
If you only want just a forum phpbb3 will do well.
But if you are looking further i will recommend e107 forums.
You can also integrate phpbb3 with e107.So you get the double benefit of e107 and phpbb3.Also you can go for alternate user authentication between e107 and phpbb3.The only difficulty is that its not so simple to integrate phpbb3 with e107.But being a user i will say its powerful and it has double the benefit of e107 and phpbb3.
Or if you have enough money go for Vbulletin,as you see x10 rocks with v-bulletin.

VPmase

Reaction score
If you only want just a forum phpbb3 will do well.
But if you are looking further i will recommend e107 forums.
You can also integrate phpbb3 with e107.So you get the double benefit of e107 and phpbb3.Also you can go for alternate user authentication between e107 and phpbb3.The only difficulty is that its not so simple to integrate phpbb3 with e107.But being a user i will say its powerful and it has double the benefit of e107 and phpbb3.
Or if you have enough money go for Vbulletin,as you see x10 rocks with v-bulletin.
Lol, I was just about to say e107 too. Its an incredible CMS thats easy to use.

2K8 Group

Reaction score
I use MyBB which I personally think is the best free forum script. If you want to pay for one I suggest IPB. MyBB is great simply because the styling was easy to customize. There are some great plugins such as My Plaza which is a points system and has some great features that I really liked. So all in all I think of you want a free script I suggest MyBB but if you want to buy one it will be IPB.

tnl2k7

Banned
Reaction score
MyBB is, in my opinion, the best forum solution there is. It's easy to theme, pretty easy to use for both the user and the administrator and is similar to vBulletin in many respects. There's also a heck of a lot of pretty decent mods you can download from the main site.

You can grab it free of charge here.

-Luke.

kkenny

Reaction score
SMF is the best opensource forum script.
If you want a paid one, you can go for vBulletin

After looking through a lot of scripts throughly, I have set up my order of preferences.

Best Overall
1. SMF
2. phpBB 3
3. myBB

Lite (Good for Low Bandwidth)
1. BBPress
2. Phorum
3. phpBB 2

Easiest Learning Curve
1. myBB
2. punBB
3. Vanilla

Hardest Learning Curve
1. phpBB3
2. phpBB2
3. Phorum

There is still quite many others out there, you just have to look for it/them.

g-force

Reaction score
i really like nuke-evolution cms, which uses a modified version of phpbb2

Monawco

Reaction score
when I first started I was using phpBB2, and now I upgraded to phpBB3 and I must say phpBB3 is very good.

What I love about phpBB, is how you can just customize the hell out of it, vBulletin, IPB... you can also do the same, but with phpBB (at least to me) the sky is the limit... plus its free.
Just try it out on this host : free forum hosting