Whats the best way to make a wordpress theme?

fezzii

Reaction score
does anyone here know what the best way to make a simple wordpress theme is?
i already know how to CSS and stuff like that but i have no idea how to use the php functions properly, everytime i try i get error.
and the header, the footer, the sidebar all seem a bit wrong ?
:dunno:

Anna

I am just me
Staff member
Reaction score
Wordpress is perhaps not the easiest one to make a theme for, it takes a bit digging in the documentation to figure all things out.

The best way is by starting with reading up at wordpress.org. Also I recommend using a working theme as base and start with a simple restyle of it, to get to know how things work together.

These two addresses holds almost all information about the functions you might need:
http://codex.wordpress.org/functions.php_list
http://codex.wordpress.org/Template_Tags

Checking this one is also a good idea: http://codex.wordpress.org/Theme_Development

I've always used the default theme as my base.

nterror

Reaction score
I started using Wordpress about a month ago. I thought creating a theme was easy (took 2 hours).

What really helped out was using a bare bones theme:
http://rubiqube.com/free-wordpress-theme-empty-canvas/

Its not a framework, its just a basic layout with the neccesary blog functions.

Then I just copy/pasted my XHTML to the corresponding areas (sidebar went into Sidebar, header stuff into Header, etc.) and changed some CSS.

I second LadyAnna's links, those help too, especially when customizing the output.

digitalfarm

Reaction score
there a lot of frameworks out their .try k2 it is a simle layout based on the default kubrick theme

rickyvogay

Reaction score
Hi...
I have some information regarding it.. And the tools which are use for it...
I used the following free tools to develop my theme.

* GIMP – Free image editing software
* Cooltext online tool to create buttons and logo
* Notepad to edit css, php files
* W3C validator for XHTML and CSS validator
* Firebug add-on to inspect and modify stylesheets
* Browsershots – online service to check older browser compatibility
* YSlow addon for Firebug to test the page download speed
* SubmitExpress metatag analyzer to check the meta tags

Last edited:

digitalfarm

Reaction score
Hi...
I have some information regarding it.. And the tools which are use for it...
I used the following free tools to develop my theme.

* GIMP – Free image editing software
* Cooltext online tool to create buttons and logo
* Notepad to edit css, php files
* W3C validator for XHTML and CSS validator
* Firebug add-on to inspect and modify stylesheets
* Browsershots – online service to check older browser compatibility
* YSlow addon for Firebug to test the page download speed
* SubmitExpress metatag analyzer to check the meta tags

Yea I highly recommend the Firebug add-on.I really helped me to understand and do a wordpress theme.This is a great tool for any designer.it is helpful also to start with a simple theme and experimenting with it. There are lots of themes that promote development but the trick is finding one that fits your style .Wordpress is very powerful the possibilities are endless I Have realized!

Last edited:

sourfacedcyclop

Reaction score
The best way to learn Wordpress is by going through the default theme line by line, and learning what everything does. It's what I did, and it took no time at all to learn.

Last edited:

user681

Reaction score
The best way to learn Wordpress is by going through the default theme line by line, and learning what everything does. It's what I did, and it took no time at all to learn.

How long exactly?? is there a tutorial made for learning the default theme??

sourfacedcyclop

Reaction score
A couple of weeks. What I did was, eliminate any unneeded styling from the default theme. Then slowly go through the remaining code and find what it did. I would delete sections of it to see what was effected and so forth. Basically, when it comes down to web design, I personally think nothing works better than trial and error.

user681

Reaction score
A couple of weeks. What I did was, eliminate any unneeded styling from the default theme. Then slowly go through the remaining code and find what it did. I would delete sections of it to see what was effected and so forth. Basically, when it comes down to web design, I personally think nothing works better than trial and error.
haha yeah trial and error is probably the best and solid way to learn stuff..but it isn't always the most efficient way..I honestly think there should be more guide/tutorials on the internet for desgining wordpress theme

nterror

Reaction score
No. A basic understanding is helpful though.

The function names wrapped around <?php *codehere* ?> are pretty straightforward. For example the_title() is the title of the post, the_author() is the author of the post, and so on. I just wrapped my XHTML around it and was good to go. :cool:

user681

Reaction score
No. A basic understanding is helpful though.

The function names wrapped around <?php *codehere* ?> are pretty straightforward. For example the_title() is the title of the post, the_author() is the author of the post, and so on. I just wrapped my XHTML around it and was good to go. :cool:
I understand the basic of php..but I don't quite get the loop and also..say if i want a site with different pages and these different pages i want them to have different layout (different css) and if i was to implent this in wordpress how would I do this??

ChatIndia

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
I've seen one software for that, its name is Artisteer 2. Check for it