Whats the best oporating system for a web host

tipsta

Reaction score
Sup,

This is my first post but meh,

Now i was wondering what the community thinks is the best operating system for a web host, and then moving to a web and server host.
Im currently using linux and i have found a bunch of addons for cPanel and WHM for server hosting, http://cpgs.cpanel.net/ which looks very good?

But really should i be using windows for a task like this?

-Tipsta\

EDIT

I know the title is wrong, stupid firefox

Last edited:

toyowheelin

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
Linux is the most widely used OS there is for webservers, it can and usually is ran with no GUI cutting down on unnecessarily used resources and there are a wide variety of different web server software that will run on it. So I would say that pretty much any distro of Linux beats windows at web hosting, unless of course you are REALLY REALLY into ASP, but even then you can run most ASP.net applications on a linux server using mono.

Zubair

Community Leader
Community Support
Reaction score
Linux is the best OS to run a Web Hosting

It has many features and also it is more reliable..

Last edited:

wongers

Reaction score
its got to be a nice and light weight Linux distrobution, keep as many resources free as possible whilst providing maximum functionality.

so yeah, something like Ubuntu will pretty much do it :) .. .. .. i wonder if anyone has tailored a Linux Distrobution around the functionality of a webserver?

i'll read in to it, altho i dont know if i'll actually find anything or not lol

smurfboi76

Reaction score
I have to agree with all of the other posters. I think that Linux is the best operating system for hosting in general I use it when I am hosting Game Servers and will use it every time I need to host something.. It is just a better OS than Windows even windows server edition. I have used Linux on older computers and it allows them to be faster and more efficient than if they had to run Windows.

phazzedout

Reaction score
There is not contest here, Linux (any Distro) is better than Windows at being a web server. It is light weight, and at times you do not even have to run the GUI which adds more strain to your server(s). I don't know if Mac OS X has been used for servers, but even if they did they would be along the ranks of Windows. Open Source really helps Linux be the best at web servers.

deltavolt

Reaction score
There is not contest here, Linux (any Distro) is better than Windows at being a web server. It is light weight, and at times you do not even have to run the GUI which adds more strain to your server(s). I don't know if Mac OS X has been used for servers, but even if they did they would be along the ranks of Windows. Open Source really helps Linux be the best at web servers.

OSX Server:
http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/

Linux is best for servers.

Last edited:

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
For running websites and heavy duty scripts, Linux all the way. A lot of web hosts use CentOS. If you're running game servers, a properly set up and locked down Windows box will work great. I've never used OSX Server edition or have I been able to get my hands on it so I don't know how that fares, but I have come across a few OS-X powered websites and they run just as well.

Last edited: