WHich is the best Antivirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

vibiz

Reaction score
Which is the best antivirus ? without consuming huge system resources............. of the computer

eagles051387

Reaction score
for me the best is avg. i also use avira and avast they both find stuff that the other 2 dont

Smith6612

I ate all of the x10Pizza
Community Support
Reaction score
AVG. I have it installed on even my Vista computer (the gaming one) and it works nicely. Not a system hog at all, very quiet, but very good.

tektrnica

Reaction score
NOD32 :D mainly cause its light weight, simple and very powerful,

used to use AVG, but stopped using it as its performance started to slip...

Socius

Reaction score
Avira and COMODO (firewall pro)
both work fine, detected more then my previous Norton installation and they start up within 5 seconds ;)

loopyloser

Reaction score
AVG/Nod32 are great, I like the mcafee firewall but its VERY controling of your computer.

alexandgruntz

Reaction score
I use avast, it works great and automatically updates without nagging me or interrupting full-screen apps. It doesn't slow down my Vista PC either.

TechAsh

Retired
Reaction score
I've used both McAfee and ZoneAlarm, and both seem to be quite good. I'd say that McAfee consumes more system resources, but that ZoneAlarm has more annoying alerts. I've also noticed that ZoneAlarm has picked up a few things which McAfee didn't.

I'd say that ZoneAlarm is probably my favourite out of these two. I haven't tried any other firewall/anti-virus/anti-spyware software, so I don't know if there is something better out there.

terrysolid

Reaction score
NOD32 for the win. Very thorough scanning and low resource usage. I would recommend version 2.7 over 3, as 3 is very new and has not yet had all the bugs ironed out.

aionline

Reaction score
I'm saying Avira cause it's what I'm using. Fast, efficient and effective. ;)

mattura

Reaction score
AVG is good as a free antivirus, but often a little 'behind the times' with definitions. But it's free.
Everyone (including me) hates Norton as it is very intrusive and practically takes over your computer.
Comodo firewall is really good (and free and open source).
Antispyware software that 'catches everything' often 'catches' harmless cookies and 'data-miners' which are actually nothing sinister. So if you compare these products by how much they find, you won't necessarily get the best software.
Instead, just carefully manage your cookies (including flash cookies - go on, wikipedia 'local shared object'), and make sure you know your browser's security settings.
And of course, never run executable files taken from dodgy sites!

digitalx

Reaction score
I used to use Eset nod32 but found that it was resource hungry
I run a small w2k machine....

I finally uninstalled ALL my anti virus' and in stalled spybot
why you ask... cause ALL the new viruses the 1st thing they do is disable the anti virus engine ...DUH so I'm just careful about what I click on and scan any files I download using the site virustotal.com
this is really a dope service and no it's not my site.....

Ozzapoo

Reaction score
Spybot is pretty good...
I used to have pc-cillin but I just could not stand it. Because when I got a trojan, it just kept popping up so much that I could not do anything on my computer...
Ad-aware is good too ;)

Last edited:

Zenax

Reaction score
I have noticed that no-one has mentioned Symantecs Nortons Anti-Virus or Nortons 360. Thats what I have at home and it does the trick for me!

Xemnas

Reaction score
You really should consider using something other than Norton, because frankly it's crap. Get ZoneAlarm Security Suite, it gives you full control over how programs run, use the Internet etc. And it has antivirus/antispyware tools, hasn't failed me yet (and even on the rare occasions when it did, it was never anything Safe Mode and CleanUp! couldn't fix).

Last edited:

digitalx

Reaction score
norton takes over your computer and is almost impossible to uninstall 100%

anyway have can you combat against a virus that disables the antivirus engine...

bookworm99

Reaction score
Personally, I use AVG Free on most computers, combined with Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE Personal, Spybot Search & Destroy, CCleaner 2.0+ and either COMODO Personal Firewall or PC Tools Firewall Plus. However, on my Macbook's Vista partition I recently got a free copy of AVG Internet Security 8.0 via TrialPay, which encompasses pretty much encompasses all my needs - I do keep Ad-aware/spybot just in case, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.