Which is better ATI or NVIDIA?

Logofactors

Reaction score
I am going to buy a new computer system. What about graphics card? ATI or NVIDIA? which cards are you using?
What about the SLI and CrossFire?:nuts:

Zangetsu

Reaction score
it depends on your budget if you want good graphics at a low price go for ATI if you want lower graphics at a high price go for Nvidia

Spartan Erik

Retired
Reaction score
I've got an 8800GT, but I wish I waited since prices for them have dropped a bit. Works great on games like COD4/5, Crysis, GRID, and pretty much anything you throw at it. There are cards that out perform it, but its a good all-around-budgety buy. If you've got dough and want the best of the best, the nVidia GTX280 is the best card you can get at the moment. Although the ATi HD4870 is statistically better than the GTX280, the nVidia still outperforms the ATi card (likely driver related)

If you're buying a computer from a major retailer, i.e. Dell, they will stick you hard for a good graphics card. I've seen vendors charge up to $250 for an 8800GT (which normally costs ~$100 nowadays). I suggest you buy a computer that has a good processor and power supply, and buy a graphics card seperately and install it yourself (make sure you've got a good enough power supply, the appropriate PCI-E slots, and space available on your mobo)

Last edited:

Sup3rkirby

Reaction score
I'm not exactly an expert, but I have read and heard a lot about graphics cards recently.

Essentially, at this current point and time, NVIDIA would probably be the best(if money is not an issue), but based on what I've been told, ATI is headed in a much better direction than NVIDIA.

You can get good cards at a low price from either company though. The performance is still rather similar on each end. An 8800 GT would be great to get. And Erik is right as they are a little over $100 now days, so if you are serious about graphics, this should be a great price for you.

If you just don't have the money or aren't planning on super high graphics there are cards that are cheaper and still good. I'm using an 8600 GT that was only ~$65. And really for around $70 you can get some pretty decent cards from both vendors.

If you are going to do SLI or Crossfire, well just make sure your Motherboard has enough slots, and remember this can get pricy, but if you are seriously considering it and are very serious about your graphics, then I'd assume you aren't worried about the price too much.

Doubt I was much more helpful, but I felt like posting.

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
I'm an nVidia person. With CUDA enabled programs coming along and the latest drivers allowing the video cards to do more and act as a co-processor to the system, it's a better deal. While ATi cards may be faster, the GeForce cards have always seemed to have shown to score slightly higher in benchmarks. Not always, but most of the time.

balaji2u

Reaction score
i had lot of problems with nvidia geforce series decided to stick no ati .

tridge

Reaction score
I'm madly in love with my SLi Nvidia. I have heard that the current Crossfire systems only preform as well as a single GPU from Nvidia of the same generation/time. Is this found to be true?