When buying a new computer, which type of CPU should I get?

Which type of CPU should I get for my 2012 birthday present?

• Intel Core2Duo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Intel Core I3

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

supanut200042

Reaction score
Since my next birthday is on February 29th, 2012, and my present will be a new computer, which CPU should I be looking for?
For me I would chose Intel I7.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
If you're a real heavy computer user who does a lot of video/audio work, multitasks a ton or plays video games definitely go for the i7. The i5 otherwise would be your choice. The Core2Duo CPUs as well as the i3s are on what you would call the same performance level based on clock speed and caches, so they are good CPUs as well but not something I would really lean towards today unless people are on a budget. As for Intel's new i9 series, it's early to tell if they're worth it.

Keep in mind too, AMD is also an option. Systems using their components tend to be a little cheaper but often times pack similar punches as Intel CPUs do. The Phenom II series from AMD will match Intel's i7 line.

stardom

Reaction score
I am rocking a 1.8ghz AMD Phenom quad. It performs as well as my friends 2.0ghz Intel quad. Like Smith said. Phenom II will be able to match intel's i7, the only difference is AMD is cheaper. Also more friendly to OC . Of course if you don't have top notch matching counterparts. I.E. good mobo, good gfx card, good ram...then your i7-i9 wont be worth much...Also make sure you are running Win 7 (64bit).

My motto on this is. If you have the money buy the best you can afford. I built mine as a budget gaming pc, So the only way it really impresses people is on the price it cost to build it. Haven't had a game slow me down yet, though I haven't been gaming much on it lately.

vekou

Reaction score
well if it was a gift, go for the most expensive, get the i9!!

khopcraft77

Reaction score
I picked the I9 because it will probably blow everything out of the water. However, I have my preference with AMD, and if there were options there, I would vote for them instead. The prices for AMD are ridiculous in a great way.

henk506673

Reaction score
depending on when the core i9 comes out i would get that, if it does not come out till 2013 i would go for the i7 but it is your decision

cybrax

Community Advocate
Community Support
Reaction score
The Intel i9 is the one geeks are dribbling over at the moment but the price tag is causing a few choking fits even amongst the uber hardcore. Unless you are processing video or performing some other intensive task such as number crunching through rainbow tables then the i9 is overkill for your needs.

Personally a big fan of the AMD series, great bang per buck value and good enough for most needs including gaming and graphics workstations.

stpvoice

Community Support Rep
Community Support
Reaction score
Moved to Computers and Technology.

DanielWhite

Reaction score
Personally a big fan of the AMD series, great bang per buck value and good enough for most needs including gaming and graphics workstations.

Definitely. Ever since making the switch from Intel to AMD CPU, I haven't looked back and I now find Intel to be slower than a snail and horribly overpriced.

AMD also tends to run cooler than Intel also.

gouri78

Reaction score
i feel that i5 is ok
no much difference between i5 n i7
it only differs when u go for very higher performance processes and higher software's like autocad 2011 maya etc

sakshi.mandge25

Reaction score
Since my next birthday is on February 29th, 2012, and my present will be a new computer, which CPU should I be looking for?
For me I would chose Intel I7.

Go for the Intel i9, as your birthday is on a leap year & will come only after 4 yrs, so go for the best the ultimate... have a blast.. ;)

theone48

Reaction score
My two cents: Go for the highest speed at the most reasonable price. A bummer, huh. lol.

henk506673

Reaction score
I am going to retract my previeous statement and say go amd fx 8120
It is the only true 8 core processor out there and it is awsome.